Chopping samples without drums

Nocturnl

Man Utd Nut
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I have always chopped samples with drums but today i found a dope sample without any drums and i tried chopping it but i cant get that same size chop im used to and its causing mini gaps between parts of the beat,any tips on how to or is it a different chopping process altogether

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
im not sure what ur usin, but u might have a different "chop" option that ur not usin.. i have 5 slice options for percussion, and for phrases (sounds without drums), with different sensitivity levels.. u might wanna look into that part.

da relic

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I dont know about reason but in FL you can chop using your metronome as a guide. you just have to find bpm first...so try that, turn on your metronome and use it as a reference for your chops.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
I use Recycle to chop :)

You'll definitely have to use something where you can set your chops manually. I don't remember if u can do that with Recycle. Way back when I used Recycle it chop'd rhythmically meaning you needed something with drum hits or percussions. You may want to try "resampling". Adding your own light drum hits over the sample, render that track with them combined and then drop it back into recycle.

Nocturnl

Man Utd Nut
ill o.g.
You'll definitely have to use something where you can set your chops manually. I don't remember if u can do that with Recycle. Way back when I used Recycle it chop'd rhythmically meaning you needed something with drum hits or percussions. You may want to try "resampling". Adding your own light drum hits over the sample, render that track with them combined and then drop it back into recycle.

I always set my chops manually in recycle,that light drum hits idea is dope,thanks man

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
I always set my chops manually in recycle,that light drum hits idea is dope,thanks man

No problem...I see you can move the markers manually so either way u should be able to get the chops where u need them. You can time stretch with Recycle so you should be able to get that sample to loop 2,4 or 8 bars and if the loop sounds right you can "chop her up" no problems.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
How do u timestretch in there,didnt know u could do that in recycle

Any time you can change the tempo of a loop you're time stretching. Depends on what version of Recycle you're using whether you'll actually see the word "time stretching" as a feature...it's in later versions. If u stretch too much u get artifacts with recycle. I don't get artifacts with ableton live...lol (had to throw hat in there)

Technically what recycle does isnt time stretching.
To get better slices you have to zoom right in and be very precise with the chops, you also like LDB said cannot slow the sample down too much without it sounding choppy, for this reason i stopped using recycle and started doing my chops in an audio editor, I use soundforge to chop then import the individual chops into an nnxt, that way I get much more control over the individual chops, like tuning start/end/key/finetune the tone/use ASDR, until my rearranged chops sound much cleaner.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Technically what recycle does isnt time stretching.
To get better slices you have to zoom right in and be very precise with the chops, you also like LDB said cannot slow the sample down too much without it sounding choppy, for this reason i stopped using recycle and started doing my chops in an audio editor, I use soundforge to chop then import the individual chops into an nnxt, that way I get much more control over the individual chops, like tuning start/end/key/finetune the tone/use ASDR, until my rearranged chops sound much cleaner.

That's what I thought...I think that's why I stop'd using recycle as well. It's cool for samples with drums....kind of limited with other samples. I think I used Acid Pro most of the time back when I used Reason.

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I love Fxpansion's Geist. It's pretty sweet, standalone and VSTi (AU and RTAS, as well). The sampling, slicing and grouping capabilities is super slick and if you're a Guru user you should be able to pick Geist apart pretty well. I've never cared much for Guru myself, but I freakin love Geist.

On a Sidenote: There seems to be quite a bit of users that use Geist in Maschine.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I was going to ask if it has time stretching as well, Lion.....

Because I still do some chopping in Cool Edit because some things need to be stretched.....if Geist can do that...I'm getting it yesterday.

Forget it...did a search on another site and saint joe said it time stretches..lmao.

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
i cant believe you havent chopped anything w/o drums before!!! i barely ever chop stuff with drums...barely ever man.....i could tell you, but id have to kill you... nah you do it like this....
you need a wave editor to this mind, or something that chops anyway....

you need to make sure the sample loops properly for this to work, so make that happen first....anything can be looped...ANYTHING

so once it is looping in time, forget about it being smooth, if it is great, if it isnt fuck it, fix it in a bit....count how many bars the sample is. for this example are going to use a four bar loop and our tune is 95BPM

so.... looping in time, yea.... get it looping in time. Next we need to match the tempo of the loop to the tempo of your track, so what you do is work out how long 4 bars is in seconds in your tune... so for a 95BPM track 4 bars is 07.120 seconds...

now go back to your wae editor and time stretch the fucker to 07.120 seconds.

so now your whole loop is in the same tempo as as your track.

no to chop it further you need to split the track into more equal pieces....say we want to chop it into 4 pieces.

so i our head we are counting 1,2,3,4 whilst the sample is looping round....if you hae soundforge at this point, you can press "M" every time you count a beat. This roughly marks your chop points, which should all be of a similar length now.

Next you zoom into your markers and adjust the cut points so the chops are smooth. Basically take your marker and move it to the correct point, if it is a melody that is not completely off beat, this would most probably be the start of a note , if it is off beat and the marker lands right in a block of silence, then you are just going to have to trust your ear or your original marker point. Do this for all 4 sections, making sure the markers are in zero crossing positions.

At this point all of the sections should be about the same length of time, but as we known, humans are not quantise grid perfect, so the sections will all be slightly different lengths but the sum length equaling the correct length of the total loop, in this case 07.120 seconds.

We need to make these sections quantise grid perfect now, so there are not clicks or pops when you put them in your sampler/track. SO we pull of each section into its own window/area, so we have 4 seperate 1 bar loops now.

We go back to the DAW and work out exactly how long each 1 bar should be. in this case, at 95 BPM each bar is 02.526 seconds long. Go back to the wave editor and time stretch each section to 02.526 seconds...

et voila! there you have it! a 4 bar sample cut into 4 perfectly timed sections, assign them to seperate keys or pads in your sampler and BOOM, you can move around and rearrange without any clicks or pops....

obviously this is a very basic method but you have to get the basics going on before you can do more advanced chops...but it is all maths and once you get the method down, only your maths can let you down....

and before anyone says anything about killing the groove, you are only quantising the start of each section, what goes on in the middle of the sample is still un touched....and also, shuffle and swing in a daw ignore the 1,2,3,4 because shit dont swing unless there is something striaght to swing off!

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
LOL....so glad I don't have to do ANY of that^^^^^^^^^ shhhhh to "get er done"

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
like i say know the theory, know the basics.... that is part of breakbeat science right there....

Tr3ydeeze

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Damn I can do all of that with about 6-8 clicks of a mouse in Ableton.... Mayby 12-14 in Logic 9. Lol

members online