Ancient Talking...

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
I know the whole 'modern talking' presets and sounds have been pretty much raped beyond their life, I'm just wondering if you know of any other ways to get this kind of sound (a somewhat vocal-sounding bass/lead) from any synths other than NI Massive?

Looking to create anything from Skrillex/Knife party sound, to something similar to Genuwine - Pony. Though I'm guessing in the latter they used that weird llama vocal thing.

Anyway, much appreciated.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
The sound you are talking about, specifically referring to the Timbaland produced "Pony" track -- is formant synthesis. The Yamaha FS1-R is/was the formant synthesizer of choice to produce this specific type of sound.

The synth is extremely powerful and is very customizable. It is not for the faint at heart and takes some time to master. There are probably formant synthesizer variants in the soft-synth world, but you would have to do research the names of those soft-synths yourself.

Stay away from subtractive synths, like the Triton, in this case -- unless there's some sort of true formant engine on it. Subtractive synths are sample-based whereas the type of sound you're referring is created using a different form of synthesis, called "formant" synthesis.

Hope that helps.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
You can get that sound from FM8 as well, but it's waaayyyy complicated.

The good thing about FM8, is that you can really some awesome sounds if you have the patience in putting it together.

For example:

members online