Jimmy Iovine Gives Advice

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
This has been out for awhile. He says its basically all about talent, then he says it doesnt take a genius to sign soldier boy. such a double negative. he should have broke down and said that their main interest is in making $$ and making it quick.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Yeah...that's pretty contradictory.....

Unless the labels have changed their views on what is considered "talent".

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
man, ya'll missing the whole picture

Soilder Boys is an incredible talent...not an incredibly talented hip hop lyricist by the standards of your average boom bap fan....or most hip hop fans for that matter, but you cant sell what that kid has...and THATS what guys like Jimmy want...You cant learn it, read it, or steal it.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
man, ya'll missing the whole picture

Soilder Boys is an incredible talent...not an incredibly talented hip hop lyricist by the standards of your average boom bap fan....or most hip hop fans for that matter, but you cant sell what that kid has...and THATS what guys like Jimmy want...You cant learn it, read it, or steal it.

Soldier Boy has no talent. At all. None. Zilch. Zero. It's all marketing schemes to a demographic. How is he talented. please elaborate.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
successfully emulate a vibin soilder boy record...rap and all...thats how

Some heads SWEAR that there is a "Guide to Blowing UP a Wack Nigga and Pissing Off The Underground" manual sitting in every industry executive's top drawer.

Soilder Boy was a git who came up on myspace cause his records were VIBING...vibe dont got anything to do with lyrical content or consciousness of the culture, but when music is vibing there is no denying it...THATS where the talent comes in, cause being able to communicate with other humans on a vibe level through the harmonics of sound is a much more sophisticated talent overall than being able to construct complex multi-syllabic rhyme schemes....all that takes is time and patience....look at all the rap forums online

Back to vibes though...

You cant just play ANY record with an 808 that has been on the radio in a club and expect people to vibe, some may think its that easy but its not....I've seen plenty of cookie cutter artists clear the dance floor trying to break records in Miami.

Its pretty ignorant to say its all marketing to a demographic though. You may not like his music, I know I dont, but to say he talentless is a mistake.

Think of how many more clean cut 16 year olds there are out there, you dont think the other 4 out of the big five want their own soilder boy and arent feverishly searching to find him? Maybe the fail cause they dont have the right marketing plan....

Sometimes we give to much credit to these execs and "marketking" because we dont want to give credit where its due simply because an artist doesnt match OUR vibe...

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
sorry Lou. Not to sound cliche but we will have to agree to disagree. lol. Gimme a million dollars and I can make a turd go platinum

then you sir are an AMAZING talent! Quit producing and come do some A&R work down here in the Miami scene...I know a couple guys who would give you a shot. We got alotta turds down here with big money behind them. Remember $tacks?

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
LOL....Why is it when debates like this pop up it suddenly gets either reduced to "hater" or "mainstream vs. underground"???.....

Seems kinda like a scapegoat to blame it on "boom-bap" just because someone doesnt support a commodified entity such as Soldier Boy.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
LOL....Why is it when debates like this pop up it suddenly gets either reduced to "hater" or "mainstream vs. underground"???.....

Seems kinda like a scapegoat to blame it on "boom-bap" just because someone doesnt support a commodified entity such as Soldier Boy.

sometimes cats get offended by other's opinions. Lou seems to think cats like Soldier Boy have talent whereas I think it's the "machine"that creates them. And for the record, I don't hate mainstream artists, because Luda is a beast and is killin the mainstream. "Boom Bap" has a bad look because it hasn't been MARKETABLE in a long time. It's not old school neither. it's the east's sound. Lets be clear yall.

And no, No need to come down and A&R. No need to leech of someone else's "supposed" talent.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
I mean to be fair, Soldier Boy's successful at getting money just like Miley Cyrus is so I guess if thats the only way to weigh his accomplishments then yeah, dude is a beast....but as far as offering something significant and unique to the rap game and music in general I gotta say he scores a 0.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
I mean to be fair, Soldier Boy's successful at getting money just like Miley Cyrus is so I guess if thats the only way to weigh his accomplishments then yeah, dude is a beast....but as far as offering something significant and unique to the rap game and music in general I gotta say he scores a 0.

Thats a point i been tryin to make here for years. Pop music and Hip Hop Music are 2 separate entities. The music corporations flipped the game on that level. Soldier Boy is no different then vanilla Ice

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
damn turning down an A&R gig in Miami? We could use a good turd polisher!

I'll take that job..........!

I'm just glad I don't have to hear crank that, everytime I go out now.
2 - step was very annoying too.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Soldier boys talent was a social one. He got people involved. Music is social above anything else these days, he aint a lyricist. Nor is he a Beat maker, Composer or any of that ish. He got people to watch his vids, Dance a stupid dance and spread it to their friend. Its bullshit but it happened, BEFORE money came into the picture. Being "Likeable" was his "talent" (or that of whoever was handeling him). He did the numbers and labels recognised, simple.

Soldier boy was/is trash but he had a knack for getting people involved! (lol kinda like an MC, go figure)

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Somebody saw the potential to make money with this kid, everyone knows he's garbage but somebody gave him a chance and they got paid. IMO Master P was garbage but he was smart enough to do good for himself and get involved in other ish to continue to make money. How many times have you heard a #1 hit and think to yourself I got ish in a notebook at home thats better? How many producers come out with some wack ish and you got ish on your harddrive thats 10x better? Look at all the one hit wonders. Get a shot, get good marketing and suddenly you're an overnight sensation. Making one hit album is easy, making a career out of it seperates the men from the boys.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Soldier boys talent was a social one. He got people involved. Music is social above anything else these days, he aint a lyricist. Nor is he a Beat maker, Composer or any of that ish. He got people to watch his vids, Dance a stupid dance and spread it to their friend. Its bullshit but it happened, BEFORE money came into the picture. Being "Likeable" was his "talent" (or that of whoever was handeling him). He did the numbers and labels recognised, simple.

Soldier boy was/is trash but he had a knack for getting people involved! (lol kinda like an MC, go figure)

Getting people involved is the PRIMARY function of an MC, lyricism was a BONUS we got to enjoy later as the culture progressed...ppl act like the 80's didnt happen man.

I think the problem is that people my age and a lil younger equate the super lyrical mid to late 90's as the standard for what good MCing should be just because thats what they are familiar with. Also artist dont want to come to terms with guys like soilder boy success cause they make it LOOK easy. It aint as easy to blow up a git with swag as some of ya'll bois think. If it was these dope bois who are investing THOUSANDS in their little brothers would all be Ted Lucas. Obviously thats not the case because their is only one git in the game right now.

members online