5 Must Haves if your a Beatmaker/Music Producer...

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 206
Hey guys just thought i might start another thread that might help others..:D

If you guys could pitch in on what you think are the 5 foremost hardware's or things that you should have regardless of anything that you do whether your a beat maker or a producer or scorer or whatever else comes to mind... ;)

feel free to leave as much detail as you can about the stuff that you want have or need on your top 5 and why did you pick those? brag, tell a story share pics.... do whatever you think helps anyone here on ILL...

Peace! :D

Decent monitors. To make good music you really need to hear what you are doing.
Decent low latency audio interface. Same reason as above.
A midi controller keyboard. That mouse click method of making music just aint cutting it.
A good collection of music to sample and mess around with. For inspiration and to learn from, and to use.
Patience and persistence and self belief. This really is important, you need a thick skin in this game. Haters gonna hate, especially at first when you are wack, and even later when you are half decent.

Oh one last thing, dont take constructive criticism personal.
Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and they usually stink.

To any youngsters wanting to get into the music game, my best advice is DONT.
The music game is dying, and its dying fast. You can slave for 6-7 years getting real good at making music, to then have 5 minutes of fame, is it really worth it?
What happens when your window of opportunity closes?
Nobody in any real sense is going to be able to retire off of one or two hot singles.
Go to college, get a real paying career, and keep music as a hobby. I really do mean that.

Last edited:

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
@2GooD Productions summed it up, but I'll add:
  1. A good ear. You should be a fan of lots of different music. Be able to pick apart a song.
  2. The ability to focus more on the feeling of the beat, rather than just trying to line up MIDI notes.
  3. Headphones. You should mix on speakers of course, but headphones are great for hearing small things. And if you live in an apartment, headphones are great.
  4. Good cables. You can get away with cheap ones, but decent ones are better. You don't have to spend a lot, but something nice.
  5. Beer.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
You need good ideas. Read books, watch movies, take walks with no music and reflect. Get deep with your life and existence. You NEED to come up with the music from within yourself! Gear doesnt matter, these days you can make music on cheap gear with no money. Make something interesting, capture my attention! Everything else is just details.

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 206
To any youngsters wanting to get into the music game, my best advice is DONT.
The music game is dying, and its dying fast. You can slave for 6-7 years getting real good at making music, to then have 5 minutes of fame, is it really worth it?
What happens when your window of opportunity closes?
Nobody in any real sense is going to be able to retire off of one or two hot singles.
Go to college, get a real paying career, and keep music as a hobby. I really do mean that.

REALLY GREAT ADVICE!! ;)

@Fade LOL! number 5 is one of the best...id like one of those now...

1. Peace of mind.
-Have you ever tried making music with a lot in your mind? it doesnt end well...Prioritize!
2. Old Samplers.
-I use Ableton and Maschine, but if I was younger and had the time in the world and no responsibilities? then i would be using ASR 10 or MPC's mainly 60 2k or 2kxl or even the sp1200.
3. Samples.
-I hardly make any beat without sampling from records..its where i get the inspiration from.
4. Handy Recorder.
-With limited time you would want to record a lot of ideas sounds or inspirations from anything...this is also good for sampling.
5. Sony MDR v6/7506 or Audio Technica ATH M50/M50x.
-My best friends...you can never go wrong with any of these bad boys. :D

B.M.P.

Battle Points: 8
1. Get a good workflow, so you not always always stalling halfway through a beat.

2. Learn music theory. You don't have to be an expert, but get your basics straight.

3. challenge your taste. Try to make music genres you don't usually do. This is a good way to learn new production techniques, you can use in your beats

members online