Digging: Crap/Jewel ratio.....

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
so, THIS is the joy and pain of digging.... for every useable sample i wade through tons of crap (looking at a wider pallette now, leaving the soul behind....), well, not necessarily crap, actually a lot of good music, but things that jump out as a dope sample are far and few between... but i found this dope african dude named fela kuti, damn an african james brown! go figure..... but i feel like i am about to rape his whole catalog, so i'm still looking for more stuff.. but so far, so good... but a lot of crap in between........ this ali farka guy is pretty good as well, but nothing jumps out yet.... but black ivory did a horrible rendition of "got to be there"- the jackson five did it WAY better... this one was paiful.. but i found some good drums from them.... this can be SOOOOOOOOOO love hate..... (digging) your thoughts?

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3

Attachments

• beauty1.jpg
    beauty1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 356
C

Copenhagen

Good loops that stand out af really far inbetween, where stuff you can chop and arrange together with other stuff happens more often.
Fela Kuti is nice. Black Ivory only have a few good songs I think...
Anyway, go for it!

Synopsis

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I'd have to say about 1 in 20 songs I listen to have a dope sample I can use. About 1 in 10 have drum samples I keep. Half the time, I just pick an artist off a big list I have and download a couple tracks to see if theres anything worthwhile. Kind of a russian roulette way of finding samples, but it works.

E

Equality 7-2521

i sample nearly anything that is a solo sound.

and keep in mind that the artist of the record rarely matters.
some of the best samples are on some of the shittest albums.

finding wack stuff is part of it though. its like edison and the light bulb. its like digging for gold. you gotta dig the bullshit before you find the prize. its all part of it. think abou tit dude. if every single sample was dope, sure youd have dope samples but it wouldnt be as fun.

i think the fun is worth having not all dope samples on every piece of wax

digging is the bomb

J

Josef K.

Originally posted by Mr. Messenger
digging is the bomb [/B]
so when are you going to get your lazy ass out into town and wade through piles of wax in old record stores with me....cmon, ive got thursday and saturday free....we can piss off the guy at record library that always tells me off for taking more than the alotted 15 minutes to listen to records at a time....or atleast let me raid your grandmas record collection.........

anyways enough of that, as everyone has said, such is the joy of digging, the fact that its so hard to come across a truly dope sample....count yourself lucky that you dont have to do alot of your digging in adelaide record stores with not many records, and a whole lotta crap, its much safer for me to raid other peoples record collections, and much nicer to my bank account...its just hard to get that opportunity

Streetwize

Beat Architects !
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 49
theres neraly always SOMETHING you can sample from a record

whether its a dope ass loop or whether its a break or a hihat or a roll or percussion, theres always something

E

Equality 7-2521

Originally posted by Josef K.
so when are you going to get your lazy ass out into town and wade through piles of wax in old record stores with me....cmon, ive got thursday and saturday free....we can piss off the guy at record library that always tells me off for taking more than the alotted 15 minutes to listen to records at a time....or atleast let me raid your grandmas record collection.........

oi cunt you dont even the sample the shit you pick up lol! you just leave it sitting there. i would have thought that with THREE recording programs youd be quite capapble of taking the samples.

Saturday we shall get our hands dusty

oh and where is YOUR grandparents record collection?

J

Josef K.

they have no record collection

and i havent sampled most of my records yet cos my computer was fucked for ages and only just got fixed

E

Equality 7-2521

^^^^excuses excuses

ps. your grandparents must be total losers. no wax!? pft.

-------------------

i agree with streetwise on this one.

rock record sometimes have nothing though

monumental

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 6
when i look for samples i think it's better if the person or album is unknown, if your songs ever goes big it will save you bucks.

FTdub

SP1200 manhandler
ill o.g.
I think as the more you dig, the better your ratio gets because you get to be a more discriminating buyer. And as you accumulate records you have less need to buy what you are unsure of. But I alsways take a chance on a few records each dig because, thats the rush, finding dope obscure stuff. Any record you can take even one 2 second sample from is a success. Just cuz you don't know how to use it today, doesn't mean tomorrow you won't either.

Da IllFellaz

Knee Deep In Da Beats
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 125
my ratio more like 1:5. i be flippin some crazy shit n try to make it my own. dats da pleasure i get. finding a record dat no one likes n flip it on some oh shiiiitt!!!!, dats hot.

n also, once u do find dat sample, u jus know it. u like WHEEEWWWW!!!! ima murder this.

jus my two sense

nomezzy

ed_sizzahanz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
The thing you gotta realize is that you develop your sound continually, and what might not be tight to you or deemed usable at one time, you might listen to it months later and know how to freak it then. So what might be a lump of coal one month, might be a diamond later.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Equality 7-2521 said:
i sample nearly anything that is a solo sound.

and keep in mind that the artist of the record rarely matters.
some of the best samples are on some of the shittest albums.

you ain't lyin...I usually judge vinyl by the cover and name...

Lately i've been able to find some hot samples on records with a crazy ass picture on it....

But nothing compared to "jesus christ superstar"

Can't go wrong w/jesus....