Drum Digging, need some help from experienced cats here

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
ok its like this

ive made my drum "sound" by utilizing bangin beats/onestopbeats/modernbeats/etc kits and combining them with acoustic preset kits from my sound modules and vst's, and various effectsand whatnot. i like my drums personally.

anyhow

i want to expand that sound, and i want to start sampling some hits. problem is, i dont have a record player and i cant afford to cop a bunch of random cd's in hopes of finding a good hit or two.

so i need some direction here. whose got good drums for sampling? what artists? i've got to do this bootleg style cause i am brooooooooooke right now.

yeah i know this is the lazy mans way out
but digging has never been my steeze, and as a composer who has sworn off sampling i havent much of a collection nor a deep knowledge of where to go. i need some grimier, raw sounds (alchemist, 9th, primo, etc) for my new projects and so any direction would be helpful.

if ya'll just think im too lazy or whatever and it violates your ethics, i can understand that as well.

thanks in advance, peace

50 cal

King of the West
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Cold Truth said:
ok its like this

ive made my drum "sound" by utilizing bangin beats/onestopbeats/modernbeats/etc kits and combining them with acoustic preset kits from my sound modules and vst's, and various effectsand whatnot. i like my drums personally.

anyhow

i want to expand that sound, and i want to start sampling some hits. problem is, i dont have a record player and i cant afford to cop a bunch of random cd's in hopes of finding a good hit or two.

so i need some direction here. whose got good drums for sampling? what artists? i've got to do this bootleg style cause i am brooooooooooke right now.

yeah i know this is the lazy mans way out
but digging has never been my steeze, and as a composer who has sworn off sampling i havent much of a collection nor a deep knowledge of where to go. i need some grimier, raw sounds (alchemist, 9th, primo, etc) for my new projects and so any direction would be helpful.

if ya'll just think im too lazy or whatever and it violates your ethics, i can understand that as well.

thanks in advance, peace

Maybe try some really old gospel stuff. My dad has a whole bunch of old gospel tapes and cd's and you can get alot of individual drum hits and sounds. i've made some evil sinister stuff out of a happy sounding gospel song so i'm sure you could find something.

Lex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Okay, since you don't have a record player I would suggest just downloading mp3s[or actually buying CDs] of tracks that you know have those played out breaks in them [James Brown's Funky Drummer etc] and just grabbing the open drum sounds.

When you have a few decent ones, you can EQ them and layer them with your existing drum sounds and that should provide you with enough to make loads of different drum sounds.

A lot of Jazz music also has sections where there are open drum sounds [drum solos, intro, outros...] so you could try that too.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Man this is an obsession I have had for awhile it seem crazy but I literally spend 2 hours a week looking for new drums off records, cds and mp3's.......and let me tell I think I have some of the most dopest drumkits......sometime I lose them in my mixes though...LOL.... and I have purchased my share of cds and kits from online spots too...but they cant just blatently sample some shit and sell it so the REALLY, Really good samples are not going to be on some retail kit. the have to process it or some other disguising technique.......could be, but I doubt.........let me save you some time....drum breaks and I mean the drum breaks that used be out on vinyl collections......thats were you will find some of the best hits in my opinion....

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
check out some FUNK not soul compilations, should be a couple of breaks on each comp...fucking yea....

i dont do this normally, but hey...

there is a rude but simple break, halfway through,"another brick in the wall" by the Floyd, just 2 bars but it is enuff

pz

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
I'd go with King on that one... funk... any funk album really. Since funk is about crazy breaks anyways...

James Brown is one...
earth, wind and fire, Otis, Curtis Mayfield...

but go on that link, it'll give you directions.. http://www.phatdrumloops.com/
(I like giving out freebies :))

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
check the archive on blaxploitation.com, they give great reviews on musical content on all soundtracks (they'll give an indication of a fat break on this or that track, or dope vocals, basses). If you find a review that fit's your preference you look up the producer and leech his shit from the net, or buy it from tyhe rekkidstore.

