It's old, but is it a good find?

Elgen

The Moose With The Most.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
Not sure about the scratching, but just check it's condition. It's Technics and it's a direct drive. That's money in the bank dude.

If it was belt drive, i'd be a little wary, just cause the belts get brittle and don't hold up, but generally, the quality of Technics are so high, that they'll last that long without a problem.

Cell 2Dee

Bloody Fingers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 110
Not sure about the scratching, but just check it's condition. It's Technics and it's a direct drive. That's money in the bank dude.

If it was belt drive, i'd be a little wary, just cause the belts get brittle and don't hold up, but generally, the quality of Technics are so high, that they'll last that long without a problem.

How come you're not sure about the scratching? I'm really holding out hope that it works and will scratch haha, just to save me £400-£500.

i wouldnt think it has a pitch control? Does It?

Direct drive is good, to scratch half decently you need to get a scratch cartridge, does the arm allow for changing the whole cartridge?
Or is it just the needle that can be replaced, and if so, where the fuck would you get a needle for one of those?
You will also need a mixer, and crossfaders can die quickly.

MagnaOpera

Comes Equipped...
ill o.g.
i've heard that you generally don't want to get the "package" dealys on turntables. i can't speak from my own exp but i know handfuls of club djs who have all laughed me out of the room when i brought them up.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Step & Mag's right, dont get the battle pack. Thats good if you just started out and really arent prepared to invest in a legitimate setup. The reason those packs are such as good deal is because they skimp in certain areas such as proper torq, shitty mixers, poor parts, etc......

I copped one back in 98 and not much has changed since then in the way they package those deals.
Ever since I can remember the best way to roll is to cop two 1200's and a good mixer like a Vestax, etc. and dont skimp on the cartridges.....those are super important for proper back-que'ing and good sound.

I have a handful of friends that DJ locally on a regular basis and they all say the same thing.

Elgen

The Moose With The Most.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
^^^^ Seconded.

I've got a Technic's 1210mkII, Vestax PMC07-Pro mixer and Shure m44-7 cartridges. Haven't let me down in 5 years or so. It's abit of an initial outlay, but it's worth it.

Cell 2Dee

Bloody Fingers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 110
I won't get the battle pack then, that's basically what the bad reviews said, just bad quality parts. I guess I'll save my dough up until I can get a good set-up. How's about this one - http://cambridge.gumtree.com/cambridge/86/38186186.html ? I know it's the same decks as what Excellence uses, but I'm not sure about the mixer. Also, what else would I have to buy to get this working? Do I need an audio interface too? For now I'll just learn how to scratch on my iCue, unless that above setup is any good. Thanks for all the feedback on the matter guys.