Internal hardrive

Kaleidon

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
hi, I want to get an internal hardrive for my mpc2500 but I don't know which one's they take.

Heres one that I saw on amazon that I'd like to get

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Spinpoint-M5-HM160HC-internal/dp/B0012451UC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1303868629&sr=8-3"]Amazon.com: Samsung Spinpoint M5 HM160HC - Hard drive - 160 GB - internal - 2.5" - ATA-100 - 5400 rpm - buffer: 8 MB: Electronics[/ame]

is this one a good hardrive?

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Why in god's holy name would you get a seagate?

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Then you've all come across some better seagates than I have.

I've dealt with practically all the major brands, fujitsu, hitachi, toshiba, western digital (fav), maxtor, samsung. Seagate is the only ones thats failed, all of them.

If they work for you, cool. But I typically steer away from them when I can. I've almost been tricked into getting seagates a few times (not really tricked, but looking at prices like "Ohh!" and then seeing what it is).

I know I've scared ppl out of buying them, but it hasn't stopped them from
acquiring samsung's harddrive division so, can't argue against that. lol

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Every high performance company I can think of that needs speed and reliability from there hds use seagate. Sweetwater, glyph, are seagate only shops. Your experience is unusual for sure. Man I bet I have installed over 1000 seagates in different places and they have had a less that 1% fail rate. Of course wd is fantastic as well, so no worries there.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Glyph's are great but highly over rated. I've got 3 of them but honestly you're only paying for the "professional" look imo. Yeah they keep the HD cool but some complain about the fan noise as well. It doesn't bother me because I don't record anything with a mic (at home) so they're perfect for my setup. =)

But yeah, from my research, Seagates are dope compared. Whats funny is like lion was saying...I've only had 1 HD to fail on me and it was a Seagate.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Oh yeah, I know it has a Seagate inside...worth it? Well thats debatable but I like them overall. The thing is you're only buying a case with a fan in it...lol. You can get a Seagate 1.5 TB HD from Wally World a lot cheaper.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
what HUGE thing? Any computer repair tech here will retrieve whatever is on your hard drive if the disc are damaged beyond retrieval and if thats the case, Glyph can't do it either...lol. Ok I read your link... all the information pertains to Seagate, not Glyph. Take the Seagate HD out of a Glyph and what do you have? A box with a fan.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
I mean if you want your HD's to look really professional compared others go Glyph. If looks don't really mean much to you then a WalMart Seagate will do just fine and you'll get more space per dollar.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
@Kaleidon - Make it easy and just get a handful of large sized flash cards...Each beat shouldnt be any bigger then a maximum of something like 30mb's anyways. You can get 2gb flash cards for like 20-25 bucks. I've never really saw the point of getting the hard drive even though u can do it personally. Keep it cheap and simple, my 2 cents anyways.

Check out http://www.newegg.com/ ...I also copped my expansion RAM for my MPC1000 there for like 30 bucks, no need to pay the whopping 200 that akaipro.com recommends.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
ok first of all, glyph CAN AND WILL try and get your data if your drive is damaged, yes in a clean room, in a way that a tech shop cant. Any other place will charge you 5k minimum for that service. The fact that glyph even tries to get data is amazing, as NO OTHER hard drive company does.

Next in that link, you clearly did not read it well. Let me break down a few.

"best power supplies, the quietest fans, rugged metal enclosures, and solid mounting hardware"

This is glyph, it has nothing to do with Seagate...next

"Glyph drives use Oxford chips, for the best compatibility possible. And when it's time to plug in, you can count on Glyph's solid IEC connection — no cheap DC power jack here"

Again not Seagate....

"Plus, Glyph drive enclosures are designed to allow maximum airflow for proper cooling."

This is not just any fan, that actually use special heat syncs ETC to keep the drive extra cool. So its not just a "fan in a box"

So yes, there is a MASSIVE difference between a glyph drive an some off the shelf walmart drive. But of course those drives will work, and I use them often enough. But lets not knock glyph for making a great product.

members online