Attack of the Beats! - Battle #143

khailel

Battle Points: 18
Thanks for the input Fade. Will try to tweak my sound a little.

Citi lytx is actually pronounced "city lights", for the beat kinda remind me of 80s anime night skyline.

As for the hard kick, I'm also inspired by Wondagurl, who amplifies her kicks above the threshold to the point of soft clipping. Wanted to bring gritty, grimey drums (which, I'm glad you mentioned Dilla's "Show Me What You Got", that's what it was, glad someone caught that without me pointing it out) over a smooth sample.

I know Dilla made whatever made him feel good, while also doing it in a way that's astonishing to those deciphering the sound; that's the footsteps I'm following.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Ah ok, city lights! Yeah the beat is dope but that's the problem with reviewing beats this way, I'm not sure of the intention. For example, if someone makes a beat that has a sample with lots of hiss, I don't know if it's intentional or not.

khailel

Battle Points: 18
Ah ok, city lights! Yeah the beat is dope but that's the problem with reviewing beats this way, I'm not sure of the intention. For example, if someone makes a beat that has a sample with lots of hiss, I don't know if it's intentional or not.

Ahh, I feel you.

Sometimes the unintentional hiss or mess up is a good thing. I've heard many of J Dilla beats with hissing and crackling (definitely the '97 batch) that I realized I like better than the same beats with higher quality. It's just something about that lo fi, SP1200 type sound that's so aesthetic, so i like to imitate that sometimes when I make a beat.

I also read that Dilla didn't quantize his beats, much like me (at first I just didn't know how to); now I keep quantization to a bare minimum, if not out of the mix, in order to enhance the raw swing.

Thanks for the reply!

members online