Always, I mean ALWAYS WITHOUT FAIL. Backup your work.

I have been making music for about 20+ years and it took me a long time to learn to backup my shit. I learned the hard way, I lost songs I had made that I would never be able to get back. This didnt only happen once, it happened three times before I got the message.

Last week I lost my main ssd, in the heat it just packed up. Same thing with my oldest backup device, just stopped working. Luckily, having learned the hard way, I had two backups and still have the vast majority of anything I ever made that matters to me.

My whole point of this post to both noob and experienced alike is ALWAYS backup your shit.
Dont learn the hard way like I did three times before it sunk in. Do it now.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Agreed, you can get backblaze for $5 a month and backup everything! I also spend $100 a year on dropbox and put everything on that. I can literally lose a whole computer and have everything back up and resyned in about a day. Thats not bad. I am going to have about 15k in to my next record so spending $160 a year to protect it all is a no brainier!

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Agreed, you can get backblaze for $5 a month and backup everything! I also spend $100 a year on dropbox and put everything on that. I can literally lose a whole computer and have everything back up and resyned in about a day. Thats not bad. I am going to have about 15k in to my next record so spending $160 a year to protect it all is a no brainier!
Im weary of using online backup, too many data thieves, too many hacks.

What @2GooD Productions and @thedreampolice SSDs, etc. are you using for backup?
I currently have a 2TB external maxtor drive, the SSD was just for program installation so never lost anything important from it, wouldnt use an external SSD because Im not sure you get all the benefits of its speed due to the data rate of USB, I could be wrong on that since USB 3 maybe somebody knows better. I also have a 64 gb stick drive thats slow but has a lot of space for another backup, I use it more for portability and to not risk dropping my now main backup. Will definitely get a new backup, probably 4TB ASAP. I dont feel comfortable without at least two backups of everything..

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Online services are a good option. I've been using multiple Google Drive accounts and it's a great way to back shit up. Of course it can get big, but there's tons of online options.

Drago Zetić

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 104
Damn... whenever I hear a story like this I feel so grateful for having everything synced on Google Drive since day one plus an external drive. Later down the line, I might even get a backup for the backup.

@OGBama SSDs tend to crap out sooner than mechanical drives and are still quite expensive per GB. They're best for storing your OS and only the most necessary applications.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
What @thedreampolice SSD would you recco? I don't produce but I wanted an external SSD perhaps 1TB maybe WD My Passport Mac as I'm a mid-2015 MacBook Pro owner and for my model my drive can't be replaced I don't think.

Last edited:
1tb for a ssd was still pretty expensive when I last looked, might want to go with a 500mb and only install software to it, and then have another external for samples, backups etc etc. And a backup of that too just in case it packs up.
Also note that if you replace the laptop harddrive, you will need to reinstall the operating system or clone the original harddrive to the new one, but being as most standard harddrives will be larger than an ssd, could run into trouble there like I did.
But that said, for the improvement in loading times, its well well worth it.

Drago Zetić

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 104
Yeah, recent Macs have the drives soldered in, so that's just great. I have a 2 TB WD Passport that died about half a year and I got it replaced with another one because it was under warranty. Luckily, what I lost wasn't really important and was mostly on my main hard drive too, but I'm worried that this one might die on me like that too.

Also, I'm pretty sure Yanks might just have their electronics cheaper.

Man 1tb ssd’s are only $100 these days. I like crucial but they are all pretty similar. I can actually clone the Mac drive to a new drive and not have to reinstall anything.
Fucking hell, you are not wrong, just searched myself out of disbelief. Seems bitcoin mining didnt pay off like people expected, maybe graphics cards, memory and storage is getting a lot cheaper. Looks like Im getting a new 1tb SSD on payday and cant wait to have my samples and everything loaded from the ssd, not just the software.

I have been making music for about 20+ years and it took me a long time to learn to backup my shit. I learned the hard way, I lost songs I had made that I would never be able to get back. This didnt only happen once, it happened three times before I got the message.

Last week I lost my main ssd, in the heat it just packed up. Same thing with my oldest backup device, just stopped working. Luckily, having learned the hard way, I had two backups and still have the vast majority of anything I ever made that matters to me.

My whole point of this post to both noob and experienced alike is ALWAYS backup your shit.
Dont learn the hard way like I did three times before it sunk in. Do it now.
i lost my works MANY times before, but i remade them xD i actually have a beat to remake right now, because the rapper wanted it and now the file is corrupted.

though how am i exactly supposed to backup files ?

i lost my works MANY times before, but i remade them xD i actually have a beat to remake right now, because the rapper wanted it and now the file is corrupted.

though how am i exactly supposed to backup files ?
By saving twice but once to one harddrive and once to another and a f possible to another

members online