Akai AMX

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
Whats up Ill fan, I haunt't been on here in a minute… Thought I try something new and get into DJ'ing so I figure I buy an AMX to introduce myself. One thing I can say "I suck big time" but its fun. I wish in 2004 I would have bought dj equipment instead of getting into beats. I don't have any turntables to hook up to it and I'm not doing any scratching, just teaching myself the in's-and-out of basic mixing. Just a quick update of what i've been up to. Hope everyone is doing well or well enough...

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Sup Ozmosis! Long time no see.

Is there something you wanted to know about mixing or what gear to get? Are you going to get some turntables?

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
whats up Fade, I doubt if I get some real turntables (technics) im trying not to spend too much right now, thats why I decided on the AMX over the traktor S2, or pioneer ddj-sr. Im keeping it simple for now to see if my interest grows. If i do add on Im looking at the numark ndx500 cdj, since its cheap and can work as a standalone controller as well.

So far i've learned harmonic mixiing is great, I work with 3 songs (of the same key and bpm) and mix them in and out of one another trying to get a feel for timing and understanding of the controller. Do you know of any good sites, software, or techniques to help find the key of a song?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Ah ok, ya it can get expensive no doubt.

I think there was a post in the Resources section for a site like that, I can't remember off hand.

One of the easiest ways to mix something in of course is to follow the snare. And if you want to do some sort of remix with the instrumental of one song and the acapella of another, just match up the two instrumentals, then you'll be able to mix in the acapella. Some guys try to just mix the acapella right in.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
For the past couple years when i go somewhere that has a dj I try to get a quick peak of what they're using. It was interesting to see how a lot of guys use only one turntable or cdj along with a mixer, and online I've noticed a lot of guys who's setups dont include any jog wheels. Is scratching becoming obsolete unless your in a competition? If I do get a small dj gig, I def dont want to be the guy who only uses a laptop, but i guess depending on the setting thats all you need.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Well for someone into scratching, it makes sense to just have one turntable and a laptop because you can just run it off of Traktor/Serato. But for mixing, you would need both.

Look at the new Tratkor S8, they took the jog wheels out which is good I think. With all the buttons and knobs the wheels are obsolete, unless you want to scratch.

660x371x1645370895.jpg.pagespeed.ic.AQl8fD-jxa.jpg

For Harmonic Mixing I use the program Mixed in Key. It's $50 but works great. There might be some free options out there, not sure.

As I current working DJ, I still scratch quite a bit when I DJ. I use cuts as segways between mixes or at open parts in songs I play.

As far as needing one turntable, you could still mix with one turntable only if you're using a digital DJing program, you would use the "internal mode" in Serato to just flip the song playing to that side and then use the turntable to mix in your next track. Not sure what it's called in Traktor.

I have had to do this once in a while if my turntable is bugging out or something or a needle is getting to old and I'm getting a weak signal.

As frustrating as it is at times seeing all of the DJs that are out there that suck etc... it is also the best time to be a DJ due to all the opportunities of technology at the moment. You no longer have to be a labeled DJ. (i.e. House DJ or HIp-Hop DJ, etc...) You can be a DJ that plays all sorts of music and plays music with one turntable and a Machine triggering drum hits and samples. You can be a DJ that plays all your own productions in a Live/REmix fashion.

The opportunities are endless as to how someone can play the music they want others to hear.

Just my two cents. I know the art of DJing will live on forever.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
@djfeedme, Thanks for the info on MIxed in Key. I was watching a video this weekend on using one turntable, what you described as 'flip the song' they called it using 'instant doubles'. and showd how to set serato and traktor up for that. I was also thinking about going the lazy route and put one shot scratching stabs in the sp sample player lol...

I know its a broad question but from your experience what makes a DJ suck in your opinion? Im not trying to be dj premier or anything close to that, but I do want to be decent. If I do get into doing small gigs or get togethers I dont want people saying the dj stinks..

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
What makes a DJ suck...
  1. Can't mix.
  2. Doesn't come in properly with the next song. Like just cuts right into the next one. At least fade out or kill the power on the turntable for the other track.
  3. Just plays songs. At least do a bit of back and forth.
  4. Goes from fast song to slow song constantly. Gotta have some sort of consistent BPM.
Many more.

I agree with what Fade has said above. His points are more regarding the technical aspect of DJing. I would start even more basic than this.

#1 - Picks the wrong songs/types of songs for the venue/crowd. (i.e. - playing EDM bangers while opening up at a lounge club, or playing 2 Chainz songs at a shopping spot with kids around) Having an understanding of where you are and what you are trying to accomplish and then choosing the correct soundtrack for that goes a long way. I don't care if you can't mix, but if you're the opener and you're playing bangers, I am not going to like it. (Unless the party is crazy and people need to wild out, but at 7pm that is not often the case)

#2 - Like Fade's #4, understanding energy changes as in building energy/choosing appropriate songs. If you constantly jump back and forth between smooth jazz, heavy metal, reggae, EDM etc... you may have a hard time having others follow exactly what you are trying to do. I'm not saying you cannot be eclectic, but understanding that a DJ set should have rises/falls and dynamic changes just like a song (only longer) can go a long way. (now playing a jazz sample and then going to into the hip-hop song that sampled it is not wrong by any means, just having a basic understanding of not jumping all over the map and having an ADD type approach to DJing is what I look for in a DJ)

#3 - If you are going to scratch, get an idea of WHEN TO SCRATCH. DO not just start cutting over Guru's second verse in Full Clip. Well produced hip-hop songs have scratches at the right time. Figuring out when that is in your set will make you sound much better. It gets too "busy" when a DJ is scratching over the top of a part of song where it doesn't belong.

You may already know a lot of what I have mentioned here, just a few basic things I could think of here. I will try to come up with some other ideas.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Well said @djfeedme .

Another point is: don't beat juggle or bust into a scratchapella set when DJ'ing a party! Just do songs.

Also, when playing a song, you have control over it so it's your time to try and remix the track, so to speak. Just be creative. Like if the current song is ending soon and the next song starts with a nice sound, then you can cut that in and out until the track ends.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Good advice guys, I've been experimenting with the eq's and filters when mixing into a new song. How important is it to get the grid to line up with the kicks or first beat, do you guys take a lot of time to get it right? I noticed getting the grid to line up properly is a headach on certain songs. the grid is synced for 8-10 bars then it starts going to the right or left. If your timing is decent I noticed you really dont need it, but its there so you might as well utilize it.

Are you talking about sync? Or Beat grids I think they're called in Traktor? If so, the more time you put into lining up your beat grids, the cleaner your mixes will be.

I don't use them at all so I don't really know, but I assume it's like warping in Ableton. When played together songs will not mix cleanly if they are not sync'd up together.

I thought of another good tip. Utilizing normal song sequence when mixing. So you're drop out of the last song should end on the 4, and your new song should come in on the 1. (if that makes sense)

You're last song should end on the last lyric of the verse (or chorus) and your new song should hit on the first word of the new track and pick up where the last song left off. Kind of hard to explain in words without an example. Hope it makes sense.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
The beat grid thing in Traktor is good but I just prefer to mix by ear, as I've done for years. If you want to use the grid, it can be a pain like you said, but I think if you just get the right tempo first, then zoom in on the audio and make sure it lines up. Once you do that, it's smooth sailing.

members online