Any one here with diabetes?

DJ Xsinna

The Big Bang-BINO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 43
What's up fam? It's been a minute since I've been active on here and musically. The reason was because back in December, my vision went blurry and I was having some health complications. After a visit with the doctor, it turns out that I have type II diabetes. With my vision slightly impaired, reading and making beats was quite a challenge! It's getting better with medication but I'm not back at 100% yet. I don't have to take insulin. I can control diabetes with meds and diet. Now to look at me, I don't fit the normal profile of a diabetic. I'm not overweight. That's where genetics comes in. It's in my family. It was sort of a blow when i found out that I have diabetes but that's not the worst that can happen. I'm back to working on tracks now and I'm taking very good care of myself. In fact, since December, I've lost 40lbs. I'm a pretty diciplined person so this will be a piece of cake (a very small piece!). With all that said, I would love to know who else here has diabetes and how are you handling it? What challenges do you face as a beatmaker/producer during sessions (sometimes late night) when the temptation is to get some fast food so you can eat instead of eating healthy? Is your ability to make beats compromised because of diabetes?

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Wow...that's heavy fam! My mom was diagnosed with type II a few years back. It definitely runs in my family. Didn't u turn 21 a few months back? Man.....you're a strong brother. It seems that you have your mind right so I'm sure you'll be fine. As long as you stay on top of it it won't get worse. Do what you have to do to stay far away from having to inject that insulin fam. I personally don't eat too much of anything when I'm in the producing zone. It takes my mind off of food and life in general. It's my Oasis! Most times I have to remember to eat.

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Sorry to hear that.

I know I am running a high risk of developing it. I eat about 2 cups of sugar a day. At least. I am trying to stop but it turns out I like sugar. In my case I would think something like that would make me more disciplined and focused and I would get more work done. Food actually is a huge distraction. Food and video games get to me. The only things that keep me from producing.

I have a lot of friends and family members who have some form of it.

It can be rough.

NobleWordz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
I'm type 2 too lol... Nah but seriously I am.

My mom is a type 1, and quite a few of my other family members are. Its in the genes along with cancer, my brother died with cancer and my aunt my mom had cancerous cells removed from her breast a few years ago and skin cancer removed from her face last year. So I'm pretty much fucked lol .. I gotta laugh, if I didn't I'd cry.

Sorry to hear about the health problems, my brother in law has diabetes and has to use insulin. Im very high risk of getting diabetes because my diet is terrible. Sometimes I can drink 3 ltrs of coke in a day. I now Im killing myself but I cant help myself. Like LDB I often have to tear myself away from my production to remember to eat, my diet is terrible and smoking lots of weed makes me lazy. The only positive is that I work hard in the day job and that keeps me fairly fit. Maybe I need a small shock to the system to get my arse in gear. I wish you all the best in coping with it. Im scared to get tested, it will probably confirm that Im diabetic too, but until I get blurred vision or any noticable symptoms Im not getting tested.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Sorry to hear about the health problems, my brother in law has diabetes and has to use insulin. Im very high risk of getting diabetes because my diet is terrible. Sometimes I can drink 3 ltrs of coke in a day. I now Im killing myself but I cant help myself. Like LDB I often have to tear myself away from my production to remember to eat, my diet is terrible and smoking lots of weed makes me lazy. The only positive is that I work hard in the day job and that keeps me fairly fit. Maybe I need a small shock to the system to get my arse in gear. I wish you all the best in coping with it. Im scared to get tested, it will probably confirm that Im diabetic too, but until I get blurred vision or any noticable symptoms Im not getting tested.

That's crazy as hell 2good! "Noticable symtoms" might be when your ass is about to be hooked up to a dialysis machine for life! U got a death wish or something? The blurred vision is a minor symtom....it could have been a lot worse. You don't want to get wheeled into an ER, find out you're diabetic and your fuckin' Kidney's are already not working. Have you seen someones disfigured appearance from failing Kidneys? Did you see Phife from TCQ when they were honored recently? And that was a mild case of disfigurement! I've seen dudes that look worse than the Elephant man...no lie! I thought you were smarter than that man!

That's crazy as hell 2good! "Noticable symtoms" might be when your ass is about to be hooked up to a dialysis machine for life! U got a death wish or something? The blurred vision is a minor symtom....it could have been a lot worse. You don't want to get wheeled into an ER, find out you're diabetic and your fuckin' Kidney's are already not working. Have you seen someones disfigured appearance from failing Kidneys? Did you see Phife from TCQ when they were honored recently? And that was a mild case of disfigurement! I've seen dudes that look worse than the Elephant man...no lie! I thought you were smarter than that man!

Yeah I know its crazy, when Im at work I get thru a lot of coke, Ive tried stopping and drinking water, but I always end up going back to drinking coke. I didnt know diabetes messed with the kidneys? My daughter I found out the other day has kidney problems and shes 5. Im about to turn my life around as Im seeking custody of my children, which means I have to give up the green and cigarettes and probably even the music.
But I can also say that some of the smartest people do some of the stupidest things.
Ive always felt that God is looking out for me, maybe its about time I looked out for myself and my kids too as their mother is doing a shit job. Maybe I did have a death wish, but on hearing that I cant trust my ex to bring up the kids I have the best reason in the world to live.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
I lost my best friend & fraternitity brother to a diabetic sizer 6 years ago....THis casued me and my frat brothers to found the Homer Thomas III diabatic awareness foundation for people just like yourself...

Im glad you caught it early and are doing the right thing.. Now its your job to spread that awareness to others. Not to start preachin but diabetes is a silent killer within the african american communitity. people arent aware of it, or dont think of them selves as suspetiable.... It can hit anybody even if your in great physical shape like my boy was...

class..

