contract example

T

trillnotez

This contract is cool but it's irrelevant to the songwriter (composer). First, let me clear some things up. A lot of people, especially in urban music, confuse producer and composer (beatmaker) up. They assume that they are one in the same and in most cases, that's true, but in a lot of cases it is not true. The paraphrased industry definition for producer is someone who brings the lyrics and music together and turn it into a complete song. Producers are hired by labels to put that magic on a artist and/or band and make them stars. In urban music, it's the same, not all producers are composers (beat makers). Any body can attempt to make a beat, that does not make them a producer though. A producer can develop artists and bring stuff out of them that the artist did even know they possessed, so again a beat maker IS NOT A producer.

For people selling beats to artists, labels, libraries, etc....they need an agreement to sell their music interest (songwriting) to a song. Lyrics plus music makes a song so all composers (beatmakers) are entitled to songwriting royalties just like lyric writers. A producer who didn't compose the music, nor write a lyric, is not entitled to receive songwriting royalties but would receive their royalty from the artist's royalties from the label........

The question is......Should a composer sell their exclusive rights to a beat and lose their copyright on it, if so, then an exclusive rights agreement should be drawn up and the artist or label has bought the rights to the music and don't have to pay any further royalties unless you agree. Everything is optional, but I would say to somehow get a large advance and get a small advance and keep your songwriting royalties.........I've sold my rights of some of my beats in the past, but now I would take a smaller upfront fee and keep my songwriting royalties.........

J-malice

PRODUCER ALMIGHTY!!
ill o.g.
yoooooooo that contract is on point like cross stichin. good look.
couldnt you just replace the words producer with composer or something like that? u kno jus tweak it up a lil bit?

nospe

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Are You The Producer IF you do the hook of a song and the beat

SO is Pherrell,Dre,Timberland,Manny Fresh, ect. Producers?

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Originally posted by nospe
Are You The Producer IF you do the hook of a song and the beat

SO is Pherrell,Dre,Timberland,Manny Fresh, ect. Producers?

you can be a featured artist, producer or composer...

on paper most normally put composer...

KENWOP

BROOKLYN'S FINEST
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 27
sup peeps ive been getting alot of intresting people wanting to buy tracks but havn't sold ne yet cause i dont wanna get jerkd na mean but is this contract all i need to be coverd and get my credit and oh yea what about leasing is there a contract for that if so any linx? any help would be apreciated peace ill peeps

nas2000xl

The Ripper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Originally posted by trillnotez
This contract is cool but it's irrelevant to the songwriter (composer). First, let me clear some things up. A lot of people, especially in urban music, confuse producer and composer (beatmaker) up. They assume that they are one in the same and in most cases, that's true, but in a lot of cases it is not true.

yea techically thats true if you want to go by the book and if you do symphony & orchestral music. (lol) but in the world of hiphip when you make a beat for an artist and you are there to over see the whole project and have input on it as well, then that makes you the producer. you never here busta rhymes, jayz, snoop, or any of them say , the neptunes composed this track for me, or missy say, timbaland composed this track for me. they say just blaze produced this track. face it we are the producers. a lot of record companies use to house several producers at one time. they don`t do that anymore. why? because we do the work for them.

M

MIKELABZ

FIRST OF ALL GET YOUR SHYT COPYRIGHTED IN YOUR NAME BEFORE U TAKE ANY CONTRACT PROPOSALS... THAT WAY THEY WILL HAVE TO OFFER U EXTRA TO GET AHOLD OF YOUR TRACKS...

Mox of Blazin'

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
ummm hummm. true dat.
i'm also glad that chu pointed out the differences between a producer n a composer.
Y'all aren't rappers so don't be getting it twisted.

:dance: ohh! punchline...

P_1

One of THE OG MEMBERS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 38
Originally posted by trillnotez
Everything is optional, but I would say to somehow get a large advance and get a small advance and keep your songwriting royalties..........

you lost me there bro. what???