How do you normally start your beats?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
What do you first lay down when starting a beat?
And are you looking to change it and start with something else?

I normally start with my drums but I like to also change it up and start with something else, especially the bassline since it's more of a challenge.

OriginalNoGuru

Struggles of Dad - by OldBones - due Dec 2016
I start with by listening to records until I find a sample I think I can do something with.
Slam it into Maschine, truncate it, decide whether I want to speed it up, slow it down or pitch it up in the stretch; apply that decision and then start chopping it up.

Once I have the sample chopped up (and set polyphony and choke groups) I usually have an idea for the flip.

At this point I ignore the sample completely and pull a kit together.
Select sounds - layer up and then do a pretty basic 2 to for bar loop. Kick, snare hats.

Back to sample - lay down the first flip.
Edit/redo drums.
Add bass, keys or anything else.

Back to (using the drums I have) the sample to work out a second flip...

Rinse and repeat...

OriginalNoGuru

90% of the time i lay down the drums. the other 10% some piano chords. i don't sample a lot though. i'm trying to get into sampling more.

I reckon this is normal...

Sometimes it's really difficult to write (compose) around a sample but often if I try to do a track without a using a sample it'll sound just like the last track I did without a sample...
Sampling definitely gets me set on the way I play another instrument in

OriginalNoGuru

Drums, always drums.

Without having a sample or melody in mind?!

Dude that's some xenophobic shit right there!

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Well, I might listen to records beforehand, but I like to lay out something simple drum wise to get an approximation, then mix up the sample and adjust the drum pattern afterwards.

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
i always go into the lab sorta knowing what i want to do nowadays, so i wil start with whatever fits the theme best... if its on a wonky tip, usually the drums as everything else is gunna get mega squashed in with that so best to set the groove up first then elaborate on that with ish... if its gunna be a dark beat, maybe ill start with a pad or some strings/chords then vibe everthing from that mood... or if we are talking straight up bangers, would prob start with a bass line.... all depends really... if im going in blind, might start with a sample and see what happens, but ill usually dig a sample out in the style of what my first idea was...

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I used to always start with the drums but then sometimes I'd end up just locked in, if you know what I mean. So by starting with the sample, I find it opens things up and allows me to be a bit more creative.

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
yea man, nothing worse than getting locked into a drum loop and not knowing where to go from there... you need something melodic or textural to get the juices flowing ....

OriginalNoGuru

i always go into the lab sorta knowing what i want to do nowadays

I got a 6 month old baby in the house... I HAVE to know what I want to do nowadays!!
Ha!
At the very least I have to go in focused. The amount of time I used to spend just messing about while making beats just isn't there now.

Sometimes I have like a half hour to just do something so I started playing little games like 'Drop the Needle'.

Literally grab the first record your hand touches; put it on the turntable; press record; randomly drop the needle; count the closest 8 bars to where you dropped it and make a beat in that half hour out of whatever you get!

It's a pretty good exercise. Forces you to be creative and to be creative quickly.

Def Starz

Usually i start with a chord progression or if it's sampled, then i start with chopping up the sample. Figuring out all the parts that i want to use and how i want to use them. Then i move on to the drums etc. Most importantly, 90% of the time i have a clear vision where i want to go with the beat/song before i even start working on it. The feeling i want to spark in people when listening to it. It's all in my head. From the type of sounds i'm going to use (cold, warm, plucked, slow attack with delay etc.) to the style of drums (are they going to be old school, trap, live drums, some weird mixture). I think this helps me be more focused and stops me from adding too much stuff, which was one of the problems i had early on. Also it allows me to make beats when i'm not in the studio. I think some of you should try this approach. For example when you are waiting in line, driving around , pretending to listen to your girl etc. Write everything down in short hints and when you get home, just put that fire to life.

How dyou know what to sample? Like I know you have to just look around for what sounds good but how do you pick an era and how do you know what genre to explore first? I want to start sampling more because its a necessary evil to the creation of good music now a days.
I wouldn't call it evil nor is it a necessity. I'm not primarily a sampled based producer, but i love to do it from time to time. Especially on rainy days lol. The joy of sampling is actually finding something rare and flipping it your way, it's a whole process of searching for the right sample that's the best part IMO. Just be open minded when listening and you'll find something worth sampling in every song. Just pick a genre of music you want to sample and the era, you can even do it randomly. If you still don't know what to sample, try with some blues from 70's.

Last edited by a moderator:

OriginalNoGuru

How dyou know what to sample? Like I know you have to just look around for what sounds good but how do you pick an era and how do you know what genre to explore first? I want to start sampling more because its a necessary evil to the creation of good music now a days.
Personally, I walk into the record shop and head straight to 'soul' section... My local shop has a mixed 'funk/soul' crate I go for soul over funk (I find a lot of funk stuff difficult to do anything with) then move to the Jazz section looking generally for pianos, horns, incredible drummers (decent jazz drummer records tend to be very expensive; the shops know we want them) maybe sax... From jazz I go to the world music bin (some great finds if you're willing to risk it)
Then I go rock. I avoid the 80's. I avoid 50's.
60's & 70's rock can be really cool and the more 'prog' the better.

OriginalNoGuru

There's also certain labels that if I see I buy... Almost risk free that there'll be fire on there...

Spuntastic

cinephile/beatmaker
Battle Points: 82
Always starting with the sample. If I have a straight idea, I chop it and arrange my first routine. Then drums, looking for hats, snare and kick, drop them onto the Pads of the MPK and play them live. Layer drums until I have the sound I want and back to the sample recording another routine/bridge/etc. Usually bass comes late in the process.

Last edited:

TRAXBYDATON

I start my Beats w a diff approach almost every time. I might take a sec. of a sample or a vinyl hiss. It's never the same. It could b a drum loop or using a diff platform or machine. I have Fl Studio, Pro Tools, Reason, Beat Thang Drum Machine and various keyboards I've collected from the Fantom to Motif. I think that and a ton of Vst Plug Ins should allow u to approach a track a ton of ways. Change of BPM or incorporating a Live Element like bass or horns could also allow for diff patterns and rhythms. Jamming music like 70's soul or some breakbeats also can start a fire for ur Beats. Start w a clap or sample etc. As long as u r having fun and creating do ur thing. The truth is there is no wrong or right way.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    609.5 KB · Views: 254

hezekiah

For me, since I am a keyboardist I like to start with the most difficult part which is the keys and chords.I like a jazzy Neo Soul type track so I start there with the chords. From the root of the chords you can work out a bassline, then add the drums and go from there basically.
My website has a good selection of chords to download.

members online