Jay-Z to sign Apple Deal

manguino

Pressure Makes Diamonds
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
pretty big news for the industry imo

mods could merge this with the other jay-z if you want

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/wenn/20080104/ten-jay-z-to-sign-apple-deal-c60bd6d.html

Rap mogul Jay-Z is to launch a brand new record label with computer company Apple, according to reports.
(Advertisement)

The hitmaker, real name Shawn Carter, stunned the music world last month by announcing his decision to retire as Def Jam Records president.

Now the rapper is rumoured to be going into partnership with the owners of music download service iTunes to become head of the company's hip-hop division.

Jay-Z's girlfriend, singer Beyonce, is not believed to be attached to the Apple deal.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
before i realized apples ipod is most likely the improved and universal walkman of the future i was yeahyeah.. hiphop getting even more commercialized.. great. but number one jayz is a core of hiphop and him in charge of the hiphop division is a good thing in my opinion. also i had a new thought about the commercialization topic: imatation is the truest form of flattery even if they look the part but taste like carp (nasty tasting country fish).. when anything gets commercialized then it also opens the doors to other genres and free opportunities for people like us to produce an perform. j has come a long way. and honestly i dont listen to popular hiphop and am not versed on jays work except recently when I just stuck a few albums in the ipod. but yeah i am happy for him rather than unset about anything
..interesting

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Jigga has always been one step ahead of the game. I'm happy for the brotha and hip hop in general. This deal is living proof that hip hop is "far" from dead. I haven't heard no "Pop" "Rock" or "Country" deal of this nature. This is very good news IMO.

We need to stop segregating hip hop people. That shits whack IMHO. Divide and concur.......at this critical point in hip hop we really need to come together and be thankful our "passion", which is hip hop music ,still exists.

Most of us grew up on it and it's embedded in our DNA. We need to unite under one umbrella which is "good music". If you don't like something don't knock it....just don't listen. I say "stop hating the players and the game" in '08!

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
We need to unite under one umbrella which is "good music". If you don't like something don't knock it....just don't listen. I say "stop hating the players and the game" in '08!

Very well put my brotha. Amen to that!

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
Jigga has always been one step ahead of the game. I'm happy for the brotha and hip hop in general. This deal is living proof that hip hop is "far" from dead. I haven't heard no "Pop" "Rock" or "Country" deal of this nature. This is very good news IMO.

We need to stop segregating hip hop people. That shits whack IMHO. Divide and concur.......at this critical point in hip hop we really need to come together and be thankful our "passion", which is hip hop music ,still exists.

Most of us grew up on it and it's embedded in our DNA. We need to unite under one umbrella which is "good music". If you don't like something don't knock it....just don't listen. I say "stop hating the players and the game" in '08!

man turn on the fuckin radio and ull hear no fuckin passion at all thas bullshyt if u rele think that hip hop is still truely in effect wit the shyt that comes out now..u cant unite cats that are really passionate about there music and put there soul in it with cats that dont give a fuck and just do it for the money cuz nowadays anything makes money theres alot of rappers out that arent even rappers they are ppl that labels picked that they felt they can market and had a cheezy ass producer and a cheesy ass ghost rider and it equals to cheesy ass bullshit rap..theres nuttin to be thankful for accept for the cats that are really putin there heart in there music..

manguino

Pressure Makes Diamonds
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
man turn on the fuckin radio and ull hear no fuckin passion at all thas bullshyt if u rele think that hip hop is still truely in effect wit the shyt that comes out now..u cant unite cats that are really passionate about there music and put there soul in it with cats that dont give a fuck and just do it for the money cuz nowadays anything makes money theres alot of rappers out that arent even rappers they are ppl that labels picked that they felt they can market and had a cheezy ass producer and a cheesy ass ghost rider and it equals to cheesy ass bullshit rap..theres nuttin to be thankful for accept for the cats that are really putin there heart in there music..

a lot of rap that's gone mainstream is still coming from big local buzzes though, and you can't discredit that. artists aren't created from the top down, but start local and then get big (for the most part). there is a lot of questionable material out there, but i'm not mad! i just wish there would be a better balance of what exec's push

oh and i'm curious, what artists don't you think have any passion?

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
a lot of rap that's gone mainstream is still coming from big local buzzes though, and you can't discredit that. artists aren't created from the top down, but start local and then get big (for the most part). there is a lot of questionable material out there, but i'm not mad! i just wish there would be a better balance of what exec's push

oh and i'm curious, what artists don't you think have any passion?

lol..do you really want to go there with Fury? Negativity breeds negativity. I believe some of these dudes wish hip hop dead. Shits not going back to the 90's....too many people want that era back....it's over. I'm not going to waste my time responding to b.s. negativity. I got better things to do with my time.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
lol..do you really want to go there with Fury? Negativity breeds negativity. I believe some of these dudes wish hip hop dead. Shits not going back to the 90's....too many people want that era back....it's over. I'm not going to waste my time responding to b.s. negativity. I got better things to do with my time.

yes i wanna go there i did post it didnt I?..aint nobody said it has to go back to the 90's...Lupe aint 90's talib still puttin out cd's Nas still droppin joints Jadakiss Styles our makin dope shyt Common still makin hits plus many more..it doesnt have to be the 90's to be authentic work it just gotta have a point a concept not the same recycled shyt thats bein put out..

