Hardware Synths

OriginalNoGuru

Struggles of Dad - by OldBones - due Dec 2016
How many of you use hardware synths?

Until recently, all my stuff was very, very sample based, I bought a Korg Volca Keys a while back but never really got into it.
I Dec I won an analog synth in a comp and it sounds great. I bought the Novation Circuit just after Christmas (sold the Volca) and right now it's my favourite thing I've had it sequence the Erebus and I'm using Circuit in pretty much everything I do!
Now I'm thinking about picking up my synths/grooveboxes.

Never been into twisting 'virtual' knobs with a mouse (or even my controller) but working with actual hardware is so fun and so quick to get something going!

So, how many of you are using hardware synths or grooveboxes and are there any you'd particularly recommend?

*D*

Beatmaker
I play guitar and bass so having something physical in front of me is essential. Although playing virtual synthesizers that have a physical box is the same thing as playing software, I do enjoy tweaking knobs and keys.

Analog gear is what I really like to use. Not because it's popular or there is a lot of money spent into these devices, for me it really does sound good. I don't limit myself just to analog synths and drum machines, I use analog guitar pedals also. Plugging a synthesizer into a guitar pedal can create some really cool sounds.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
You know software for amp sims is soooo good these days I will either use software or a real amp, no need for any hardware emulators. Maybe the fractal audio stuff. But look at BIAS or Amplitude 4 or Eleven for Pro tools. But Sgear is the best one out right now.

*D*

Beatmaker
You know software for amp sims is soooo good these days I will either use software or a real amp, no need for any hardware emulators. Maybe the fractal audio stuff. But look at BIAS or Amplitude 4 or Eleven for Pro tools. But Sgear is the best one out right now.

Nice! I haven't dug too deep into software for my guitar yet. I just got a peavey 6505 MH in the mail yesterday though!:D

Hadoq

Producing weird shit since 2002
I hear software stuff is good, I've always been a hardware guy, but as I recently had to rebuild my studio from scratch, I first began with software stuff. And as before, I really didn't like it at all. Once you go hardware, you really can't go back.

Because a synth is not about its algorithms or waveforms, it's also about the instrument itself, each synth feels different, the keyboard, the knobs, the size, the limitations. I don't think making music is all about the end result, for me, the instrument is an important part of my inspiration, I won't compose the same music on a vanilla master keyboard and a rhodes plugin, than I'll do on an actual fender rhodes. The weight of the keys, the slight detune of the tines, the feel of it all is an experience in itself, and as all experiences, they shape our inspiration.

Virtual analogs are already a great step up from VST synths, but true analogs are where it's at. 10 years ago, they were rare, complicated and expensive, but now they've released them all again with full built in midi and/or usb capabilities, for the most part, for fairly cheap (you can get a brand new, midi, usb, korg ms20 for about 600 bucks)

VST may end up sounding just as well (I don't think they ever will but that's my opinion and I could be wrong), but they'll never *feel* like a real instrument to me, I just can not create any good music on a full virtual setup.
And I applaud those who can, because I've tried and failed many, many times.
It's true, I've heard amazing music done exclusively on VSTs, a good friend of mine would never buy a hard synth if his life depended on it, and he's one of the most talented musician I know.

But I'm oldschool and fairly broke, so when I see that I get buy a genuine moog, with full midi capabilities and modular patch bay for less than a thousand bucks, I'm buying it.
it's part of my process, I need to touch, feel, hold, sculpt and create sounds with my hands. I wouldn't have it any other way.

And honestly, I don't see emulations being as good sounding as true analogs, not by a long shot.
but then again, it hasn't stopped other musicians to do great music

Reactions: *D*

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
And honestly, I don't see emulations being as good sounding as true analogs, not by a long shot.
but then again, it hasn't stopped other musicians to do great music

Oh man, I would challenge you to listen to Monark by NI this thing has caused a whole bunch of Moog guys to sell their hardware synths. It's dead on. Here is synth pioneer Jean Michel Jarre talking about how perfect Monark is

Also Diva, hands down sounds just as good as hardware, and I would argue that software like Omnisphere sounds better than hardware EVER could.

and the Sgear plugin sounds like a real guitar amp, there is no way you could tell the difference by ear. I get that you want the knobs on hardware that's completely valid. But software sounds just as good as analog synths and in many cases MUCH better.

Hadoq

Well, I have tried both
one could argue with a proper studio setup behind, it would be hard to tell the difference, especially once everything is mixed.
but you're not reading me right, to me it's, of course about the sound, but also about the feel, a mouse and a lambda master keyboard are not inspiring at all to me, I've tried, numerous times, and failed to do any sort of music using those.

I'm a fan of Jarre since the 80s, his music and approach heavily influenced me, and you could probably tell by my music. But I'm not convinced at all by his latest works. I'm not saying it's about the soft vs hardware.

To me, and this is a very important part, to me, it's all about the process of creating music, feeling different instruments drive my inspiration throughout the composing of a given track, it's all about using my hands on different keyboards, knobs, controllers. Each instrument is unique.

And about the sound, it's not really hard to compare at home, I've done this a long time ago, and again recently, to me, sound wise, there is no comparison. Jarre can say whatever he wants, he still has walls full of modulars, vintage and also newer keyboards and he's not getting rid of them.

I could also challenge you to get some moog, prophet and compare them to their virtual counterparts in your home studio. if I get the time, I can probably do a side by side recording of an analog vs its vst counterpart, same treatment, same mix.

you can not ever reproduce the uniqueness of any given synth, in their way, they're all different, even between the same series.

You can take the majority of known producers and artists, they all have analogs, I'm not saying they're not using virtuals also.

