does digging make you wanna play

mr mello

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
collecting all these records and listening to all this music has inspired me to start my own band. Not that I'm tired of sampling. Its just that I get so inspired sometimes....

Its like Madlibs YNQ, I just want to do something thats more ... organic.

Wonder if anyone feels the same.

FTdub

SP1200 manhandler
ill o.g.
Digging makes me wanna sample. I have done the hip hop band thang and I would again, but buying and listening to records makes me wanna sample and cut. I can only play bass as far as instruments go so I could never create sounscapes as in depth as Class or anyone else. But I don't sample, scratch, or make beats to make money really. I do it because its an addiction. I just love hording records, sampling, and scratching.

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
hearing how dope there artists we sample from just makes me wanna learn more about the artists and they lifestyle cos the feeling they injected into the music is incredible, defo makes me wanna step my game up.

dont know about starting a band tho, lol but i will be incorporating my synth into my beats but ima always compliment that with samples.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Good luck on the band! bands are great if you find the right musicians, you can take your ideas to another level too....the only thing is that a band takes LOTS of dedication and time and the hours you spend in a week practicing and learning a song.....might have translated into like 3 or 4 songs, ask Hookiefree! he doesn't come on here a lot anymore but he produces some good Neo Music and I used to play in one of his bands a few years ago and takes takes his original concepts from the studio and has the band perform the songs, I was recently asked to rejoin an old band I gigged with about 4 years ago I am considering it but I know the dedication and amount of time I am hesitating........hey Class how do you get that live feel when sampling I wanna hear what you're talking about......I have resampled my old stuff and then reuse it like a sample before on my old motif and the triton...its definitely possible but it was not as convincing as vinyl though, or are you talking about emulating the way a record would sound into your soundset and the way you use effects on it? but I will tell you the concept is if you can get a live band that is funky enuff, get a digital recording of a session or practice then use those samples in a song, I have yet to do that even though I have a ton of live and pa performances of some of the bands I played in......I think Producer X is also a live band player too....he can give you a lot of insight.......most of the producers that I know personally have been gigging musicians at one point, in either Jazz, GoGo or some Neo.....perfect example is Chucky Thompson, he was one of Puffy's original Hit men but he was playing with Chuck Brown b4 that and knew how to play a couple of instruments like Bass and Keys......
This topic is sort of debatable because most cats that never ever, played in any kind of organized club or lounge band might disagree on how it might help you, I played in bands all the way from the 6th grade 1st or second chair all the way thru high school and we used to win festivals all of that good stuff.....but its completely different from learning stuff on the fly and freestyling with a garage or lounge band.....main thing like I said before it helped my ear out.....so now since I don't really sample I am listening to old music for melodies that I can replay and then change them to something original....But Madlib is one of my favorite producers because he uses a wide range of music to sample and use....some that most hip hop producers either ain't touching or would not know how to flip and make it dope, he is definitely outside of the box.

Producer X

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What up

I don't dig much, but I feel what you're saying. Especially if it's a hot LIVE record. I used to gig in bands for years and there's nothing like it. Especially if your band can move a crowd. I haven't gigged in a few years, but I want to get back into it (freelance). The problem I have with bands is egos. Cats are always trying to upstage each other. That's one of the reasons I stopped gigging. In my studio, I'm in charge.

Like BigD said, there's a lot of time and energy involved in playing in bands. Rehearsal, carrying gear, set-up, play, break-down. That part I don't miss.

DC area has a strong musician base and breed some top notch producers/musicians, Chucky Thompson (whom I've played with) Rich Harrison, Chink Santana and a few others that are flying below the radar.

X

ill o.g.
YO mr. mello, that exact same shit happened to me, I have been samplin since i was a little kid and after a while i was like dude instead of just jackin these fools riffs i wanna make my own, so i learned to play the keys and now i jam with any musician i meet and record it with my little tape recorder and if there was a part in our jam session that was hip hoppish i'll recreate it and make a beat outtof it, its beutiful, it gives much more of a rewarding feeling than jus sittin in your room listenin to a record and sayin whoa that soundin cool i think i'm gunna use it for my own work u kno what i'm sayin

R

robert

I just got into sampling when I bought my Stanton ST-100 like last week. The first minute I hooked it up too my computer, I popped in a record and listened too this 3-4 sec part and sampled it. Oh man was there a lot of pops but I filtered it and got rid of it good ;) Each time I dig it makes me wanna sample more and more. Sampling is a challenge but fun ha. Its like you search for something cool and the drums or bass is layered in the part you would die too sample. That was the reason in the other post I asked if there were any records that I could buy that didnt have any drums on there, just one vinyl with just piano, one vinyl with just guitars etc.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
classic said:
Well instead of sampling something , i will just recreate the same feel from scratch, alot of times i find thats alot more rewarding

class..
Thats a great perspective! - Im just recently realizing this.....Well said Class.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Does digging make me wanna play??

Absolutely NOT! In my mind, they are totally separate things. Chopping and sampling IS a skill, and if done right I do consider it an art, but I don't consider turntablist "musicians".
I consider sampling, a sub-genre of DJ'ing, which hip hop was started on anyways.
Digging is a pain in the ass, somedays I wanna bring a stool to sit down and look at tons of records, it's an absolute addiction too. But I feel I'm better than other hip hop producers because I dig for shit I actually enjoy listening to instead of "this cover has a beeyatch with a afro and platform shoes, so it gotta have some hot loops on it."

I play guitar because I like playing guitar. I really don't ever think about re-creating a guitar sample, I like the guitar sample on THAT record, so that's what I'll use. I'll only re-create after somebody sues me hahaha!

Nuff B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
sometimes i get the sample and play over it and find that what i played sounds good than i just use that i sample alot and play along with it i find it to sound real good i just started playin the keys so i am minor at chords and all that but my beats have takin a boost since i started playin keys instead of clickin the mouse

members online