Reviews 3:33 - Live From the Grove

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
1861882953-1-300x300.jpg

3:33's latest release "Live from the Grove" is abrasive, rugged music that cuts skin deep, relentlessly pounding our ears with some of the darkest sounding hip hop I have ever heard. One could write an entire essay on the cover alone, which depicts a ritual performed at the "Bohemian Grove" somewhere in California. I won't go into the history of it, since I don't want to stray from the music itself.

LFTG-1: The album starts of with a monologue from the grove, setting the mood and tone of the album.

LFTG-2: Track 2 starts off with a lovely guitar riff that permeates the entire track. The drums kick in and a droning bass carries the tune. Odd sounds and effects phase in and out of the track.

LFTG-3: Track 3 is a track that starts off with an almost whining sound that changes pitch throughout. The drums are intense, with sudden changes happening fairly often.

LFTG-4: Track 4 kicks off with some booming drums and haunting sounds that just resonate the word "dark". If one could hear hip-hop in Silent Hill, this is what you would hear.

LFTG-5: Track 5 is a solid track that is carried by a repeated melody throughout, and is accompanied by a "far east" type of singing.

LFTG-6: Track 6 is another hard hitting song with drums that will test even the most rugged sound systems. You'll hear a lot of talking/chanting throughout the song, it can be unsettling at times, but this track is solid!

LFTG-7: Probably my favorite track on the album, track 7 is truly a fine piece of music. At first the track gives the listeners an itch, but within seconds that itch is scratched with guttural drums and a pulsating bass line. Throughout the track, one can hear almost demonic moans and scream.

LFTG-8: I really love this track, it starts off with some tough drums hitting in the background, subtly luring the listener closer. Once the keys start, the drums come forward and the tune becomes magical.

LFTG-9: A track carried by some more rugged drums and some subtle instrumentation throughout.

LFTG-10: A droning interlude with some seriously creepy vocals in the mix.

LFTG-11: This has one of the nicest bass lines / drums I've heard in ages. I can't say enough about this track, another one of my favorite tunes off this album.

So after summarizing tracks off the album, when you put everything together, you have a very cohesive piece of music here. It's dark, unsettling, mesmerizing, and an absolute thrill to listen to. Undoubtedly, some listeners will be put off by the overall tone and subject matter of this album, but to me, this is easily one of the best hip-hop albums this year. I really look forward to future releases from 3:33, and give them major props for putting out something so different and non-traditional.

Score: 5/5

More Information: 3:33 @ Bandcamp

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
I'm not sure about upcoming releases, as this was just released last week. Their past three projects have been similar thematically, so I hope whatever they're cooking up in the lab continues. I will keep you posted!

members online