How do you do your melodies, chords, and chord progressions?

mod_m@tr!xx

Beatmaker
Hello my fellow beatmakers and producers, when it comes down to do some beats and get started how do most of you do your melodies and chords ? Do you guys actually play an instrument or program ? I am wanting to learn more on doing this process and any info would help on how to do this. I usually just start with some random stuff that sounds good but i want more professional way to do it for now on. Also i know this follows music theory for the most part so what forum, article or book would be good for music theory?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Good question. Sometimes I just play whatever sounds good by ear. For example, I'll hit three keys on the keyboard and move around from there.

But since Maschine 2.0, I find it's much simpler now because they have the preset chords already in there, which is a HUGE difference. The reason why is because it makes it easy (almost too easy) to make a nice melody. But on the other hand, it's also teaching me more about notes and chords.

mod_m@tr!xx

Beatmaker
Good question. Sometimes I just play whatever sounds good by ear. For example, I'll hit three keys on the keyboard and move around from there.

But since Maschine 2.0, I find it's much simpler now because they have the preset chords already in there, which is a HUGE difference. The reason why is because it makes it easy (almost too easy) to make a nice melody. But on the other hand, it's also teaching me more about notes and chords.

I really really want to improve and develop my sound, I want to get a maschine soon even though nowadays everyone uses it but its just a good handy tool to have.I know a lot of producers and beatmakers actually can play some sort of instrument which helps alot but for those who cant some music theory knowledge is a key. I think programming it with mouse takes a lot of time nothing wrong with that but when you have all these ideas that just keep popping in, that maschine would come into play for that fast workflow. I just went to the school library to get some music theory books to come soon next week, which i am currently majoring in music recording arts and live sound.

crog85

Back to the Grind...
Battle Points: 815
I play out all the chord progressions... Sometimes I work the chords out on guitar, then transpose them to the keys or sometimes only keys... It really depends on how I'm feeling. If you dont know anything about music theory... Just try to learn about triads. That will help u soooo much with playing chords.

Basically all major and minor chords are made up of 3 notes... Once u have that down, you can start adding other notes to the chords to give them some extra flavor, or u could invert so of the notes of the chord to get different sounds. It obviously gets a lot more complex than that... but triads, for me, was a great place to start.

mod_m@tr!xx

Beatmaker
I play out all the chord progressions... Sometimes I work the chords out on guitar, then transpose them to the keys or sometimes only keys... It really depends on how I'm feeling. If you dont know anything about music theory... Just try to learn about triads. That will help u soooo much with playing chords.

Basically all major and minor chords are made up of 3 notes... Once u have that down, you can start adding other notes to the chords to give them some extra flavor, or u could invert so of the notes of the chord to get different sounds. It obviously gets a lot more complex than that... but triads, for me, was a great place to start.

Sounds like a good start, most of the time since i program the chords its usually 3 noted chords but seems boring to me with only being 3 notes in a chord and randomizing the next chord by sound and would want to expand that to chords that fit together and make it more interesting for the listener also.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Well that's the thing - if you go by ear and then just build it up. So you could start with three notes - record that. Then record the next part, etc. I'm sure you've done that already. But it really comes down to that. To learn theory though, I would learn what notes you're playing and take it from there, like the Maschine feature I mentioned.

mod_m@tr!xx

Beatmaker
Another thing is, I hear a lot of beats and productions and i always think the same thing everytime that "i want to be better" or at least catch to their level I'm not even at a comparable level yet, though my sound is different i prefer more of a chillout, ride and listen to this type music. But i think i should start with this process of chords and melodies. I have been analying drums and worked on getting my drum patterns down and then the hi-hats which i recently think i have a down to, now its just the harmonics parts (chord progressions, constructing chords, and melodies) another thing i think I need is better sounds or should i say AU/VST plugins i use splice to get most of my drum sounds and some loops but i dont want to use loops much anymore i want to do my own music and i have mainly some free vsts and au's which wont cut it to progress but a start.

mod_m@tr!xx

Beatmaker
Well that's the thing - if you go by ear and then just build it up. So you could start with three notes - record that. Then record the next part, etc. I'm sure you've done that already. But it really comes down to that. To learn theory though, I would learn what notes you're playing and take it from there, like the Maschine feature I mentioned.

True I never really thought about learning what chords im using which would help for further steps and i will be doing this from now on.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
It could also be that you're just getting ahead of yourself. I've mentioned quite a few times on the AOTB show that it's best to start with something really minimal and then worry about chords, melodies and all that later on. As you said about analysing famous songs - that's a good thing to do but to an extent.

