Getting started

B

Bobby Peru

I'm new to producing and the only thing I have going for me right now is my motivation. Now, when I say new, I really mean new...
What I want to know is where I should start off? I need a book or article explaining producing terms before I can fully understand alot of the articles on the net, what do you recommend that I read?

Also, what magazines are worth buying?
I've been skipping through a copy of Computer Music but it seems like it has a very broad selection of readers. Any magazines out with a somewhat more hip-hop orientated approach?

thanks,

Bob

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Wassup and welcome to IllMuzik.

It seems that there are a lot of people in the same position as you. Getting started is hard to do, but it's also exciting.

The best thing for you to do is to decide exactly what it is you want to do with producing. Do you want to be the next superstar producer? Do you want to make beats for underground heads? Decide this first.

Then just read a lot. A lot. You can go around and ask everyone for advice on how to make a beat, but there's only so much they can tell you. The best way to learn is on your own by practicing. No one ever showed me how to do any of this stuff. Same thing when I started DJ'ing, I learned it all my own, I didn't ask for any help.

Since you're just starting out, this is the right place. IllMuzik was basically made for people like you that are just getting into this game. It's also for those that have been doing this for years too. Browse around this site and soak up all the info. Then I would recommend going to the bookstore and getting a book on how to record at home. Something simple, not complex.

Nowadays there's so many options available to someone like you, it's hard to choose. I understand, but you must pick your spots carefully.

Also, notice how I haven't mentioned anything about equipment yet. Don't jump into there like everyone else and get an MPC or a ASR. Just because everyone else uses a certain piece of gear, doesn't mean it's for you. You might be just as comfortable with just a drum machine and a small sampler.

Once you've read a lot about producing and sound, then start looking into equipment and software, etc. You can start messing around with some software programs right now but don't get ahead of yourself. Just slowly get into this. The reason why is because if you rush into everything, you might realize after a few months that producing/beatmaking is not for you. And at that point you might have a few thousands of dollars of equipment lying around collecting dust = money wasted.

Just think it through and read a lot. Ask questions, but don't expect help unless you're willing to help yourself.

peez,

DJ Fade

B

Bobby Peru

Thanks for the quick reply!

I've been reading the articles on your site which were very useful, if a bit short... I liked the way you explained things in the fruity loops article, I just wish you would follow it up with an longer article, still just explaining the features of the program without digging too deep(?)

anyways, I'll be following this site from now on...

bob

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Actually it's not me that did the Fruity Loops article. But I think most of it is related to the Fruity Loops manual.

If you need any more help, let me know.

members online