keyboard questions

N

new2thegame

Whats up every1,

Im in the process of picking a keyboard. I'm leaning toward the fantom, but I have a few questions:

What's the difference between a sound module and a rack ?

And if I where to buy a fantom, could i get the same sounds from a triton or motif if I bought there sound module/rack?

Also, I was checking out the Triton LE and noticed it has SMART MEDIA, can anyone tell me what you can do with SMART MEDIA? I have no idea.

As u can tell, I am new 2 the game, I appreciate any responses.

~1

fame_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
First im gona ask you have you a/b the Fantom to other top keyboards. Are we talking about the old fantom or the new fantom(is it called the fantom s) well anyways my first (i hate) about the fantom is it has no sampler so you can not add sounds from other sources. One more thing about that keyboard was it can only play one seq at a time from the floppy so in order to just go from song to song you must load it up. but maybe you tested it out and see something in it i dont.

all a rack is is a keyboard with out keys...some people buy racks to save up space. instead of having room full keyboards youll just have rack looded with rack sound modules....so a rack is a sound module...for instances korg triton has a keyboard and a rack the triton rack has the same sounds and toys as the keyboard(well for the triton the rack dont have the touchscreen) but it can do everything that the keyboard can do but i dont have keys so maybe you have a motif and you love the keyboard action on it over korgs and you would also save money by just geting a rack over another keyboard and you could control it via midi from the motif.
if you got the fantom the only way you could get the motif sounds is to buy the motif keyboard or buy the motif rack you cant just buy the sounds.
smart media cards are just like floppys and zips but there smaller but can be cop from a 16mb smc all the way up to a 128mb card. i think most of the time people say they dont like them only cause they do cost alot more i thing you can get a 128mb card for 50 dollars or so. The fantom dont have a smc slot and the triton dont have one also they have floppy drives only 2mbs and now a days that just dont cut the mustard. but you can always buy a exter. zip for it. let know what other keybords you been checking out cause i and maybe many others are not too hip on the old fantom but the the new one sounds like it could be cool but the v synth looks sexy!

N

new2thegame

Hey fame_keyz,

I'm talking about the new Roland Fantom being released this month I beleive. It does have a sampler, unlike the old one.

http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?form=prodsearch&q=fantom

I'm not familiar with the v synth. Which company makes that? Nonetheless, my plan is 2 get a keyboard (probably the new fantom) and just expand with racks/sound modules.

I'm into hip-hop: so probably triton/motif/mo phatt sound modules. I'm also looking into getting the M-audio "ozone" which is in all-in-one midi controller (that comes with built-in interface,phantom power, & pre-amp).

Also I heard that when recording with condensor mics its best to have a tube pre-amp. So u get a smooth vocal recording, any1 care 2 elaborate on this??

Scholar

willing vic to the music
ill o.g.
yes that is true i would look into a joe meek pre amp if ya funds are right, and as for a keyboard fantom is nice and so is the mo phat i have roland xp60 love it to death everyone and their momma has a triton, i would look at the roland or the motif. and add moduals from there.

R

RhymnRzn

have you considered......

since you are new to music production, you may have yet to discover VST instruments, which are virtual-digital emulations of the various intruments, most notably, samplers, all sorts of drum machines and synths. you may be in advantage if you take the loot you was planning on spending for those hardware synths and and invest in a DAW (digital audio workstation). if you threw down a grand or two on a GOOD computer (w/audio and midi interface, a midi keyboard (100-200 bucks or so), and another grand for the best choice software instruments, you will be off to a good start, and with alot more capabilties and better looks.

but i definately will say this, you are getting into more than what you think! there's alot to music production, way more than what i really considered when i began. definately take your time and do ALL your homework before you throw down money for stuff.

peace

you can look at my specs for an example:

http://www.photosynthproductions.com/Photo_Album.html

Scholar

willing vic to the music
ill o.g.
rhymn couldnt have said it best when i started people was say this and saying that and i listened to all the stuff they had to say but in the end i lost so much money and ended up selling a lot of shit so just do a lot of home work ask a buch of questions and see whats best for you.

N

new2thegame

RhymnRzn, I have discovered VST. I have used fruity loops for the last 6 months. And I have been able 2 drop some ill beats from that. But I'm looking 2 expand, I want 2 get a keyboard and start my production based around my PC. I been doing my homework, and thanx 2 sites like this, I got people like u helping out. I have checked out some older midi keyboards, but the sounds suck!

I guess u get what u pay for.

fame_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
n2tg the v synth is from roland too i put out a load of new boards this year i guest they tring to play catch up with yamaha amd korg it cost a lil more around 200 dollars more but i would a/b the roland and the v synth just for the fact i hate when a company puts out two new boards at the same time i just would hate to pick the wrong one but from looking at the roland it has a lot of buttons and the mpc look alike pads got to be a good ideal. from what i read the v synth sound like a new type of keyboard from roland and the fantom sounds like a newer fantom. i might have to look a the v synth

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

It is difficult to a/b the Fantom and the V-Synth because they are two different types of keyboards.

The Fantom is basically a sample playback keyboard with fx and some other goodies. It will have your basic basses and drumkits, you this as your 'bread and butter' keyboard.

The V-Synth is a 'synth' in the traditional sense that it can create new sounds from scratch that you couldn't make with any other keyboard. It has a sampler in it which will allow to do timestretching/pitchshifting using their Variphrase technology...you can then combine these sounds with other oscillators, run them through synth functions like filters and LFO's, then run them through fx.

My money is on the V-Synth because I like to screw with sounds...

Take care,

Nick

members online