Afrobeat Anyone??

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Yo ive been on here for damn near 5 years and Ive Never heard anyone mention afrobeat. Are any of you cats into afrobeat like i am. Of course I love the greats(feli,Femi and sean Kuti)

But im also into modern afrobeat as well, DJ's Rich medina and bobbito Released a CD called the connection which features a bunch of new afrobeat artist. Its been in constant rotation...

For those that don't know, afrobeat is an African version of American funk, using African rhythms instruments etc.. its focus is rhythm and riffs and its popular all over the world(excpect the US). Here is some classic fela

You can get some really good drum breaks and samples from this genre of music, dilla used ALOT of afrobeat samples.. Its a diggers paradise because its not that popular in the US so alot of the samples are untouched....

MagnaOpera

Comes Equipped...
ill o.g.
BIG UPS! I've been looking for good genres to sample (I'm just starting to use sampled work for the very first time, ever)... the track you posted is dope...

many thanks.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.

A few other highlights... the second track is incredible... don't sleep.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
I forgot to add... a lot of African music is quite rare to find, and although there's been quite a lot of reissues, a good percentage has not been reissued, which makes it even more difficult to find out more about the music. Sadly.

MagnaOpera

Comes Equipped...
ill o.g.
yeah i quickly discovered what dj excellence seems to already know.

I'm turrible with filters too... damn my luck. Still though, definitely a genre to keep in mind when looking for new stuff.

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
oh man, great music. i think i heard the "water no get enemy" track sampled for some club banger on gilles petersons world wide winners once.
but the sound also reminds me of madlibs yesterday new quintet stuff. i think he was heavily influenced by fela's music on that one.

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
I dig afrobeat, it's good outside warm weather music. I also like when it's blended with some deep house.
You should check out Antibalas, they're in Brooklyn and do high quality live afrobeat stuff.

members online