Beat This voting changes?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
*** illest o.g. ***
Battle Points: 1
When @Matt-D mentioned about the way the voting used to be, it got me thinking about how things could change.

Overall Battle Voting

Right now AOTB is judged by me of course.
Beat Fights, BIU are done with polls.
Warzone, Battle That and Beat This are member votes.

Warzone and Battle That seem okay, it's pretty good the way it's set up because there's a bunch of brackets so the votes are accurate enough.

Beat This Voting

Beat This though is a bit of a problem because there's only one person to vote for. From what I remember years ago, at one point it was me and a handful of members that would vote. For example, for each Beat This contest I would contact maybe 5 members and see if they want to vote. They would send me a private message with their top 5. I would then gather all that up and that would create the top 5 overall.

It was a good system and it was loosely based on the DMC DJ battles, so I had it like this:
  • 1st place: 5 points
  • 2nd place: 4 points
  • 3rd place: 3 points
  • 4th place: 2 points
  • 5th place: 1 point
I would add up the points and go from that. So let's say @2GooD Productions got 4 votes for 1st place: 20 points. The 2nd place might be 18 points, 3rd 12 points, etc. If there was a tie I would break it. I still didn't reveal the points because some would get bummed if they had 0 points.

The only way this is possible is if we have it like that where voters list their top 5. I think the reason why we switched to the current system is because some people complained (that's normal lol).

So if we want changes to the voting I think it's best to use the old system. We can't have everyone just post their top 5 in the thread because then everyone would know who's in what spot and that will influence votes. The other thing is it means the beats won't be displayed randomly, they would have to be just a regular display.

One idea is if we have all members list their top 5, we do it in secret. For example, I could make a page where it shows all the beats and next to it I could put 5 boxes and you type in your top 5 and hit submit. I would get it and do my thing from there. Of course it would still be anonymous and I just put "beat #" and in the box you just put the number of the beat.

What do you guys think?

I like the system how it is because I worked hard to tie it into the database, but if we go the old way that's fine too.

ProducerSpot Black Friday

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
*** illest o.g. ***
Naaaaaah, let's leave it as it is. I don't think there is a need to change voting system as it works very well in my opinion.
It does work well, however the main issue is most of the time the votes are only 1-2 votes apart. With points there's more separation and it gives all members more of a chance of placing since everyone voting will have to submit a top 5.

Memento Beats

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 544
It does work well, however the main issue is most of the time the votes are only 1-2 votes apart. With points there's more separation and it gives all members more of a chance of placing since everyone voting will have to submit a top 5.
Anyway, voting is subjective thing so I don't see any change to be honest. It doesn't matter whether you receive 5 points or something because I think that results wouldn't change much if we decided to go this way. Besides I don't like the thing with choosing a few members to do the voting. Now every vote is equal and everybody who wants to vote can do it.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
*** illest o.g. ***
See right now it's like this:
  • Beat #4: 5 votes
  • Beat #9: 4 votes
  • Beat #13: 1 vote
Now that's okay but what if that one vote separating 1st and 2nd place is from a newbie? I see that a lot. Regardless, it means that the 1-2 spots are separated by only 1 vote.

However, if it's like this:
  • Beat #4: 1st place votes: 5, which = 25 points
  • Beat #9: 1st place votes: 4, which = 20 points
  • Beat #13: 1st place votes: 1, which = 5 points
See the huge difference? Even though the 1-2 spots are separated by 1 vote, there's a big point difference.

crudeking

Delta Force Elite
i agree with @Bugsy , i also agree that the switch up and point system does matter when it's added up.
and i also like @2GooD Productions it should only be good for 3 cause 5 is a bit much...i know i'm new but i've been in many competitions over the years..this is the first site where the voting is in the members hands and not the admin...but this site is still cool af..i'm here to stay

crudeking

Delta Force Elite
See right now it's like this:
  • Beat #4: 5 votes
  • Beat #9: 4 votes
  • Beat #13: 1 vote
Now that's okay but what if that one vote separating 1st and 2nd place is from a newbie? I see that a lot. Regardless, it means that the 1-2 spots are separated by only 1 vote.

However, if it's like this:
  • Beat #4: 1st place votes: 5, which = 25 points
  • Beat #9: 1st place votes: 4, which = 20 points
  • Beat #13: 1st place votes: 1, which = 5 points
See the huge difference? Even though the 1-2 spots are separated by 1 vote, there's a big point difference.
sounds good to me, but i think the older members might not be willing to change because of their comfort zone over the years..but i think it's a great idea

Matt-D

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 74
@Fade i like that idea especially showing the points you accumulate from the battle. Personally I also like how you mentioned voting for top 5 Beats from each member. I think giving point value based on each persons top 5, then totaling those point values up to find the winner is more accurate, and makes it more competitive. It might take a little more time to do, but it makes it more competitive, exciting, and entertaining as opposed to just finding one really good one to vote for. I think rankings from first to last would be fun as well, it will motivate producers to go for better rankings, and move up in rank. Some might get a little hurt but it actually helps improve on skills, it’s a good way for producers to see changes they need to make, and motivate them. It may hurt some lol but it’s only gonna help us push each other as well as make it more competitive.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
*** illest o.g. ***
It should be top 5 because that's what we always display. If everyone just gives their top 3 then there's no top 5 anymore.

