Benefits of being in a crew?

Precog

I Phantom
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 10
Ive noticed lately that alot of peeps seem to be involved in some kind of group, whether its with other producers or emcees. Sometimes i be making shit and i just wish i had some people with me with similar taste so we could motivate each other and bounce ides off of one another. When your making music by yourself, i know it can feel liberating since you can do whatever you want really. But i feel i also get lazy cos of this, like im lacking any kind of direction.
An example would be the Wu Tang, i always imagined them together putting ideas foward as to what they wanna collectively create and making some dope, original shit. So i was wondering if you lot would say theres definitley benefits to being invovled in a group.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Im in a group, Ive been in bigger groups, I recomend a smaller group, more people mean more agendas and less solidarity imo.Big groups are cool because there are lots of you, but more people mean more bs in my experience.
Id wig out if I didnt have an artist to work with .
In fact id be full time rhymin, I cant make the music with no one over it..drive me nuts!

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Ive noticed lately that alot of peeps seem to be involved in some kind of group, whether its with other producers or emcees. Sometimes i be making shit and i just wish i had some people with me with similar taste so we could motivate each other and bounce ides off of one another. When your making music by yourself, i know it can feel liberating since you can do whatever you want really. But i feel i also get lazy cos of this, like im lacking any kind of direction.
An example would be the Wu Tang, i always imagined them together putting ideas foward as to what they wanna collectively create and making some dope, original shit. So i was wondering if you lot would say theres definitley benefits to being invovled in a group.

The main benefit for a producer especially is it shortens the learning curve. You can learn more than one way to approach making tracks, sampling, recording etc. Also, with more people within a collective, you have fresh new ideas and constant inspiration.

I started out working with somebody, then for like 2 years I was solo, and when I went back to collaborating with others I found a HUGE improvement in little areas like technique and my approach to making music.
For a guy like me, I'm very competitive in a positive way meaning, if someone is doing a song or a beat that I like, my first thought isn't to put them down or bash the song - I'm thinking "Man I gotta hit the lab too and come up with something" so working with people keeps that energy flowing for me.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
man i can tell you that shit helps alot...Ive always consideried my self a decent producer and so has my partner holmz but when we get togher ideals flow like voltron... Holmz will take a beat i did and edit drops in protools and give it a totally differnt flava... having somebody(who is on your level) just gives you a muse to bounce ideas off of..

the key is to find somebody who is on the same level as you with a different style....

class..

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
Sometimes being in a group especially if an emcee is involved helps you get your music out if your not already selling beats on your own. For example RZA an 9th wonder, do the beats for your crew and your all helping each other.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Crews are cool! As long as everybody plays there position and has some what the same goals. The problems always creep in when the "crew" attains a level of success. If a front man a.k.a the brain is not established in the beginning, and everybody else is assigned a role, the crew will spawn too many heads.

A lot of heads and "no" body only works if you're investing in a cabbage patch.

If you're used to going it alone I wouldn't give it up for a crew. You can become "affiliated" with like minded people though. Something like a club so to speak. Come together on occasion and put in work on various projects.

What ever u do! DO NOT INVEST IN EQUIPMENT WITH A CREW. BYOBB to the party if you know what I mean.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
What we've recently started doing is taking time before we start working on new material
is show up to the spot with new music or rough ideas and brainstorm on how to make each beat/song that is played - improve in a constructive way.

I think that making beats that you know everybody is gonna critique makes you go harder when putting them together

Honestly, the last 3 years of hip hop music should have taught us that just because the beat requires no skill to make, doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't have a market/outlet - so I don't believe in calling stuff wack anymore, it's a "concept in need of more development". I want my wackest beat to have drums sounding right, and all the lil' things that make a beat sound "complete" and I think that playing it routinely around other producers that want you to succeed helps you a great deal.

Just think: albums like the Chronic, All Eyes on Me, The Infamous, all the Roc-a-fella albums, and most of the early Wu stuff were made with everybody contributing to a common cause.

If you're off in a mountain somewhere with an engineer for 3 months it's not gonna come out as good as it should.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Honestly, the last 3 years of hip hop music should have taught us that just because the beat requires no skill to make, doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't have a market/outlet - so I don't believe in calling stuff wack anymore, it's a "concept in need of more development". I want my wackest beat to have drums sounding right, and all the lil' things that make a beat sound "complete" and I think that playing it routinely around other producers that want you to succeed helps you a great deal.

Say "word"! The showcase here does that in most cases. Most guys are brutally honest which is what we need to get better. My only complaint is the ones who negatively comment on the "style of music" as opposed to the production itself. IMO production skill has nothing to do with whether you like the "style" of music. If it's produced well for what it is give props. If its suppose to be a certain genre but is missing the essential elements to make it so then critique that accordingly. It's better not to comment at all rather than shoot it down because you don't like the genre or style.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
^^^ thats why its essential that the people you work with are "on your level" both skill and vision wise... i feel you about being in that position where your relying on others to do their part. Imo the best work when all people involved have the ability to do get it done themselves..but CHOOSE to work togther. that way the collaboration is not essential or even worse forced, but preffered.

and thats a big part of why online collabs kinda suck too.. the whole relying on other people thing.. ive had rappers hold my beats for years.. and I aint gonna lie ive held and stalled on other peoples stuff/projects for way too long too.. some cats in this forum too.. (i apologize.... u know who u are).. in person collabs tend to have a much better success rate and turn out more cohesive..

S

Svenghali

I like being solo, I seem to get more done when I don't have to rely on other people.

