Finding the notes to a sample....

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
i want to know how to do this primarily for bassline reasons. i hear alot of sampled records which have the bassline following the melody of the actual sample. i was wondering how producers do this? do they just get on the keys and find the right notes? or is there some kind of device which can do it??

thanx.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
^basically

ive used FL wit a keyboard as a midi controller....n just play the bassline as the sample plays....

definitely use of ear is clutch.....

Bosta

Hi Joka
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
yea.....and if u pitch shift or something its going to throw it all off.....sometimes it can get a bit tricky but with practice youll be able to replay the notes easily

pz

K.C

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Get to know a bass player to come in and replay it, their is also a device that converts .WAV to MIDI, do a search for it on the net

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
ive done that with goldwave... ^

i sampled "another day in paradise"

i took the hook and muffled it like 10 times.....actually turned into a sweet bassline

thats the only way ive done it.......make sure u use goldwave 4.26...and not 5.0...because it doesnt work as well

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
rite thanks, its gonna take alot longer than i first thought. if i pitch a sample down one note, will everything change?

sAfE.

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
coming sooN said:
ive done that with goldwave... ^

i sampled "another day in paradise"

i took the hook and muffled it like 10 times.....actually turned into a sweet bassline

thats the only way ive done it.......make sure u use goldwave 4.26...and not 5.0...because it doesnt work as well

I did that too once, but the bass sounded like a "ambient" sound, it didn't have that natural raw feel. But I did with Cool Edit. Was your bass all clean?

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
Rhythmikal said:
rite thanks, its gonna take alot longer than i first thought. if i pitch a sample down one note, will everything change?

sAfE.
yea get the sample to your chosen pitch first and then play your bassline ! and as for just filtering the sound you can do it but its more work imo and doesnt sound as good as a proper bassline most of the time !

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
MarkN said:
doesnt sound as good as a proper bassline most of the time !

yeh thats true. i like to have more control over my basslines aswell, and sampling takes that away.

sAfE.

MadManBeats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 6
if u wanna catch the bass by ear heres a trick i use....first make sure u catch the tempo and lay ur sample down the way u want....once thats official....use an EQ take out all the hi's and mid's... u can def hear the bass clearer this way...it helps me when i sample, so give that a shot its not 2 much work like fuckin with a sound till u turn it into a bass line, even tho that shit sounds like u can come up with a hot new bass sample......

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/6/maestroformadmanentertainmentmusic.htm
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/6/maestroformadmanentertainmentmusic.htm

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
yea another way i do it is too, play the bassline like 3 octaves higher so you can hear wot your playing much clearer over your sample then once u've recorded it just drop it down a few octaves and you got a dope bassline !

mr mello

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I use Acid pro to sequence. so what I do is I collect a whole lot of pure long bass notes, either I play them myself on my guitar or i sample them. The I listen to the (melody) sample a few times to find the bassline , then I reinforce it or make a bassline that complements it by taking the bass note and pitch shifting it and chopping it till it sounds right. It takes time but it works for me.

members online