I know it's still only 1 vote apart from my example, but the other thing to consider is the ones that don't place. The top 5 system allows members to have more room to vote which means people that normally wouldn't get anything, will now get a few points at least.

crudeking

Delta Force Elite
Still technically 1 vote apart... “six of one, half a dozen of another.” If we need more votes, just make it a requirement that everyone in the battle has to vote or theyre disqualified... wasnt that a rule before too?
i think the contestants should not be voting...it makes the voting a lot better if the voting wasn't involving contestants...most dj and beatmaking contests usually don't allow contestants to vote, usually they have judges...but however fade decides it shouldn't affect the top beatmakers on this site

crudeking

Delta Force Elite
@Fade i like that idea especially showing the points you accumulate from the battle. Personally I also like how you mentioned voting for top 5 Beats from each member. I think giving point value based on each persons top 5, then totaling those point values up to find the winner is more accurate, and makes it more competitive. It might take a little more time to do, but it makes it more competitive, exciting, and entertaining as opposed to just finding one really good one to vote for. I think rankings from first to last would be fun as well, it will motivate producers to go for better rankings, and move up in rank. Some might get a little hurt but it actually helps improve on skills, it’s a good way for producers to see changes they need to make, and motivate them. It may hurt some lol but it’s only gonna help us push each other as well as make it more competitive.
@Matt-D, your right..because being a newbie how am i supposed to know if i need to get better..if i don't even know how i rank...this is a great concept

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
*** illest o.g. ***
Also to note is we've all seen people post in the Beat This thread how they can't decide between 2 or 3 beats. The top 5 system allows them to vote for 5 beats instead of just 1 and they get to order it. Plus if someone didn't place in the top 5 and wants to know if they got any points then I can let them know. Or I could just reveal the points if that's what you guys want.

@crudeking Agreed but the way it is now is the contestants can vote but just not for themselves. So if you vote it's like you're shooting yourself in the foot so to speak because you're actually giving yourself less points. But most contestants vote anyway. I'm all for just having judges but either way it all comes down to being subjective and for some they vote based on their personal tastes.

YannFer

Mr Bernard
Battle Points: 43
Still technically 1 vote apart... “six of one, half a dozen of another.” If we need more votes, just make it a requirement that everyone in the battle has to vote or theyre disqualified... wasnt that a rule before too?
This.
If the problem is there's not enough voters, making it more demanding for people to vote, like ranking their top 5 seems counterproductive... Also, if people enter the contest but don't vote, that's not nice.

I agree with the "Fade breaks a tie" rule. So there's no tie problem.
I don't see why being separated by only one point is a problem. Maybe I'm missing something.

I sure wouldn't want to sacrifice anonimity or the fairness of the voting process to solve these issues anyway.

crudeking

Delta Force Elite
Also to note is we've all seen people post in the Beat This thread how they can't decide between 2 or 3 beats. The top 5 system allows them to vote for 5 beats instead of just 1 and they get to order it. Plus if someone didn't place in the top 5 and wants to know if they got any points then I can let them know. Or I could just reveal the points if that's what you guys want.

@crudeking Agreed but the way it is now is the contestants can vote but just not for themselves. So if you vote it's like you're shooting yourself in the foot so to speak because you're actually giving yourself less points. But most contestants vote anyway. I'm all for just having judges but either way it all comes down to being subjective and for some they vote based on their personal tastes.
@Fade , thanks acknowledging our opinions..even if you decide not to change anything, at least you listen to our opinions..so thank you for considering a change

crog85

Back to the Grind...
Battle Points: 485
So if you vote it's like you're shooting yourself in the foot so to speak because you're actually giving yourself less points.
Only if your the only 1 of 25 contestants to vote... but if everyone was required to vote, it wouldnt be so bad and you’d automatically be guaranteed 20-25 votes, if not more, depending on number of entries

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
*** illest o.g. ***
@YannFer But that's it, it's not just about the 1 point difference thing. It's that voting the current way sucks for the lower ones.

For example, if everyone votes only for 1 beat, then what about the others that don't get any votes? With the top 5 system they can at least get something and they might end up placing.

So let's say nobody places you at the top spots but you get 10 5th place votes. You might end up getting 5th place then, whereas with the current way you wouldn't place at all.

illmuzik on youtube

Tricks & Trap
ProducerSpot Black Friday