eq'ing your beat in one track

D

drockrochester

whats the best way to go about eqing your beats if u record it all in to one track, or whuts the best program for me to use to track my beats out? much appreciated

*d-rock

rochester ny

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
Adobe Audition 3.0 is very user friendly, and I'd highly reccomend it before trying pro tools or any of the more advanced DAWs.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
Pro tools is the most user friendly DAW out there

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
I think its safe to say he was joking.

I wouldn't say Pro Tools is "hard" but def not in the category of user friendly.

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
whether pt is easy is off topic, but it is pretty simple and straight forward for those that overstand linear/sudio recording. maybe not if your first intro was via pattern-based recording or trackers. even the more advanced stuff is simple, but may take more steps. the only thing that could give pause was it's less than smart integration of midi and vst instruments. it's also not that expensive initially unless going the hd route and/or the regular stuff they charge extra for i.e. more but still limited track count for le/mp, mp3, omf, and some other stuff.

if your track is already a stereo file the option would be to have maybe 2 eq's one for surgical cuts, one for slight flavour and possible shelving and/or boosts/cuts, a transient designer would help if it contained some sampled elements, possibly a compressor for glue and flavour (having the track simultaneously run through another with a compressor a la parallel compression or upward compression would bring some punch and allow the original to remain untouched by a compressor directly), and something to control the pseudo stereo field ( i wouldn't suggest a mid/side matrix plug unless you know how to use it). this can be done in any daw

separating the various elements in a daw would be the better thing to do in the future, you could then group certain things together via bussing/aux/group routing, to make them mesh better i.e. drums, as well as simplifying everything.

the best app for you will be determined by your workflow and compatibility with what you're using to make beats right now. neither cubase or protools have demo's, but even the least expensive presonus interfaces/soundcards come with cubase 4 (don't remember which version type or if they'll soon come with cubase 5). sonar, reaper, abelton (i think), fl studio, and acid (i think) have demo's.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
whats the best way to go about eqing your beats if u record it all in to one track, or whuts the best program for me to use to track my beats out? much appreciated

*d-rock

rochester ny

This is essentially a mastering question.

- I generally advise newbies from getting the initial mix right, meaning that you mixed the separate multiple tracks in the correct way instead of attempting to apply notch eq or other methods of filtration/compression in order to correct issues that could have been corrected during the actual recording or in the mix.

- I also think it's wise not to boost or reduce any frequency band too much... since artifacts may occur. For example you can apply a narrow Q to surgically cut a specific tone, but reducing its gain too much then adds a different, and possibly unwanted color to the mix, since an application of some form of effect or filter on a final mix applies to the ENTIRE MIX and CHANGES THE ENTIRE SOUND if you don't know what you're doing.

- If you don't have proper monitors... and most people on this forum or who do this on a semi-professional level DO NOT HAVE A NEAR-FIELD AND FAR-FIELD setup to make a top-notch master. This does not mean that you shouldn't try, but be aware that A/B'ing near field and far field monitors, along with different speakers that can be A/B'ed with the mix to create a COMPROMISE of sound that sounds good across a wide platform of speakers is what matters.

I wish you all the best. If you have any more questions I can answer, don't hesitate to ask.

members online