How did you start making beats ?

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
Nah but seriously:

I decided to get into beat making because at the time I was a battle DJ and I always loved music and the music side of music. I always wanted to figure out how those beats were made and what they used. I read tons of magazines and some books about audio engineering then even took some courses on it.

Then once I had some money saved up I got a Roland R70 drum machine, Akai S20, computer, Yamaha keyboard, etc. Not all at once but over time. I read all the manuals and got busy. It was so much fun figuring that stuff out then I ended up getting Cakewalk Pro Audio and made beats with that too, which led me down the path of software beat making. Over the years I've changed DAWs, editors, workflow, hardware, and now I'm loving my MPC 2500.

It's an ongoing process!

So the dead guy story? true or not?

crosstevsky

beats architect
Battle Points: 127
Nah but seriously:

I decided to get into beat making because at the time I was a battle DJ and I always loved music and the music side of music. I always wanted to figure out how those beats were made and what they used. I read tons of magazines and some books about audio engineering then even took some courses on it.

Then once I had some money saved up I got a Roland R70 drum machine, Akai S20, computer, Yamaha keyboard, etc. Not all at once but over time. I read all the manuals and got busy. It was so much fun figuring that stuff out then I ended up getting Cakewalk Pro Audio and made beats with that too, which led me down the path of software beat making. Over the years I've changed DAWs, editors, workflow, hardware, and now I'm loving my MPC 2500.

It's an ongoing process!
the music side of music?!?

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
@Fade So you haven't been through the dead guy's pockets?
You haven't been to the mysterious storage/locker thing with the hood and the shades?
You haven't insulted your uncle?
You haven't been jumpscared by a fuckin' cat?
So the question remains :

If it was to happen, what would you do?
Would you show any moral values at all? Or would you rather grab the gear and let the poor guy bleeding on the pavement?

Last edited:

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
the music side of music?!?
Yes!
@Fade So you haven't been through the dead guy's pockets?
You haven't been to the mysterious storage/locker thing with the hood and the shades?
You haven't insulted your uncle?
You haven't been jumpscared by a fuckin' cat?
So the question remains :

If it was to happen, what would you do?
Would you show any moral values at all? Or would you rather grab the gear and let the poor guy bleeding on the pavement?
But it did happen. It's a true story. I still have the newspaper clippings.

IN THE STORAGE LOCKER.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Self taught

Bought some hiphop ejay thing. Stupid but was fun. I had most fun when found it's step sequencer and was able to program drums - literally just listened to a record and reverse engineered it.

Friend DL'd Fruity Loops on his pc... immediately i chopped up some kungfu samples and had a really RZA Wu beat thing going on... would burn to cd and listen on my stereo - was sick!
Figure Fruity Loops was some dud toy so...

Bought a cheap Cubase, started reverse engineering Dr Dre tracks and it really taught me the fundamentals of patterns and arrangements.

Then went through a phase of acquired Cubase / Sonar /whatever worked once had internet to obtain them and a variety of vsts and plugins. During this time I was using an AUX cable from my pc to my stereo

Then came the 2 biggest game changers for me;
- buying a pair of monitors
- midi keyboard !!!

Yooo, getting keyboard was the biggest factor for me.

No longer was i having music ideas in my head that ended up getting lost when trying to draw them in and by that point hearinf them back I've lost the original idea.
It also allowed me to play with rhythm better, because even if you can't "play" you can tap in rhythm and put your ideas across better. Allowed me to start playing chords or melodies without drawing them in.
It gave my music LIFE.

Then it was just about progress from there.

Music theory; learning this is a gift and a curse....
You start to learn these "rules" and concepts, and you start applying them to your music, and it allows you to take a much more deliberate approach - you know what you're doing!
This comes with a downside tho, music is a language and learning a language takes tiiime before you're fluent with it.
So this mean at the beginning, you can become hindered by what you know - you have rules now, but a very small set, and you can only really work within that. So you convo is small.
There came a point i compared all my early stuff to the stuff since i started learninf theory - yeah my new stuff probably sounded more "proper" but it realllly lacked comparatively in creativity; my early ideas were just so wild and good and free.

So when it comes to theory, you have to learn that shit anr *forget* that shit. You need to find a way during it to be free. Play and create freely, disregard the rules but then use them to contain and refine the creativity.

Blahblahblah a bunch of other shit and here I am, still a lot more to learn a lot more to obtain, but we keep going.

members online