I think if you just work on perfecting some basic things like the drums or bass, the rest is not hard (as long as you have good sounds or samples to work with). For example, your drum pattern could be a simple 4/4: kick-snare kick-kick-snare and the hats all throughout. Then pick it apart later on and do some other things.

A quick tip to spice up the drums though: add a VERY slight delay to your drums (not all the time though). It can make a huge difference.

mod_m@tr!xx

Beatmaker
It could also be that you're just getting ahead of yourself. I've mentioned quite a few times on the AOTB show that it's best to start with something really minimal and then worry about chords, melodies and all that later on. As you said about analysing famous songs - that's a good thing to do but to an extent.

I think if you just work on perfecting some basic things like the drums or bass, the rest is not hard (as long as you have good sounds or samples to work with). For example, your drum pattern could be a simple 4/4: kick-snare kick-kick-snare and the hats all throughout. Then pick it apart later on and do some other things.

A quick tip to spice up the drums though: add a VERY slight delay to your drums (not all the time though). It can make a huge difference.

Any good place to get great sounds? VST/AU?

crog85

Back to the Grind...
Battle Points: 815
another thing i think I need is better sounds or should i say AU/VST plugins i use splice to get most of my drum sounds and some loops but i dont want to use loops much anymore i want to do my own music and i have mainly some free vsts and au's which wont cut it to progress but a start.

Not necessarily true... I know many people would disagree, but if you create good melodies and good chord progressions, u don't need the best vsts... I use mainly free/stock vsts myself... After some fx and eqing, some of those free/stock vsts can sound pretty decent...

it's best to start with something really minimal and then worry about chords, melodies and all that later on.

Not necessarily true either... Everyone has their own method when it comes to making beats. I do hear a lot of people start with drums, but I don't like to go that route... From time to time, yes, I will start with drums, but 9 times outta 10 I start with a melody or chord progression. I try to get a catchy melody/progression down that sounds good and has rhythm without any drums, then build from that... just my 2 cents

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Any good place to get great sounds? VST/AU?
If you're looking for free, maybe this list can help. For paid, anything popular really. What do you have right now?

@crog85 I know what you're saying but what I meant was not to start with drums for the track, but rather when it comes to learning stuff, like for someone starting out. The reason why I say that is because in the past I've heard guys that were really good at playing the piano because that was their background with years of piano lessons, but that's all they were good at. The rest of their beat was subpar.

mod_m@tr!xx

Beatmaker
If you're looking for free, maybe this list can help. For paid, anything popular really. What do you have right now?

@crog85 I know what you're saying but what I meant was not to start with drums for the track, but rather when it comes to learning stuff, like for someone starting out. The reason why I say that is because in the past I've heard guys that were really good at playing the piano because that was their background with years of piano lessons, but that's all they were good at. The rest of their beat was subpar.

Currently I use some sounds i bought from Splice mainly some drums sounds i buy from there i either drag them to Logics Exs24 and play around with it or go to ultrabeat and program a start pattern, I have 99sounds clap machine, kick maker by teragon audio, u-he zebrelette, and session drums and synth leads from sonivox. I am starting to use pro tools a little to get into the groove of that but also have ableton and a launchpad (which i got from a friend who wants to help me go further and support) but dont use it because it wasnt as user friendly for me when i started but i heard its a great add on if yo know how to use it.

Last edited:

EsquireMusic111

Head of Production/Trilogy Sound Studios
Battle Points: 122
In terms of chord progression, even with the play by ear method, it always helps to dive into the music theory to grasp the basics. I do know that now Reason offers a chord and scale progression plug-in to automatically map out the chord you hear in your mind. But there are some experienced producers out that don't agree with that method, stating that it makes the producer out to be lazy... I actually enjoy the new feature....

mod_m@tr!xx

Beatmaker
In terms of chord progression, even with the play by ear method, it always helps to dive into the music theory to grasp the basics. I do know that now Reason offers a chord and scale progression plug-in to automatically map out the chord you hear in your mind. But there are some experienced producers out that don't agree with that method, stating that it makes the producer out to be lazy... I actually enjoy the new feature....

I agree with the laziness but whatever gets the job done. But I am (starting today) getting more into music theory and chord theory now since i have access to a huge library selection because of school now, i checked out some books to help get me started.

members online