Jermaine Dupri

Status
Not open for further replies.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I was just wondering why a lot people dont respect JD when he's done so much within the Hiphop and R&B community

I mean dude has something like 200 chart topping hits that he's produced or wrote, but cats be like fuck JD

it just seems like the band wagon thing to do is hate on him especially internet cats, kinda the same way people do with G-unit now

I mean if u think about it dude has been on the music scene since the 80s

it just seems like hate to me

what do yall think?

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
FistFulloDollaz said:
I was just wondering why a lot people dont respect JD when he's done so much within the Hiphop and R&B community

I mean dude has something like 200 chart topping hits that he's produced or wrote, but cats be like fuck JD

it just seems like the band wagon thing to do is hate on him especially internet cats, kinda the same way people do with G-unit now

I mean if u think about it dude has been on the music scene since the 80s

it just seems like hate to me

what do yall think?

Anybody that can do a top-20 countdown on a major network of songs that THEY produced, is deserving of a lil' respect.

I think people don't give him his props (regular ppl) because the "entertainer/CEO" was done to death by Puff and he was seen as a biter/wannabe Puff during the Life in 1472 era.

He gets his icon status within the business and he has been doin it major since his teenage yrs, dude had chart topping hits as a PRODUCER at like 17-18 so you can't ever front on J.D.

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
still the fact is he makes some of the corniest 'chart topping hits' known to man. and what he sells he sells to screaming young ladies.

im not on a band wagon, i think he's like Armani - bought for the label.

cats on here can murder JD.

ill o.g.
Rhythmikal said:
still the fact is he makes some of the corniest 'chart topping hits' known to man. and what he sells he sells to screaming young ladies.

im not on a band wagon, i think he's like Armani - bought for the label.

cats on here can murder JD.

I know that u dont think everything he's made is corny

Usher and Mariah Carey I think not

corniest chart topping hits known to man award would have to go to D4L laffy taffy

I'm not even gonna comment on u sayin cats here murdering him

yes it is some talent here but even the greatest talents here themselves dont think they can murder JD

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I don't think he gets respect because most of his stuff is R&B.

When on this site has anyone discussed the production merits of The Emancipation of Mimi?????

JD is in the realm of a Teddy Riley. He makes hot sh!t that grown men don't bump everyday.

Not to mention the fact that he does nothing groundbreaking. Whatever is the hot sound at that time he jumps on and adds his twist. He even admitted this in Scratch magazine.

If your success is determined by emulating the sound of other successful producers, naturally, your not going to get the recognition you would if you came a truly original sound.

Hasn't every single album he produced gone platinum????

I wouldn't knock the guy for his success but to hold him in the upper echelons of hip hop is not going to happen. For all the success he's had, there's not a single track he produced that stands the test of time.

He has to understand that n!ggaz on the street ain't listening to Usher, their girls are, and girls (sorry, Eurydice and Producer Gyal) don't give a f!ck who the producer is.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
yea like has been said the main reason is coz he jumps on the bandwagon and makes a lot of corny shit, and brings us people like bow wow !

that said yea he does have talent and hes made a lot of hits, hes made sum good records amongst the shit but i think dre said it best that he managed to sell huge numbers without catering to ten and eleven year olds !

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
The reason why people doesn't respect JD is that he's sucess has been strictly commerical. He has done much impact in the hip-hop community except producing one of the most annoying songs ever (Kriss Kross - Jump).

I respect JD, I think he's cool as hell, he had a platinum record before he was 18 and alot of placks after that. But he hasn't made an impact on hip-hop in any major way, so when he opens his mouth about Dr.Dre (someone who has influenced hip-hop in a major way) of course he's gonna rub some people the wrong way.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Me as a producer dont get on the hate bandwagon especially on someone that sold a million records more than a few times 10 or 15 years ago Plus I do put him in the RnB almost hip hop column....he still doing it with RnB tho....I think a lot of the internet hate you talking about is because most of the music he made predates most cats that really just starting into or getting into trying to produce music so they dont have a clue what he did 10 or 15 years back.....producers like him are a lot further up on the ladder than me in the same exact game that should speak for itself I think some other producers doing RnB back in the 90's including Timbo borrowed some aspects of what he was doing RnB wise, I respect the craft for what it is, especially if one of my goals is the have some respect in the game irregardless of whether he tried biting Puffy one forgets about the formulas one has to follow for hot commercial music that makes you move and has rhythm...its not that many different combos...he found it or was shown it and perfected his own way.....and if my hate is at the expense of those that done did it that really looks bad its too bad some people compare producers like NBA Players LOL, he proved it and pretty much left a mark in the game somehow I cant even find the ground to stand on to throw one criticism at Jermaine Dupree...thats just me because I respect the craft from the standpoint of success and accomplishments....at this point there is not 1 plaque on my wall I can credit even if it was it still wouldnt give me much to aim at someone thats already in the history books of Hip Hop and RnB....

stormelements

Beats That Knock
ill o.g.
ManDAmyth said:
I don't think he gets respect because most of his stuff is R&B.

When on this site has anyone discussed the production merits of The Emancipation of Mimi?????

JD is in the realm of a Teddy Riley. He makes hot sh!t that grown men don't bump everyday.

Not to mention the fact that he does nothing groundbreaking. Whatever is the hot sound at that time he jumps on and adds his twist. He even admitted this in Scratch magazine.

If your success is determined by emulating the sound of other successful producers, naturally, your not going to get the recognition you would if you came a truly original sound.

