A few new pieces in the studio today. Focusrite and ART Voice Channel

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Been a huge Focusrite fan for a while now and it was time to upgrade. Also added that Art voice channel and Patchbay. This way I can keep everything hooked up and working really nicely. I will do a full studio tour soon enough. Building this place out so I can track bands etc. Pretty pumped to get to work on the next few records in this new space.
focusriteart small.jpg

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Nice! I have the same Furman rack and those Auralex pads, good stuff. The classic Roland JV is a nice touch. What's the one over the Furman?

I can't wait to see the rest of the studio.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
That’s the focustite 18i20 interface that I just added. It has 8 preamps and spdif and light pipe so I can go spdif from the art directly to it so that’s nine pre amps. I’m going to add another 8 eventually so that will be 17 total channels of pre amp I can use at once. So I should be able to track a pretty decent sized band. Burn 8 mic’s on the drum kit then 9 for whatever else. That should be more then enough for most applications.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
That’s the focustite 18i20 interface that I just added. It has 8 preamps and spdif and light pipe so I can go spdif from the art directly to it so that’s nine pre amps. I’m going to add another 8 eventually so that will be 17 total channels of pre amp I can use at once. So I should be able to track a pretty decent sized band. Burn 8 mic’s on the drum kit then 9 for whatever else. That should be more then enough for most applications.
That's a really good amount of preamps. What kind of mixing desk are you going to have?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I have gotten pretty comfortable mixing in logic with the iPad app to control my Mac, so I actually and “touch” multiple faders at once. I can’t imagine mixing on a large console anymore. Man it’s been ten years since I have done a real mix on an analog console.
That's pretty good. I just thought maybe you'd have digital console but I guess the app is all you need.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
That’s probably Apples biggest strength, everything just works together perfect. I can route logics output to a HomePod for example, or use my Apple Watch to allow software to be installed on my Mac. Neither Microsoft or Google can even touch Apples full eco system. Also I like that Apple is at least taking a stand on privacy. Also to answer your question no, there is no noticeable lag in logic when controlling it with an iPad. You can actually use a virtual keyboard on the iPad and play parts right in to logic with no noticeable latency. It’s pretty cool stuff.

That’s probably Apples biggest strength, everything just works together perfect. I can route logics output to a HomePod for example, or use my Apple Watch to allow software to be installed on my Mac. Neither Microsoft or Google can even touch Apples full eco system. Also I like that Apple is at least taking a stand on privacy. Also to answer your question no, there is no noticeable lag in logic when controlling it with an iPad. You can actually use a virtual keyboard on the iPad and play parts right in to logic with no noticeable latency. It’s pretty cool stuff.
yes their strength has always been smooth running as all the components work well together, but they are over priced and apples customer service is dire when it comes to repairs. They milk their customer base these days and dont even try to hide it

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
yes their strength has always been smooth running as all the components work well together, but they are over priced and apples customer service is dire when it comes to repairs. They milk their customer base these days and dont even try to hide it
Well I’m not getting in to a big online thing about Apple vs whomever. But if you compare an hp or dell to a similar speced mac the mac is typically about 10% higher, not double at all but higher. Everyone who has taken this challenge has failed FYI . Now I’m going to totally disagree on customer service. They have the finest I have ever experienced in 20+ Years in IT and they win best service year after year from consumer reports etc. That being said this no charger with the iPhone has got me scratching my head, and the fact that Samsung (known copier of Apple) is about to do the same is a bit odd. Jobs was absolutely an hippie and wanted to be environmentally conscious. But he would have been livid about that one I think.

Last edited:

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
Apple Customer: My macbook isnt working.
Apple: Its fucked mate,.need a new one. No, you cant get it repaired by a third party because we dont give out the schematics. Apple is a joke.
Yea I’m bowing out of this conversation but you clearly have never dealt with Apple before. They go the extra mile to take care of their customers. I both worked for a massive Apple retailer and have experienced myself.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
My information came from Linus Tech Tips and a guy whose job it is to repair computers
Well a LOT of people in the IT industry have an Apple bias for reasons I still don’t understand. Especially Linus. But know solving technology problems is my job too. Sweet water is one of the largest single store Apple retailers in the world so I personally saw it first hand when I worked there. In my current gig I think we have something like 400 iOS devices in the wild and like 40 android and the androids HANDS down give us most of the issue. I started my IT career decades ago at a screwdriver shop where I personally built thousands of windows PC’s so I know both sides pretty well. Have you ever tried to get Microsoft on the phone? Or hp consumer support? Those guys are such a joke no one even bothers so you choose Apple any day over that. When you have Apple care on a product they literally overnight you a replacement at no charge it’s really remarkable. There is a reason the music (and whole entertainment industry) runs on macs. That being said if I was a fl user like you are I would go windows no question. https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/apple-tech-support but also behind the scenes windows spies on you and sends data back to Microsoft, (I have seen this with my own eyes when I analyze network traffic with my network guys) they force their edge browser on you when you don’t want it. So I go out of my way to not use Microsoft when I can. Google is even worse. Apple is really a champion of privacy even going so far as telling the FBI no. You of all people should appreciate that.

members online