D

dj imperial

I personally dont see the point in sampling drums from mp3s but you can check these artists out...i have found some good drums from these artists.
Lou Rawls
James Brown
Kool & The Gang
Isaac Hayes
Roy Ayers
Salsoul Orchestra
Detroit Emeralds
Melvin Bliss
Also like Lex said just download popular drumbreaks and sample the drums.

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
quick question regarding sampling drums... is it only really possible to sample drums when there is a breakdown i.e. no other instruments playing over the top? or can you still sample drum hits by filtering and EQing out other sounds and still get decent results?

holla

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
N.U.G. said:
quick question regarding sampling drums... is it only really possible to sample drums when there is a breakdown i.e. no other instruments playing over the top? or can you still sample drum hits by filtering and EQing out other sounds and still get decent results?

holla

If the instrument isn't in the same spectrum, you could, but the quality sound would not be as good.. then again, it depends of what sound you want...

Example: recorder over a Kick.... possible, but then the kick will sound damped...

Also, sometimes, you can use the kick with the sound and use it to be part of the instruments and the percussion at the same time... but that's all up to the sound you wanna have... right?

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
Lex said:
Okay, since you don't have a record player I would suggest just downloading mp3s[or actually buying CDs] of tracks that you know have those played out breaks in them [James Brown's Funky Drummer etc] and just grabbing the open drum sounds.

When you have a few decent ones, you can EQ them and layer them with your existing drum sounds and that should provide you with enough to make loads of different drum sounds.

A lot of Jazz music also has sections where there are open drum sounds [drum solos, intro, outros...] so you could try that too.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
NOT AGAIN
NOT AGAIN FUNKY DRUMMER
DONT
JUST DONT

Check out old blues, some old rock and funk too,,, listen closely some real old shit got their drums panned so you can chop it easily.

Lex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
RigorMortis said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
NOT AGAIN
NOT AGAIN FUNKY DRUMMER
DONT
JUST DONT

Check out old blues, some old rock and funk too,,, listen closely some real old shit got their drums panned so you can chop it easily.

LOL, I'm not talking about looping the damn thing, I'd have a mental break down If I heard the bloody thing looped again.

I'm saying he should just get some played out funk tracks that are know to have breaks [i.e. open drum sounds] in them and chop the individual hits. I also specifically mentioned EQ and layering them with his existing drum sounds so they wouldn't sound the same but will still give the diritier sound required. Even without layering the drum sounds with any other hits and just EQing them, compressing them and adding effects you can quite easily make them sound completely different or even unrecognisable from the original break.

The other reason I said to use funk songs where there are already known to be breaks is because Cold Truth said he can't afford to buy a whole bunch of random CDs in the hope of finding a good hit or two.

....and I also pointed out you don't need to stick to funk either, I talked about how jazz music often has very nice open drum sounds.

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
Lex said:
LOL, I'm not talking about looping the damn thing, I'd have a mental break down If I heard the bloody thing looped again.
Word life son I will have that too.

Lex said:
I'm saying he should just get some played out funk tracks that are know to have breaks [i.e. open drum sounds] in them and chop the individual hits. I also specifically mentioned EQ and layering them with his existing drum sounds so they wouldn't sound the same but will still give the diritier sound required. Even without layering the drum sounds with any other hits and just EQing them, compressing them and adding effects you can quite easily make them sound completely different or even unrecognisable from the original break.

The other reason I said to use funk songs where there are already known to be breaks is because Cold Truth said he can't afford to buy a whole bunch of random CDs in the hope of finding a good hit or two.

....and I also pointed out you don't need to stick to funk either, I talked about how jazz music often has very nice open drum sounds.
i just quoted the whole thing, my previous reply was just about the funky drummer.

Lex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Fair enough man. I completely understand what you mean about using it...as I said, I'd probbaly have an embolism if I heard somone loop it.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Truth,

Id do like someone else said, and buy CDs instead then of stuff that might be good to sample since you dont have the record table....

I personally like Jazz Drummers the best and ive gotten some good hits in the past from those cats....(Sorry tho, i cant tell u which ones, im sure many others have already sampled what ive sampled, but maybe not too, so.....*Mouth Shut)

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
lol actually i came up on the motherload of breaks.... i got enough stuff to keep me very busy for a long time now......