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
yes i wanna go there i did post it didnt I?..aint nobody said it has to go back to the 90's...Lupe aint 90's talib still puttin out cd's Nas still droppin joints Jadakiss Styles our makin dope shyt Common still makin hits plus many more..it doesnt have to be the 90's to be authentic work it just gotta have a point a concept not the same recycled shyt thats bein put out..

Manguino asked u a question..not me. I got your point...do u.

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
I think Fury's made a good point.

It's not about negativity or hating it's about taking a stand against the crap that's giving hip hop a bad name. We don't have to like it, it's got nothing to do with going back to the 90's. There's heaps of good stuff that's come out this decade.

The best thing is to just pay no attention to the crap and do what you do and support the real.

Besides a lot of that hip pop that's popular just isn't hip hop at all. Unity is a good thing but I don't want anything to do with arseholes like Soulja Boy; Chingy or whoever the latest ringtone rapper is.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
lmao.....go ahead...take a stand. It's not going anywhere....stand till you can't stand no more. You'll be old and gray. Yap about the ring tone rappers...all that. Same story....same ending. Nothings selling big and the music that does make money is what u love to hate.

I suggest u make music...the music u like and give it away. If the majority of the listeners feel as u do then you'll be an underground success right?. If u can't even give your shit away or gain an enormous fan base then pleaseeeeeeeeeee be at ease.

Nuff said on this subject....NEXT!

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
lmao.....go ahead...take a stand. It's not going anywhere....stand till you can't stand no more. You'll be old and gray. Yap about the ring tone rappers...all that. Same story....same ending. Nothings selling big and the music that does make money is what u love to hate.

I suggest u make music...the music u like and give it away. If the majority of the listeners feel as u do then you'll be an underground success right?. If u can't even give your shit away or gain an enormous fan base then pleaseeeeeeeeeee be at ease.

Nuff said on this subject....NEXT!

Against my own better judgement I'm gonna respond to this.

Not surprisingly, you've missed the point again. Firstly, who did Soulja Boy make money for? Himself or his record label? I doubt he'll be making a career out of music. the truth is that these days the artists making a decent living out of music are mostly on independent labels not majors. Music I like must be making money for someone cause if it wasn't it wouldn't still be around for sale. The charts in the USA are not necessarily the best indicator of what's going on all over the world.

Love to hate? I don't even hear this crap cause I don't listen to American FM radio or watch video shows. I had to do a search on You Tube to see who the hell Soulja Boy even was after reading about him in forums on ILLMUZIK.

I already said that the best way to fight the crap is to ignore it and do your own thing. Which is what I intend to do. I couldn't give a fuck about what the majority of listeners want; I just don't see how that is relevant. Music is either good or it isn't, and what that is is subjective. I'm not interested in who's buying what. I'm a music fan not a record sales fan. I love music, that's it.

I'm already at ease, I just don't agree with what you said. That's alright, isn't it? I don't have to like hip pop do I?

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
I Do This For The Love...period. I Guess Every Genre Of Hip Hop Music Has Its Place Now...even "wack" Shit. The Mid 90's Is Gone But The Authentic Spirit Is Alive. Aint Nothing Like Some Good Ass Boom Bap From The Likes Of A Dj Premeire...that Mufucka Could Put Out An Album Every Week And I'd Buy It. The Problem Is Mufuckas Dont Even Buy The Artist Music That They Like Anymore Because Somebody Always Looking For A "burn" Copy. Hip Hop Needs An Integrity Check.

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
could you expand on this?

ah, I'm not sure what you're unclear on.

If a track has somebody rapping on it that doesn't necessarily make it hip hop. Not an original concept of my own but one that I thought was widely accepted as being true by fans of hip hop.

You want examples?

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Against my own better judgement I'm gonna respond to this.

Not surprisingly, you've missed the point again.

First of all, your point means nothing to me...did I quote u? The point of this thread doesn't have jack to do with what u or Fury has typed. So who's actually missed the point?

A few knuckle heads always manage to warp a thread. The same names aways show up with that b.s.. This thread started out as what? Without looking back do u even know?

I made a statement....my statement in addition to responding "on topic" to this thread. What about u?

Just because I say something..u say something or anybody else says something doesn't make it the gospel. U don't know nor do I what soulja boy will do in the future. Just because u, I or anybody else thinks what he does is b.s means nothing to him and has no bearing on what he may or may not do in the future. He could very well one day be a music mogul for all we know. Is he damn'd because some people think his song sux? I think not. This young man is already producing music and other up and coming artists.

Music either being good or not is an idiotic statement IMO. I don't like various genre's of music....does that make it bad because I don't like it? Hell no...just means "I DON'T LIKE IT".

LIKE I SAID WAY UP THERE...."IF U DON'T LIKE IT DON'T LISTEN TO IT"......SIMPLE CONCEPT!

And to get this back "on topic" Congratz to Jigga if he inks the deal. I think it'll be good for hip hop and will prove to be a very innovative venture that will propel "modern day hip hop" into the future. GO JIGGA GO!!!

members online