Jay Z at Glastonbury

Precog

I Phantom
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 10
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=5272573&page=1

I dont know if you lot are aware of this, but glastonbury is basically the woodstock for the UK and it was the first time ever this year that a hip hop act headlined. Everyone was moaning about Jay Z being booked as he doesnt make 'guitar music', but fucking hell, he was amazing. I think his performance will go down as one of the best in history and it was a big step for hip hop i feel.
It seems like the future of live hip hop is performing with live bands as it makes the music more accessible to everyone imo.

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
I saw some of the videos. Having a live band is a plus plus. I remember him saying on Jonathan Ross that in most rap shows, they don't use a live band, and what happens is that the sounds get muffled up and distorted, especially on sampled tracks where at times when live, the sounds are not well defined.

I think he did a good job. Obviously some of the hardcore indie fans have a distaste for hiphop and felt that Glastonbury is only for indie bands, but the majority loved it!

2nd_Man

The 2nd Generation Of Man
ill o.g.
Jay-Z absolutely killed it, I saw the whole set (youtube got it) and thats the best live performance of his I've seen. No holding the mic out to the crowd for half of the song, he jus rapped. had a lot of different and new stuff as well. He pulled out the stops.
Coming out to Wonderwall, omfg. It wasn't done in a disrespectful way, its just Jay's way of responding and it was classic.
Yeah he always uses a live band, and it also rocks. Any1 else notice half the songs were from the Linkin Park remixes????

But he certainly put hip hop on the map there.

And from watching the youtube vids, there seemed to be a lot of comments from indie rockers saying they enjoyed it and it opened their eyes to hip hop more and there accepting it more.
He really is breaking barriers