I second that.... I've always been on my own. I was never fortunate to find a "like-minded" producer. I'm sure the advantages are tremendous, especially for growth. Ash got it right, the person has to be "on your level", both skills and vision-wise. Class also makes the point "the key is to find somebody who is on the same level as you with a different style". I got used to relying on and doin' for self. I know with certainty (especially in light of recent developments with a well-known producer I worked with in New York over the past 5 months), I'd prefer to work alone.

Drama, I feel you, been hollerin' 'bout that "style of music" shit since I got here. It's a cop out. If it's hot, it's hot.

Ez now

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
I think there's advantages and disadvantages to both.

Ash is definitely right that you need to find the right person on the same wavelength. I've played in quite a few bands with other people and when it's not the right people, so to speak, it can drive you absolutely crazy. There's a few people I've come close to throttling in these situations. So i definitely prefer working on my own but collaborating with others on occasion. When roles are defined things work more smoothly. If I'm working with a vocalist then I expect they do the vocals and I do the rest. Suggestions etc are not unwelcome but there's a line that shouldn't be crossed, IMO. Drives me crazy when a vocalist wants to lay down a beat or something and then I have to tell them if it's crap. They get all snippy etc etc etc.

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
If I'm working with a vocalist then I expect they do the vocals and I do the rest. Suggestions etc are not unwelcome but there's a line that shouldn't be crossed, IMO. Drives me crazy when a vocalist wants to lay down a beat or something and then I have to tell them if it's crap. They get all snippy etc etc etc.

I second that, a good example of some of the Pro's in the game is Wyclef and Lauryn Hill.

check it Here

Lauryn is a vocalist, not a beat maker, and Wyclef dont play dat shit. Good article to see how even the best of friends can have their differences.

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
@ Kontents: that's exactly the sort of shit I mean. I'm a long way from being professional so I've mostly only worked with friends. Sometimes it's harder to tell your mate than a stranger that you don't like what they did. One mate that I'm looking to do some stuff with this year has great vocal ideas and presence but wants to be a "musician" too. Hard to tell him I don't like his ideas, gets all sensitive n shit.

@LDB: I know it's a bit off topic..... actually I agree with what you said; if it's hot it's hot doesn't matter what style....BUT... I think if people aren't feeling a beat it's good to know that too. I've heard some stuff that has all the elements that should make a good beat: well mixed; nice samples; good drums etc but still wouldn't say it's good. I know you're on this "nothing is wack" thing, but there's more to good music than just skills and good mixing IMO, (I'm not saying you said that; I'm just trying to say theres more to it than something being "well produced").

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
@ Kontents: that's exactly the sort of shit I mean. I'm a long way from being professional so I've mostly only worked with friends. Sometimes it's harder to tell your mate than a stranger that you don't like what they did. One mate that I'm looking to do some stuff with this year has great vocal ideas and presence but wants to be a "musician" too. Hard to tell him I don't like his ideas, gets all sensitive n shit.

@LDB: I know it's a bit off topic..... actually I agree with what you said; if it's hot it's hot doesn't matter what style....BUT... I think if people aren't feeling a beat it's good to know that too. I've heard some stuff that has all the elements that should make a good beat: well mixed; nice samples; good drums etc but still wouldn't say it's good. I know you're on this "nothing is wack" thing, but there's more to good music than just skills and good mixing IMO, (I'm not saying you said that; I'm just trying to say theres more to it than something being "well produced").

Nothing is whack thing! U got me peg'd wrong my white all over jump suit wearing friend (lol).

I'm just saying, its not "whack" production wise because you don't like the style of music. I really don't see how anybody can argue that point. If you take the time to listen to it and it has all the necessary elements for that genre and it sounds accordingly, either give props for that or don't critique it. If you don't know the elements it's suppose to have "DON'T CRITIQUE IT".

Listening to someones music and knocking it just because you don't like the style or genre is not cool or productive IMO. Every producer doesn't produce the same style. If everything sounded according to certain peoples personal taste music would be madd boring. U can't ask someone from say "middle" Alabama to do a hardcore hip hop track man. Unless that's what they do and hear on a regular it's no logical!

I second that, a good example of some of the Pro's in the game is Wyclef and Lauryn Hill.

check it Here

Lauryn is a vocalist, not a beat maker, and Wyclef dont play dat shit. Good article to see how even the best of friends can have their differences.

Ummm.....horrible example...lol

HAVE U HEARD LAURYN LATELY? Obviously not.

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Nothing is whack thing! U got me peg'd wrong my white all over jump suit wearing friend (lol).

I'm just saying, its not "whack" production wise because you don't like the style of music. I really don't see how anybody can argue that point. If you take the time to listen to it and it has all the necessary elements for that genre and it sounds accordingly, either give props for that or don't critique it. If you don't know the elements it's suppose to have "DON'T CRITIQUE IT".

Listening to someones music and knocking it just because you don't like the style or genre is not cool or productive IMO. Every producer doesn't produce the same style. If everything sounded according to certain peoples personal taste music would be madd boring. U can't ask someone from say "middle" Alabama to do a hardcore hip hop track man. Unless that's what they do and hear on a regular it's no logical!

You're exactly right, couldn't agree with you more. I was trying to say that sometimes a track has all the necessary elements and sounds accordingly but still has something missing if you know what I mean.

I have pretty broad musical taste for that reason, gets boring when everything sounds the same. The best stuff is produced by people being themselves, individual and not sounding like everything else. If it's good then it's good don't matter what style it is.

I wish I did have a jumpsuit like that.