9th wonder making moves with fruity loops

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
9th Wonder talks Destiny’s Child, Upcoming Projects
By Matt Barone
Date: 10/20/2004 3:16 pm

Capitalizing on his highly publicized work for Jay-Z’s The Black Album, producer 9th Wonder is ready to go even further, as he has landed two beats on the upcoming Destiny’s Child album, Destiny Fulfilled.

The North Carolina native, and member of underground sensation Little Brother, blessed Beyonce, Kelly, and Michelle with instrumentals for “Is She The Reason” and “Girl.” Generally seen as a creator of vintage rap backdrops, 9th ensures that his signature sound remains intact. “It’s still me, but for this project, it’s the R&B me,” 9th explained to AllHipHop.com. “You can still tell I did the beats, because you can hear my style throughout the tracks.”

“’Is She The Reason’ is the more hood of the two records,” 9th revealed. “It’s a song that I can hear a dude riding by pumping in his car. I’d compare it to Monica’s ‘So Gone.’ If a dude rides by pumping Mya, you’d be like, ‘Aight n***a, what’s really going on?’ That isn’t the case with ‘Is She The Reason.’”

Along with songwriter Sean Garrett (Usher’s “Yeah,” and Ciara’s “Goodies”), 9th completed three tracks (one, “Game Over,” will be included on the album’s international version) with the girls in a Los Angeles studio. “All three girls were real down to Earth, so it wasn’t like going to work with ‘Destiny’s Child’,” 9th said. “It was more like going to work out with my homies.”

This wasn’t his first meeting with Beyonce, though. While recording for The Black Album, Beyonce was with Jay-Z and 9th in the studio. “She was feeling my joints back then,” 9th said. “So, I guess she remembered me and asked Jay to hook it up.”

After his work on Destiny Fulfilled is heard, 9th hopes to have opportunities to collaborate with artists such as Faith Evans, Mary J. Blige, and Carl Thomas.

He has no plans of ignoring his rap side, however. In fact, he is busier than ever these days, working on several upcoming projects. He landed two beats on Memphis Bleek’s new record and is doing a follow-up to Murs 3:16 with Cali MC Murs (titled Murs’ Revenge). Additionally, he is crafting an album with Buckshot for Duck Down Records, favoring a sound that is “more melodic than the typically darker Boot Camp Clik sound.” In the aftermath of the Internet leak suffered by his Jeanius project with Jean Grae, the two have plans to record a brand new record, The Phoenix.

Above all else, though, is Little Brother’s major label debut, The Minstrel Show, which is scheduled for release on Atlantic Records as early as spring of 2005. The Minstrel Show will highlight the mic skills of LB rappers Phonte and Big Pooh, but 9th promises a couple of outside guests, as well.

9th promised that being on a major has done little to slow down Little Brother’s grind. “On ABB Records, we had to grind extra hard, and we are treating this Atlantic situation the same,” 9th said. “Most people on a major don’t want to work. They act like, ‘I’m on a major, so they should have my video and everything done!’ But, when their album flops, they get mad. Well, you should have been at the meetings!”

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
Damn this sucks, Jean Grae should save her rhymes for real beats and do Phoenix with someone else or her own beats.

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
THey say CRIME MOB'S entire CD produced on FRUITY, and THAT WHITE TEE song is Fruity, so FL is in the game now, I've been thinking about getting to know that program just for my drums!

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
nuthing wrong fruity loops just the producers that use them, 9th got some heat although i will agree some of his drum sounds r bait and suffer from bad programming.

but that can be overcome

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
jaydub23510 said:
and THAT WHITE TEE song

is pretty lame though.

just like everythin else made on Fruity unless you have some talent.

sAfE.

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Rhythmikal said:
is pretty lame though.

sAfE.

I don't like that shit "nuck if you Buck' or WHITE TEES but everybody is rocking the shit out of those two songs, every other car that rides past is blasting that shit!!! And they are a bunch of high school kids so I aint really mad at them for using whatever they had to get shit poppin'

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Oh well you just gotta do what you do with the tools you have......you know the thing is, the pair of ears that signs on to these cat's or might be an A&R......definitely doesn't have a questionnaire.....with question number 1. What gear did you use to make this hot beat.......that part is gonna be in the background.....I think that Fruity loops is hot....now can it be your total production tool.....the answer is clearly NO......I believe what is done is the beat is put down in fruity and the waves exported......then it's taken to a real studio with OUTboard gear to put the finishing touches....its debatable whether the endproduct coming straight off the PC is what you hear pressed up.....it could be but I doubt it.......

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
ah damn, this is old.

FL is good and getting better, there's one other program I'd recommend to anyone it's Logic.

The rest belongs to the past...

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
bigdmakintrax said:
Oh well you just gotta do what you do with the tools you have......you know the thing is, the pair of ears that signs on to these cat's or might be an A&R......definitely doesn't have a questionnaire.....with question number 1. What gear did you use to make this hot beat.......that part is gonna be in the background.....I think that Fruity loops is hot....now can it be your total production tool.....the answer is clearly NO......I believe what is done is the beat is put down in fruity and the waves exported......then it's taken to a real studio with OUTboard gear to put the finishing touches....its debatable whether the endproduct coming straight off the PC is what you hear pressed up.....it could be but I doubt it.......

That's a good point my brother, and in the video I see a Triton so I don't think that's all they use, hell this dude told me he has made beats with a $150 drum machine and took it to a studio in VA BEACH and shit came out tight!

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
exactly thats kewl if they choose to use fruit to make the tracks most of the stuff done in 9ths productions isnt exactly difficult stuff whilst no doubt it sounds dope its not the most complex stuff so he probably feels he doesnt have to use anything more, and if someone else professionaly is mastering his tracks with the top end stuff its bound to come out sounding good !

Bosta

Hi Joka
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Rhythmikal said:
is pretty lame though.

sAfE.

true but thats the same w/t anything......u can have the most costly shit out there but if u have no talent than ur gon suck regardless.......its the musician not the tool

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Bosta said:
true but thats the same w/t anything......u can have the most costly shit out there but if u have no talent than ur gon suck regardless.......its the musician not the tool

Damn, I was gonna say the same thing... I totally agree!!! A good musician can do a good beat with a average program, and fruity is far from being average!!!!

M

MIKELABZ

People Sleep On Fl-studio And It Just Keeps Getting Better Despite What People Think. This Coming From A Fl User Since 1998.

Aminimity

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
fruity

MIKELABZ said:
People Sleep On Fl-studio And It Just Keeps Getting Better Despite What People Think. This Coming From A Fl User Since 1998.

I agree to some extent fl4 is a real improvement for the program.... however the ultra intuative nature of the program leads people to use it for really simple and somtimes down right horrific beats. Thus its bad reputation and the equation that if you say "I use FL" your really saying "I am really wak/inexperienced/broke".

Its pitfalls are in that it is to easy to use, but with a certin level skill and knowledge one can make some real soundin shit with it .

members online