I lost my best friend & fraternitity brother to a diabetic sizer 6 years ago....THis casued me and my frat brothers to found the Homer Thomas III diabatic awareness foundation for people just like yourself...

Im glad you caught it early and are doing the right thing.. Now its your job to spread that awareness to others. Not to start preachin but diabetes is a silent killer within the african american communitity. people arent aware of it, or dont think of them selves as suspetiable.... It can hit anybody even if your in great physical shape like my boy was...

class..
I have seen a couple of scary vids very recently by Dr Len Horowitz, he made a film called emerging viruses. Its a must see film. He has documented evidence of the man made nature of many diseases including many cancer viruses and Aids, as well as many others. He knows what he is talking about.
What made me think of him was the way Classic says its a silent killer in the african american society, and they are often targetted by the same people that created these diseases and then test them usually on minorities/prisoners/mentally disabled people(including children, they go for the children first thru vaccination programs) its for the overall depopulation of mankind, and with the leaders of this being the darwinist racists that they are they use black people as the guinee pigs. Im going to post the links to the vids in the basement as they are must see films.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
u can get diabteities from drinking too much coke?

damn .... i drink MASSIVE amounts of coke daily... other than that i actaully eat pretty healthy, and im not overweight or anything... but i drink ALOT of coke. ALOT .. my pops has a mild case of diabteties that he devloped recently but hes overweight and older (obviously). obesity definitely runs on my pops side of the family but im not sure about diabetites.

u can get diabteities from drinking too much coke?

damn .... i drink MASSIVE amounts of coke daily... other than that i actaully eat pretty healthy, and im not overweight or anything... but i drink ALOT of coke. ALOT
Yeah me too, I hear that it can give you diabetes due to the massive amounts of sugar in it.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Ok....excessive amounts of sugar in your diet does play a role but a can or two of coke won't cause you to potentialy become diabetic. You have to understand the the silent sources of diabetes are the foods that convert to sugar in your body so doing a liter of coke and eating a lot of certain types of bread and other foods that convert to sugar are the bigger problem.

On the real..with us black people the main culprit during the 70's and 80's was that mf with the big smile on the pitcher (Kool aid). 2 or three pitchers of kool aid a day with 2 or 3 cups of straight sugar in each!!!!! Looking back now the shit was CRAZY!

Diabetes develops when your pancreas which manufactures and puts out insulin that turns this sugar to energy, can't produce enough to keep up with your sugar intake! Free floating sugar in your blood stream is toxic to every vital organ.

If you drink several cans of coke throughout the day but don't eat a lot of other foods that convert to sugar you should be ok. Just remember though..too much of anything is bad for you!

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
My mother died due to complications of type I diabetes. My daughter has type 1 diabetes.

My father has type 2 diabetes. I also had type 2 diabetes and was insulin dependent before I started working out again and have since lost 40 pounds, and no longer have type 2.

Diabetes is becoming a beast in America because of our terrible diets.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Sorry to hear about this Sinna, like I had mentioned earlier in my PM.

The main thing is to make sure you have 5-6 small meals every day, then give yourself a cheat day once a week and you'll be fine. Have your coke, just make sure you also have your fruits and vegetables, along with plenty of protein, and stay active! Take the stairs instead of the escalator, if you have a car, park it away from the entrance so you have no choice but to walk. These things may not seem like much but it will help in the long run.

I keep things clean in my diet but I still cave in and go nuts with chocolate or poutine LOL, but then I get right back to fruit, protein shakes, etc. I also lift weights/cardio 5-6 times a week so that helps too. But the bottom line is eat as healthy as you can (because eating clean all the time is great but you'll lose your sanity), and stay active.

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
type 1 is when your pancreas stops generating insulin. This is a chronic illness that is hereditary, usually skips a generation.

type 2 is when your cells become malformed and insulin cannot enter your blood cells. Your body still produces insulin. You usually take pills or may take insulin shots, the insulin you receive is able to enter your blood cells. It is not hereditary and up until the last 15-20 years only affected people of old age but lately has been seen in people much younger in their mid 20's and is brought on by bad diet and obesity. One can be "cured" of type 2 simply be getting in shape and losing weight.

I was type 2 and insulin dependent but after losing 40 lbs., I am no longer diabetic.

This is a fucked up condition...I went months being diabetic without knowing... Doctor's couldn't believe I wasn't in a coma when I finally went in to get checked. My blood sugar levels were through the roof and had been for months.

After being diagnosed and having to take the insulin shots I went through a deep depression for another month or so. It's a huge lifestyle change.

I know everything about diabetes. My mom, dad, daughter and myself have all had it.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 when she was just a year old.... my wife and I had to attend 3 ten-hour days of classes and training.

Type 1 usually takes effect when the patient is still a child. It's very rare for someone to develop type 1 diabetes after the age of 8 years old.

This is a scary thing for African-Americans.... most African-Americans end up in the ICU or in a coma before they ever know their diabetic.

If you become exhausted all the time, have out of character mood swings and can't retain any fluids... go to your doctor immediately.

Have you doctor check your blood sugar levels, if they are high make him give you some insulin.

A lot of doctors don't understand diabetes and will take some blood tests and have you wait in limbo for days.... you could slip into a coma during that time.

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
Man I just now started back working out trying to get in shape. My grandmother on my dad side has diabetes and my grandfather on my mom side does to. So I have it on both sides of the family so I am not trying to put the cigs down, and work out more and get this diet in check.

I don't really drink coke if i do its diet, other than that its water or gatoraid, but i need to cut back on that cause of to many calories in the gatoraid. But i have up'd my green tea intake.

But I am glad you caught the stuff soon man and taking control of it and not over you.

members online