Reviews IllMuzik Beat Reviews: 1987

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
19871000.jpg

1987 was a very interesting year for Rap music because it was when a lot of hits were made, thanks to the top notch production from various Hip Hop producers. What these people accomplished, paved the way for many years of dope beats that came out, and in order for beatmakers and producers of today to succeed, we need to take a look back at how it was done back in the day.

The common theme amongst these beats is one word - simple. Everything was kept at a minimum, which left plenty of room for the MC to do their thing, and for the DJ to add his cuts.

I have compiled this list based on the beats, not the song itself. It was hard to find instrumentals of these songs so I decided to put the full song instead. When listening, try to block out the vocals and listen to how the beats were pieced together.

I was going to rank these beats but decided that they’re all so good that it’s best to just list them and leave the ranking for the comments below.

Eric B. & Rakim - “I Ain’t No Joke”

Easily recognizable with the Jazz horns popping in and out, this track is simple but perfect for a vocal track. The kick and snare sound great together, with an added hand clap on the snare and just the right amount of reverb to give the beat some extra spice. The fact that they also threw in some basic scratches on the beat is an added bonus.

But it’s the horns that really makes this track stand out and makes it a beat that goes so well with Rakim’s voice. It’s also a great beat to freestyle over, so if this was 1987 and you were a rapper, you’d have flow over this beat!

Audio Two - “Top Billin’”

Never has a simple beat been so popular and so heavily sampled by other artists (namely the vocals), than “Top Billin’”. There’s not much to mention about this beat because it’s just that - a beat. Kick, snare, and hat. Boom, that’s it. Compared to today’s style of beats, this one would only be a starting point for modern producers.

What makes it so special is two things: the multiple kicks and the sound of the kick and snare together. The snare is flat and somewhat dull but it just sounds so good with the kick. Add in the multiple kicks and they sort of sound like a build up, which is what keeps the listener listening.

BDP - “The Bridge Is Over”

One of the things about Hip Hop beats from the 80’s is the lack of swing on the drums, and this is a perfect example of that. But it works!

The drum track is straightforward and once the piano sample drops in, it really draws in the listener because in 1987 most beats consisted of fast hits, rather than a piano melody.

However, I think the best part of this beat is actually the cymbal hit that drops in every few bars. It’s a great addition, and no matter how simple it sounds, it just works.

BDP - “9mm Goes Bang”

There were quite a few beats from BDP over the years that were heavily influenced by the Reggae genre, and this is a great example.

Like “The Bridge Is Over”, it’s a dope drum track with a cymbal every few bars, but the main thing that keeps the listener interested is the Reggae-inspired bassline. At first it doesn’t really seem like a bassline, but more of a guitar lead with reverb on it, but whatever it is, it’s what makes this beat stand out from the rest.

Eric B. & Rakim - “My Melody”

A typical style of beat from 1987, but with a twist. This one hits hard! With a name like “My Melody”, you would think it was some laid-back and chill beat, but not at all.

What’s great about this beat is that the drums just bang hard and sound like something monstrous, so it works so well with Rakim’s voice. Add in the tough scratches on the hook (all scratches back then were hardcore too), and you have yourself a winner.

This beat still hits hard today.

N.W.A. - “Dope Man”

The remix version of this is much better than the original, but even the original is a beast!

What’s great about this beat is that it’s just the 808 drums that Dr. Dre used. That’s it. It’s like he just pounded on the drum machine pads and pushed this beat out of an actual crack house.

To top it off, he somehow made the drums even harder on the hook, especially the kick. Dope indeed.

Hands down the hardest beat on this list, and a beat that can easily destroy others for years to come.

Kool Moe Dee - “How Ya Like Me Now”

Kool Moe Dee was always more on the dance side of Rap music, but that’s what he did best so that’s why he ranks as one of the best.

In 1987, he was on point with many great songs like “Wild Wild West” (the video is hilarious), but it’s “How Ya Like Me Now” that makes this list because of its uptempo style.

A fast drum track and a dope guitar riff is enough to make this a solid beat, but then they threw in some horns as well to make it complete. He always seemed to have beats that were very Funk influenced, sort of like a James Brown style.

With his fast vocal delivery, this beat was perfect for him, but it’s also great for freestyling, dancing, or for a movie scene of someone walking down the street (someone should use that).

Biz Markie - “Nobody Beats The Biz”

This is one of the most popular Hip Hop beats of all time, and with good reason. Biz managed to have a solid drum track (that kick!) that is enough for an MC of his calibre, but they went a step further and added a very dope sample to it.

For those too young to remember, this beat sampled “Fly Like An Eagle” from the Steve Miller Band.

What I really like is that he didn’t use the sample all throughout. Rather, he used it sparingly, letting the drums carry most of the beat.

Spoonie Gee - “The Godfather”

Spoonie’s beats were similar to what Kool Moe Dee had. Uptempo and Funk-inspired. His vocals on this track were a bit monotone but it doesn’t matter because it worked well.

The beat though is special because of a few things: the bassline, and of course the guitar.

The bassline really carries this beat, with its constant pulse, plus the fact that it goes up a few notes during the breakdown which is a nice addition. The guitar riff is also dope because without it, the beat wouldn’t be as exciting.

I’ve scratched over this beat, and also heard others freestyle over it because it’s capable of being diverse like that.

Roxanne Shante - “Payback”

Such a hard-hitting beat for a female MC in 1987 is rare and this one is great because it borrows from MC Shan’s “The Bridge”. Very hard drums is what makes up most of this beat, but it’s the various sound hits that make it stand out.

It’s also special since it features a bit of scratching on the hook but also while she’s rapping, and it’s minimal enough that it fits very well.

Produced by LG The Teacher (Lawrence Goodman from the Hilltop Hustlers in Philadelphia), it sounds similar to something Marley Marl would produce, but maybe that’s a good thing, no?

MC Shan - “The Bridge”

What can I say? This Marley Marl produced beat is arguably the best on the list not just for the beat itself but for what it represented. Talking about when Hip Hop started, it sparked drama between rival crews that went on for years.

The beat is very dope though. Marley outdid himself on this one with just the drums since they hit very hard. He grabbed them from the famous “Impeach The President” song from the Honey Drippers and really beefed them up. Then he added in various sample hits and the well known “the bridge” vocal snippet that he repeats on the hook.

A classic Hip Hop beat.

Big Daddy Kane - “Raw”

How could I not include this beat on the list? Taking the drums from the Bobby Byrd track “Hot Pants” was the best decision they could make. Just those fast drums alone make this beat really dope, but then on the hook a few riffs were added in along with some scratches for good measure, making this a hit.

There really isn’t too much about this beat but that’s what’s great about it. Loop up a dope drum track and throw in a riff and multiple hits like the quick James Brown vocal snippet, then add Kane’s vocals on top - done!

Further Reading About Music Production

members online