How long does it take for Production on a Track

BeatAssassin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I wanted to know what the average time or turn around for production on a track that being produce by you guys. When I do a track it ususal depends on what style I'm doing. Normal it take me 1 to 3 hr for the basic of the beats. Another 2 for arrangment. I do about 3 to 4 different ones. The recording a mixing can take anywhere for 1 to 3 days R&B but emcees a day. if they know there lyrics off top. I feel better when they know there lyrics already becuase it help with the performance(Dynamics and Emotion). The mastering a day or two. All togehter it could take a week or so. I just wanted to get a feel for your work ethics on tracks.

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
depends for me, some of the best tracks i have ever made3 have been made in 2hrs tops....i made a sicko dnb tune the other day in 90mins!!!! so it depends, a week sounds like a long time my friend, my mantra, "practice makes perfect" so bang em out quick and learn from you mistakes, and the work flow will come very quickly after you have developed your style...

a week for an RNB track!!!! fuck me, a week to produce some wack shit (i havent listened to yours i talking generally, as i hate watered down urban TOSS, watered down with runny shit, watered down with sick, watered down with rotten cows blood, finished by watering down with the sweat that collects near steven hawkings knob) - i needed a rant, hehe (igonre the later part of this msg - good luck to you my sprouty european neighbour

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
the most simplistic beats dont take that much time if you have a concept, it should be proof of how some of these cats with their videos make a hot joint on the fly, but you know a lot of times thats all staged, but for real you already know sometimes even your own creativity can catch you off guard and you could put a hot joint thats finished together in 15 or 20 minutes or at least the foundation...but some people take longer...I think a beat on demand....like what might be asked at some point if you plan on really working the industry side of things, should be from the time that the emcee or manager goes "can you make me a beat like" or along the lines of this...etc...and yes its the reality...a couple hours....it shouldnt take days or weeks like a Dr. Dre, who nowadays can do that...my old biz partner was signed in house to a BIG label and yes they had quotas on how many beats they were to make and all of that craziness....so it would be good to get that kind of beatmaking skill up as well as the week long beat creation....but if you just do it for the creativity it won't matter how long it takes you...you just want the hot end result and maybe you already had a vision and want to build.

DrOscillator

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yeah, really depends on the track for me, and how much time i WANT to spend working on it. i could put something nice together in like a half hour if i'm lucky, but a lot of times i get stuck making the drums EXACTLY on time, or programming a synth sound, or finding ways to mix up the arrangement.

O

open mind

it really depends from 15 min. to 2 hours n more.it depends on how i feel and my mood and etc.

Nuff B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
depends samples are like 20 min party/club 15 anything that takes playing and key precision 1 to 3 hrs but if i dont like the vibe within 5 min than trash it

TKNK

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What?...Yall actually pay attention to how long it takes to make a track....?
I never log how long it takes me cause im not thinking or even worried about how long it takes,thats not my focus or even a thought will im producing.
Producing for me is like being put in a trance with tunnel vision,where i only see and hear music and have no sense of time.
And i rarely delete or trash tacks cause i know some days i can come back to an uncomplete track and add the perfect melody or sounds to make it unforgettable track and just to think i almost trashed/deleted it.

Also to me a track/beat is never finished or complete...

Sonorous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
it depends on the mood i'm in but i think i can always add more to my beats so i don't have an average time just when i feel it right and i start freestylng to it and i don't even rap

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
...are you talking about the beat or the whole track... cuz I think the question was how long fro PRODUCING a track (a song with the singer on it...) not making a beat...

...as for making the beat... I really take my time. Some take less time then others, I could say how long it takes exactly. When the beat is "done" (when I have the general idea), I submit it and when the MC have their lyrics, I make sure they already know them before I step... (that's when I'm recording...) now, what I did is that I "gave" them the studio, and I showed them how to rec themselves, so they can have fun and practice all they want. When they are ready, I check what they did and and make the final touch ups with them... so I cant really give you a set amount of time... (too many parameters)

Gene Flo

"Current Events" OUT NOW! www.TheVerbalImage.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
TKNK said:
What?...Yall actually pay attention to how long it takes to make a track....?
I never log how long it takes me cause im not thinking or even worried about how long it takes,thats not my focus or even a thought will im producing.
Producing for me is like being put in a trance with tunnel vision,where i only see and hear music and have no sense of time.
And i rarely delete or trash tacks cause i know some days i can come back to an uncomplete track and add the perfect melody or sounds to make it unforgettable track and just to think i almost trashed/deleted it.

Also to me a track/beat is never finished or complete...

If u glance at the clock when u happen to go on with a track and know what time it is when u step away from your lab... you should know how long u took on that track.... its not that hard to avoid the time.....

U dont log the time u just know.... haha cant belive u think people log the time it takes....

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
it varies so much, but usually no more than an hour. problem is get bored wit the beat n just start a new one.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
^^^^....mmmmh getting bored with a beat is not a good sign, imo... dont you think?

members online