at this point, i preffer mney to integrity

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
i swear to god, i am going to try and make some radio bullshit and hope it sticks

i dont really care about keepin it real anymore, i want to sell some shit that makes me a shitload of money

everyone else is doing it, the shit isnt going to turn anytime soon, fuck it, why not cash in, right?

ok, i only half-way feel this

but i truthfully am not at all opposed to sellingt out long enough to get the fuck out of my current (and seemingly never ending) life situation

i am absolutely willing to make some generic bullshit if it makes my pockets swol right about now

yup

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
you better change your name with it then...

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
People can do whatever they want with their talent! When I worked at any of my jobs growing up I gave my services for cash.. I never let anyone take advantage of me though! Your not selling out as long as you don't endorse the radio bullshit, consider it a contracting job or some shit! I am going to school for this exact reason: because I want to want to do whatever the fuck I want to do with my music as a pastime/hobby. Good Luck

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Just fuckin do it truth, your not gonna be any MORE real than you already are...
I went to a club back in may and said the same thing when I left..
"I am making nothing but BS club music for the rest of the summer!"
Then I didnt manage to make shit the whole summer..lol
SO if your mind ALLOWS you to do so..by all means man CASH THE FUCK IN NOW!
Aint anybody here gonna do anything but be happy for you and ask for a hook up!! lol

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
yo Truth,,I feel you,,,man,,,you speakin the truth,,but I'm one step ahead of ya,,lol,,,not on the hip hop scene but I've been remixin POp songs,,,,check my last son myspace,,,I just did a "Sexy Back" stresswon remix,,,no shit,,,,I started out in house music when i was spinnin,,,i figure my roots can get me paid! LOL

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
funny, I never turned my back against making money or going commercial but at least I thought that whatever's out there in the commercial realms could be done better by yours truly. Does sound somewhat arrogant but then again, at some point to gotta put the money where your mouth is. But, in being convinced of your own qualities you should be able to let it your skills and look whats next and undone to your experience. If all you've done is make hiphop then I recommend to dive into the industrial side and learn the techno tricks of the trade. Not because you have to produce techno, but because its far more indepth to customizing sound and sequences opposed to hiphop.

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
someday there will be a happy medium, and people like dilla and alchemist will be as rich famous and popular as kanye and pharrel.

KurtisRich

Pussy Monster
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 13
I always say, if you do something you love, even if it's a hobby, atleast try to make money off it. Some people I know in my area are like, "Yo I'm rappin I'm doing what I love with this real hip hop shit I don't care if I make money off of it as long as I'm loving it" I'm tryin to tell them, well if you love it so much put out some mixtapes and make some money off it. They're tryin to keep it real alright, real broke.

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
^thats true. You can still be real and make money.

Another thing: Although there is some bad music on the radio, its not all bad. Making money and getting exposure doesnt necesarily mean your making bad music.

now, CHANGING your style, from a style you enjoy more, to one which you think will be more commercially succesful is selling out.

That doesnt have to be a bad thing either though.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
Cold Truth said:
but i truthfully am not at all opposed to sellingt out long enough to get the fuck out of my current (and seemingly never ending) life situation

i feel that. i can relate

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
we all need to do what we need to do to survive. I would never personally compromise my rhyme status for money. But as a producer/beatmaker,,,,,SHOW ME THE MONEY. Fuck it. Look at Premo, dude produced most of Christina Aguilera's album(maybe the whole thing) and guess what,,,the album is tight! Did he sell out? Check the track "Still Dirrty". It's classic Premo. Our culture is being pillaged so I think many dudes are jumpin onto different genras to make a living, but at the same time still makin music. At one time I would of said, "Fuck That",,but I got kids and a mortgage now.

But ya still wont see me rhymin on MTV in a shiney suit rockin some shiney teeth,,,i do have standards!

FSC

Royal Souf Productions
ill o.g.
Relic said:
Why does getting money mean that YOU have no integrity? thats BS.

I agree that sellout bull is played out. If you got the talent use it how u want. And just because u got talent that don't mean that u have to act like a snob and look down on stuff thats played on the radio.. just do you..

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
There's plenty of integrity in the streetcorner musician, do you think they they do it for the love or the money? I don't buy into that I am only doing this for the integrity crap or it's not about the money, to each his own I ran into many a damn good musician whose integrity was trump tight but at the end of a gig they wanted their money and hell for the many hours you pour into your ish you should think about getting compensation....do what you have to man, its not selling out, neither is using any, and I mean any connection or relationship you can get to help you get where you want.....I am all for it! do you think I been making those 5 minute fluffy easy beats for my own personal growth??? HELL naw I got people that have that green shit that pays the rent that love my 5 or ten minute nerd or club joints....I dont care there has never been a problem switching channels or changing lanes....diversity is always good when it comes to dividends.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
get money hustle harder hustle smarter ... .. dont listen to cats tellin u how to keep it real that still live wit moms .. the music biz is just that .. its bizness... if u want to be a hobbyist and make music for urself thats cool ... but the second u put a price on ur work it becomes bizness... and just like any business ... the larger share of the market u can cover, the more successful u will be.....

members online