beat making workflow

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.

do you give up so easily?
upsidedownpentagram2.gif

lately my workflow has consisted of me finding rare loops and then doing as little to them as possible. basic chopping and unique intros and outros. i always wanted to take my production style and compare it to those i grew up loving. ive been having all kinds of "fun" thats right "fun". no worries, havent had to build a new studio. dont have to worry about where im going to record. all i need is an internet connection, comp, and a mic then its a done deal. with me traveling all the time, lugging around gear is not cost efficient.

thats all about to change when i get into the second phase of the hero project. i would shed some light but its a different subject.

internet - mp3 or cd - to -
acid - ableton - to -
nuendo

later,
FIREdevil.gif
eldiablo
FIREdevil.gif

T

The Arkitekt

@ mono

I remember for some reason this post was really really long and you broke down your whole process, did you edit that out?

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
yea one morning i was slightly pissed off because there were like 50 views and a week had gone by but no answers, so i thought why should i give away knowledge when nobody else wants to. i may repost this in a while, but for now im leaving. no internet for 2 weeks. everybody have some relaxed x-mas days and a good new years eve. best wishes

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
yo... just bcuz ur thread mite not get a "sufficient" amount of looks in an certain amount of time doesnt mean its not a good thread... u gotta remember some of these threads have been done over and over again... ive seen these threads plenty of times on other sites, as well as here... ive posted my style b4, more than once, and so has everyone else... its not that noone's interested, its just been done b4.... but u can always leave ur info, bcuz there are always new people registering on the site and will look at the new threads and not as much at the older stuff... if my thread helps one person in the world, then my job is done.... look at my RS vids, compared to Boon Doc's mpc vids.... no contest, but someone is grateful i posted... thats all that should matter.... dont delete ur threads, unless the Mods feel we have too much of the same, or its inappropriate.

oh yea.... i never even seen this thread till 2day... u best believe i wouldve posted my style again....lol... and i will later... shut up guys...hehe

da relic

T

The Arkitekt

I will never post up how I do my stuff lol. Sorry, theres just no reason to unless im making thousands from producing. Personally, I don't think anyone should give up their secrets just to keep diversity between producer styles.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
yea one morning i was slightly pissed off because there were like 50 views and a week had gone by but no answers, so i thought why should i give away knowledge when nobody else wants to. i may repost this in a while, but for now im leaving. no internet for 2 weeks. everybody have some relaxed x-mas days and a good new years eve. best wishes

u should have been satisfied with the views.......wtf! Some threads aren't looked upon at all!

Anyway, I look at producing like I do DJing. It's comical to me how soooooooo many "wanna b" or actual producers think or want to have a style of there own. Like it's a Holy grail or something.

When I DJ I don't do a whole lot of cutting & scratching. I blend and drop records. My goal is to keep the dance floor packed. It's not a "DJ Comp". There's always a DJ in the house that swears I'm not doing shit (a hater).....lmao. Why, because I don't fuck up the flow by scratching & kutting trying to show I got "AWESOME" DJ skills. U know what, the crowd don't give a damn, as long as I'm playing what they want to hear nothing else matters. That shit only matters to other DJ's who more than likely would like to have your gig!

Producing is the same exact way to me. Everybody thinks they have all the answers and that they have this "style of there own" when they really don't and 1000% of the time what they have (at the most) is a little of everyone's style that has influenced them musically.

Labels don't give a damn about that nor do the artist. If you make "hot music", that's what they want, that's what they pay for. Doesn't matter who's behind the music as long as it's hot and what they want at the time.

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
no, i wasnt huffy because my thread didnt attract attention. i just had thought it might be a good idea to trade actual beatmaking workflows to improve each others skills. telling people to "compress drums" or "eq more" doesnt cut it, if youre not getting into details. you can get that kind of info anywhere else. it wouldnt hurt nobody to give away some secrets and receive some in return, win-win situation.
i posted my detailed workflow and hoped others would follow. after a week there were lots of views but no follow ups, not even feedback...so i guess i was a bit.....errr, well yes, huffy lol

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
^^^ exactly^^^ lol

well, as far as drums are concerned, i usually dont do much to them... i try and find a snare that "snaps" the eardrum, add reverb, change the pitch... maybe layer... not much... same with the kick drum.

samples: even though i havent been doin it much, samplin in stereo is good bcuz the instruments have already been panned in both ears... that gives u more time to concentrate on other parts of the mix.

i guess thats all for me... the rest is too long to write...lol

da relic

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
If you make "hot music", that's what they want, that's what they pay for. Doesn't matter who's behind the music as long as it's hot and what they want at the time.

That's why Kanye can be an egotistical ass hat while still being loved by the masses.

As far as workflow goes, here are some tips to working faster. the better you understand your programs the less time you waste trying to get an idea down = more time to try and test different ideas.

Look at however many programs you use and look at the help or contents files for them. Look at the features you use the most and learn those hot keys, make a word document and print them out. Post them on the wall of your studio and you'll memorize them over time.

When I record verses in my studio with other people I let them record me using sonar. I tell them the commands of the hot keys (while i'm in the booth) so it's easy for anyone to do it. W = rewind, R = Record, Ctrl+Z = undo recording, space bar - play, real simple. But if they are looking at how to do it using a mouse, they are as good as lost.

When I'm editing things in sonar and I need to zoom in, i use the brackets "[" and "]" to zoom in and out really fast. Those are hot keys that I set up myself to make it easier to zoom in and out for editing. It's like making beats or recording using two hands (keyboard AND mouse). much more efficient.

I have an entire different list of hotkeys I use in fruityloops, and one for adobe audition too.

As far as my actual process goes, that'd take some deep explanations and mad time to post lol. That's probably why people don't feel like reposting theirs.

kind of on the same note, here is one I did on sampling and digging almost 3 years ago.

https://www.illmuzik.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17023&highlight=sampling

The archives probably have more of what you are looking for mono.

members online