Hardware is not only about the sound, it's also about the journey, the experience, the relationship between the gear and the self.

you can also listen to my tracks, you can tell on the oldest ones I was all vsts, then I went with a virtual analog, the sound got noticeably fatter, then I got my MS 20 and began using it for basslines and leads, the sound got much bigger and also the style slightly changed. it's actually easy to tell.

I'm not trying to convince anyone, each to his own, especially when it comes to creativity, you don't have to believe me or agree with me, I trust in my experience and my own ears. And we all experience the world in our own way, it's ok to disagree as there is no "right way" to create art. it's just one person expressing oneself in the most pure and honest way possible, ideally.

since you posted an interesting vid, let me post one of my own, it's far from hip hop, but it depicts how one's hardware becomes a complete and central part of the creative process, inducing a great deal of, if you let it, randomness.
it's all about the relationship, at some points, it's not even about the music anymore, it's just the ability to craft raw sound with your hands, manipulating sliders, knobs, faders, patching cables. it has this transcendental aspect to it, with the right gear, it just clicks, but sometimes, you have to work to build the relationship and it has its own rewards, each synth in its very unique way. It's all about the process.

I also love the fact that in many analogs, you don't have user patches, or even factory patches, you can not recall a sound you made a couple days ago, so there's also this learning curve that goes on about synthesis, you have to truly understand everything that's going on with any of the controls if you want to be able to recreate a given sound. it's challenging and rewarding, because then you can use this in other areas.

It's ok if, to you, it's all about vst, it really is, but for me, I wouldn't have it any other way, and I truly believe my own music is good enough that way, it is for me at least. And to me, that's all that matters. I do my music primarily for myself and those who enjoy it as it is. they don't really care about how it's done, most of them wouldn't understand a word of our conversation anyway. the only person who truly cares is myself, and I'm fine the way I do my music, thankfully.

Hadoq

it obviously is, it's just that I can't seem to find it. but yea, the best producers out there can surely squeeze every bit of phat from anything, and with all the post processing, soft or hard available, soft are, quality wise a viable solution.

maybe because I don't know how to use much post processing or mixing, really, the fat sound is easier there for me in analogs, I don't know. and I don't really care that much really, to be honest.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
HAHA! Yes, its far better to make music then discuss all this.

What about Jarre's new stuff don't you like? His last few records I have enjoyed a lot, but they don't seem like they are pushing the limits anymore. I would love to hear your thoughts on them.

Hadoq

you got it right, for me he's not that innovative musician anymore. The times also have changed, others have been on his steps, and some went much further. It's not bad music, but it doesn't sound like "hunger" anymore.

I've gone through a few short documentaries about modular synthesis (which is what I'm leaning towards learning nowadays), they really depict some of the reasons why I'm into hardware synths.

TjombaBeats

Mister Miyagi Beats
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 151
I have the Dave Smith Mopho Synth love it. But software synths aren't bad. But there's something about hardware synths that makes the sound more natural than software synths. Both are great tho but i really like hardware synths only they are most of the time expensive..

Hadoq

I've just watched the "I dream of wires" documentary, mindblowing, it's about he history of modular synthesis from its birth up to today with the eurorack standard and affordable modules.

it's on netflix and for like a few bucks on youtube (you can also find it in other places...)

it's spot on for me, again, how the instrument itself shapes the inspiration by moving boundaries and paradigms. a computer never felt like an instrument to me, neither do these standardized controllers, built to sell for the most part.

I wish I could detach myself from that as it's a handicap and an expensive journey, and obviously many are able to create perfectly awesome music using only software. But I'm ok with that, it's exciting, with each new piece of gear comes new possibilities, new ideas, new opportunities and in the end, new music.

to me, sound "quality" is not the penultimate bottom line, as it's a subjective matter, music quality is the bottom line, and it's how to get there that gets me excited, inspired. the unknown, the unpredictable, the glitch, the "touch of god" in many ways, the mind that goes through the matter, and back into the listener's mind, the link. And the gear symbolises that link, it's something that can be touched, looked at, appreciated, felt, desired, it's the expectation, opening the box, plugging it in for the fist time, manipulating the filter for the first time, this connection between your mind, then your hand, then your hear, then your mind again, all through your very soul.

the experience, I want to know what it feels like to have a wall full of modules, dozens of hanging patch cables, press that controller and hear an unenglishable sound tear through my monitors.
I want to experience this, then shape the sound according to what goes on into my heart at that time.

I can never get that with a software I got off torrent while watching cats on facebook at 100mb/s. Making music is a ritual, with its trinkets, dogmas, prayers and penitences, and a huge wall of knobs, dials and patch cables looks about right for one who means to create whole universes through music. it kinda feels like being god of your own universe.

sorry, I got carried away, didn't mean to write that much

anyway, much love <3, there's no right or wrong way to do music, we all have our own journey to be grateful about. the important thing is that we remember to be grateful to live in a day and age when we have so much possibilities at our hand.
and now it's up to us, we must make it count, use this opportunity to scream our souls out to the world and make meaningful music, not "products", real music. because we're lucky enough that we can actually do it so easily and in so many different ways.

just make it count, that's the *only* thing that truly matters, and the only, really, we should care about.

Hadoq

i've been lusting after a moog mother 32 lately.

I'm getting mine monday, I can't wait. They seem to be excellent as a standalone synth for bassline and leads, but they also seem to be one of the very best, if not the best entry to modular synthesis.

what I like is that eurorack modules are affordable, all in the $50 $600 range and they introduce a new way to think and approach music. I'm very very excited.
don't hesitate to ask me questions. If I had to do it again, I would have got a mother 32 before the ms20