Hasn't every single album he produced gone platinum????

I wouldn't knock the guy for his success but to hold him in the upper echelons of hip hop is not going to happen. For all the success he's had, there's not a single track he produced that stands the test of time.

He has to understand that n!ggaz on the street ain't listening to Usher, their girls are, and girls (sorry, Eurydice and Producer Gyal) don't give a f!ck who the producer is.

Ditto, he's an R&B producer/comercial Hip Hop producer. He aint make no grimy street music. And that whole beef against Dr. Dre and Timbo made a lot of people mad.

ill o.g.
bigdmakintrax said:
Me as a producer dont get on the hate bandwagon especially on someone that sold a million records more than a few times 10 or 15 years ago Plus I do put him in the RnB almost hip hop column....he still doing it with RnB tho....I think a lot of the internet hate you talking about is because most of the music he made predates most cats that really just starting into or getting into trying to produce music so they dont have a clue what he did 10 or 15 years back.....producers like him are a lot further up on the ladder than me in the same exact game that should speak for itself I think some other producers doing RnB back in the 90's including Timbo borrowed some aspects of what he was doing RnB wise, I respect the craft for what it is, especially if one of my goals is the have some respect in the game irregardless of whether he tried biting Puffy one forgets about the formulas one has to follow for hot commercial music that makes you move and has rhythm...its not that many different combos...he found it or was shown it and perfected his own way.....and if my hate is at the expense of those that done did it that really looks bad its too bad some people compare producers like NBA Players LOL, he proved it and pretty much left a mark in the game somehow I cant even find the ground to stand on to throw one criticism at Jermaine Dupree...thats just me because I respect the craft from the standpoint of success and accomplishments....at this point there is not 1 plaque on my wall I can credit even if it was it still wouldnt give me much to aim at someone thats already in the history books of Hip Hop and RnB....

that was well put

majority of the people who criticize him are too young to have appreciated his old stuff

The Brat had some hot joints he produced

my thing is its one thing not to like his music its a whole nother ballpark if you dont at least respect his grind

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
JD is a very good producer but he hasn't made any/many INCREDIBLE beats like a Dr Dre or Timbaland

also, he had a good 4 or 5 years recently where he didn't produce a whole lot of chart topping stuff

he also hasn't produced any/many tracks on any of the big name rappers in a loooong time (apart from a remix here and there)

all these factors contribute to why he's not mentioned among the elite producers... I mean, in the last 5 years what are 5 hip-hop tracks JD has produced that are worth mentioning?

bluchippa5

Golden Ear
ill o.g.
i'm cool with jd with the exception of these fuckin franchise kids...Even though it garnerered a hit record and one of the most notable songs of last year, i think he tarnished his already questionable credibility. I cant critisize him for anything besides that, cuz i would be lying if i said when i was younger i didn't bump kris kross, usher, or anything he's associated with with the exception of them franchise faggs..shit, who jumpstarted the career of lil jon...

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
have you seen Janet jackson lately???????? Janet is socially inept, she grew up in showbizness. Her life story is pretty sad, if her brother hadn't of skyrocketed into the most famous celebrity in the world, she would be a stripper at Cheetahs.

ill o.g.
ManDAmyth said:
have you seen Janet jackson lately???????? Janet is socially inept, she grew up in showbizness. Her life story is pretty sad, if her brother hadn't of skyrocketed into the most famous celebrity in the world, she would be a stripper at Cheetahs.

u must have forget about the jackson 5 they was paid out the ass before michael blew up

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
can someone please list some good hip-hop tracks produced by JD from the last 5 years or so. I'm a fan of dude but I cant think of many recent tracks from him

holla

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
it does no good to hate, it's conterproductive. however, you have to consider JDs sound is more so on the soft side, and dumb down for the charts. just because it's on the charts doesnt mean that it's Dope. yea, he hasnt done the laffy taffy joint, but he did do the of i think they like me remix, didnt even bother to sync the scratching in that song, bascially left it as is...garbage. peace.

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
i agree that being on the charts does not at all equal quality. It became especially apparent to me when i was told that straight up from a guy pretty high up in the industry. he said something to the tune of "it really has nothing to do with your talent...it's how much we are able to sell you and hype you up"

this isnt to say that jd is completely talentless...but come on now...people act like the way to get on the charts is to be a genuinely good producer/mc with a good heart and determination...on some disney movie shit. the only reason cats like jd and g unit deserve respect is their drive and their ability to play the game. the problem is, skill at playing the game and skill in music are two different things and all too often they get lumped together. for some reason i cant stand when people say "he makes millions...so i respect him"...respect him for what?? being able to make money?

as far as my personal views on jd, i don't listen to his stuff, probly never will. welcome to atlanta makes me want to throw a jar full of change at someone's head. that's not to say i'm hating on him...he can do his thing if he wants...he just can't be acting like he's a producing virtuoso.

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Agent Smith said:
the only reason cats like jd and g unit deserve respect is their drive and their ability to play the game. the problem is, skill at playing the game and skill in music are two different things and all too often they get lumped together.

excellent point. i'm in complete agreeance to that note. at the very least, i respect their business savvy, but in terms of their music..they can keep it. most cats who "respect" them are basically saying they respect their hustle, it doesnt have anything to do with the craft or culture. I do respect JD, he had his impact on the music and has done so at a very young age, but nowadays..he's on the bandwagon with the rest of'em. Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online