How do you make your bassline?

A

ApolloMusic

I found that I really struggle with my basslines and most times they sound boring.
So, what's your technique in creating a bassline? What determines your choice of sound and notes?
Do you play the notes in your chord progression or do you just make simple 2-3 notes melodies?
I'm really curious how you guys do it

A

ApolloMusic

Now that's a good one, never thought about filtering. Thanks!

Mike Chief

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
For me, experimenting with different types of bass was the way to go. i would just continually cycle through different types of bass sounds, seeing what melodies I can come up with, and then relate that back to how my drums sound. Get all types of different bass sounds. Also, if you find one you kind of like, but if its not hittin the way you want, dont fear adjusting ADS or R

OriginalNoGuru

Struggles of Dad - by OldBones - due Dec 2016
I try to take a bass note out of the sample I'm working and un-choke it from the rest of the chops (so it can be played in keyboard mode 'behind' the rest of the flip without being choked by; or choking any other sample) and EQ & compress it accordingly. But sometimes I'll lay down a lick on the bass guitar through an old Line-6 Pod.

TACTIK

The most unique producer on here
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 527
Sub bass always sounds dope. My favorite way is to use the Lo-End frequency of a sample. In Ableton I would first use the 8 Track EQ. If that wasnt enough I would adjust more with the Auto Filter. Now I'm using a Mid adjuster in an Audio Effects Rack to give it everything it needs.

*D*

Beatmaker
I pick up my bass and jam lol. That's the first thing I go for, however I use a program called tux guitar. It's a tabbing program, I'll write out my bassline in a tab format then convert it to midi. Then play around sounds from there.

Dan Shure

Two ways usually.

1. I play it 'live' on the keyboard. I really like the 'hyperbottom' patch in Reason as a starter, and then I adjust a little.

2. For synth-like bass (like trap stuff, which I'm just getting into) I copy/paste the bass drum pattern (which is usually played 'live') and paste it into the bass part and then adjust the notes but keeping the same exact attacks.

In terms of choosing notes. Bass is REALLY super interesting (I think) when it sorta weaves in and out of the different parts. Like it matches with the chords for a few beats (slower notes), and then might mimic the melody or another rhythmic part, and then line up with the bass drum. I personally think bass is the most interesting and exciting part about hip-hop!

*D*

Beatmaker
Two ways usually.

1. I play it 'live' on the keyboard. I really like the 'hyperbottom' patch in Reason as a starter, and then I adjust a little.

2. For synth-like bass (like trap stuff, which I'm just getting into) I copy/paste the bass drum pattern (which is usually played 'live') and paste it into the bass part and then adjust the notes but keeping the same exact attacks.

In terms of choosing notes. Bass is REALLY super interesting (I think) when it sorta weaves in and out of the different parts. Like it matches with the chords for a few beats (slower notes), and then might mimic the melody or another rhythmic part, and then line up with the bass drum. I personally think bass is the most interesting and exciting part about hip-hop!

I gotta try that. Using the drum parts in the bass sections. Also I read up on tuning the drums to the same key as everything else. Tried that with my yamaha MR10 and a acoustic guitar. Brings an interesting light.

members online