Creative Block

Recently I’ve been going through a block haven’t made complete beats in a while and it’s bugging me out idk what to do I’ve been looking at webs like splice and using their loops to make beats but I’m second guessing that process feels like I should be original, so the question is, is it frowned on to use sampled loops to make your own beats

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Recently I’ve been going through a block haven’t made complete beats in a while and it’s bugging me out idk what to do I’ve been looking at webs like splice and using their loops to make beats but I’m second guessing that process feels like I should be original, so the question is, is it frowned on to use sampled loops to make your own beats
It happens to everyone. The best bet is to:
  • Take a break.
  • Listen to other types of music that you don't normally listen to.
  • Start your beats a different way that you normally do.
  • Use samples or synths that you haven't before.
  • Watch beat making videos.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I wrote this a while ago but I think it applies

#1 Take a break from the typical genres you enjoy. If you only listen to hip-hop check out metal, if you only like fiction get some non-fiction, if you look at surrealistic paintings….well you get the idea. Spend some time with these new genres, get to know and enjoy them.

#2 Get two magazines, find a page in each magazine with people on them. Rip the page out of each magazine. Now write a short story as to how these two people are connected.

#3 Everyday get out for at least a 20 minute walk by yourself with no phone or music players. You need to be alone with your thoughts.

#4 Go to a new part of town you have never been to before. Go to a new coffee shop and strike up a conversation with a stranger. Maybe someone you would normally be afraid to talk with, it also helps if they have totally different religion and/or political views are you. Try and really see their side and be in their shoes. Make a new friend and get a new perspective.

#5 Take up a new instrument that you would never consider playing. Maybe the bagpipes, the culture around that instrument alone will help get you out of the funk. Victor Wooten for example (one of the best bass players alive) had Bela Fleck teach him some things about the banjo, and Victor took those lessons and applied them to his bass playing, Amazing!

I wrote this a while ago but I think it applies

#1 Take a break from the typical genres you enjoy. If you only listen to hip-hop check out metal, if you only like fiction get some non-fiction, if you look at surrealistic paintings….well you get the idea. Spend some time with these new genres, get to know and enjoy them.

#2 Get two magazines, find a page in each magazine with people on them. Rip the page out of each magazine. Now write a short story as to how these two people are connected.

#3 Everyday get out for at least a 20 minute walk by yourself with no phone or music players. You need to be alone with your thoughts.

#4 Go to a new part of town you have never been to before. Go to a new coffee shop and strike up a conversation with a stranger. Maybe someone you would normally be afraid to talk with, it also helps if they have totally different religion and/or political views are you. Try and really see their side and be in their shoes. Make a new friend and get a new perspective.

#5 Take up a new instrument that you would never consider playing. Maybe the bagpipes, the culture around that instrument alone will help get you out of the funk. Victor Wooten for example (one of the best bass players alive) had Bela Fleck teach him some things about the banjo, and Victor took those lessons and applied them to his bass playing, Amazing!
Great advice I appreciate you, I love making music it really bugged me when I got stuck

It happens to everyone. The best bet is to:
  • Take a break.
  • Listen to other types of music that you don't normally listen to.
  • Start your beats a different way that you normally do.
  • Use samples or synths that you haven't before.
  • Watch beat making videos.
Thanks for taking the time out to give me this advice, and watching beat making videos do help I was inspired by Ryan Leslie first beat making videos to going get back to what inspired me thanks again

Take a break from it completely. Just do something else for a while. It happens to me sometimes when I pound myself so much I get burnt out. Literally just stop doing music for about 2 or 3 days. Eventually, if you are like me, that hunger will find u again and when u sit down you will hang out like 3 beats. And they will sound awesome

Ovacean

Just call me Ov.
Battle Points: 2
I'm just now coming out of a 3 week hiatus. I stopped making music completely and stopped hearing melodies and song ideas in my head. The biggest thing I've learned in my production career is sometimes you just have to step away and get some fresh air. Enjoy things, mentally process things you haven't had time to process. (My grandfather passed away a few weeks ago and I was moving at a momentum that did not allow me to fully process it until I just took some time to slow down)

As far as having a creative block... the thing that works for me is experimenting and realizing that everything you produce is not going to sound good. Sometimes you have to step outside your creative box and just try things. Some tracks I've started and just walked away from because it was just getting worse and worse lolol. But coming back to that same track a few days/weeks later and playing around with it can bring a completely different sound.

members online