Learn How To Clean Your Vinyl

1. Fade

Fade

VIP Member
    Beat Scientist
    Administrator
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    Let's face it - most of us throw our vinyl around and abuse it without a second thought. What we're actually doing is degrading the quality of our precious vinyl records, so why do we do it? I don't have the answer to that question, for me it's just something I do. Actually, it's something I DID. I no longer beat up my records because I value them a lot more than I did years ago, maybe it has something to do with the fact that it's very hard to obtain vinyl nowadays.

How it gets dirty

Most of the time it's simple things like dust, spit (DJ's especially), smoke, skin, etc. The list goes on and on and without proper care the vinyl will start to degrade and you'll be left with a unplayable frisbee.

[​IMG]

How to clean it

There's a few ways to clean your records. Back in the day if I needed a quick fix I would use Windex. I know, that's stupid but it was all I had at the time and I figured if it made my windows shine then it should do the same for my records too, no? Windex does in fact clean it, but it also has ammonia in it so I can't imagine that being GOOD for vinyl.

Typically you should use products that are made specifically for cleaning records. Stanton has a record cleaning kit that contains a liquid along with a high-grade brush with non-abrasive unidirectional fibers. There are many other products just like Stanton's that will do a great job at taking care of your vinyl.

Wood Glue

For years some people actually used wood glue to clean their records! It sounds nuts but it seems to work. I've never tried it but apparently it does one hell of a job, although it takes a while because you have to let it sit for hours then carefully peel back the glue. The end result looks awesome in that it takes away every bit of crap off your records. If you're going to try it, I'd suggest using a record that you don't care much for, that way you don't mess up anything precious.

2. Warzone Beat Battle
  3. DJ Excellence

DJ Excellence

Burpman
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    Dope article, you can also use diluted baby oil, works for me.

4. Fade

Fade

VIP Member
    Beat Scientist
    Administrator
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
  5. DJ Excellence

DJ Excellence

Burpman
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    It really cleans the vinyl thoroughly (you feel it when you play the record afterwards), of course baby oil can be messy. I think Ice T was talking about this on "Fried Chicken" (that's on the Original Gangster Album).

6. StressWon

StressWon

www.stress1.com
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    I'll use the wood glue on one of my kanye records..lol. I do have a weezay record too.

7. Fade

Fade

VIP Member
    Beat Scientist
    Administrator
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
  8. Sucio

Sucio

Old and dirty...
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    Looks like you'd be using a shitload of wood glue...

I used a LCD screen cleaner with a microfiber cloth....works great.

9. dacalion

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    back in my DJ'ing days I would use alcohol to clean and baby oil to put a layer of protection back on it. The alcohol would strip the record and dry it out, then the baby oil reduced friction, added a protective layer and it will reduce alot of the pops and crackles that coome with using vinyl. I would clean them at home and I used The Discwasher D4 Record Cleaning Kit at the club.

10. StressWon

StressWon

www.stress1.com
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    yeah i have a kanye record. i bought a couple lots off ebay. I have when it all falls down. I actually like that track

11. DJ Excellence

DJ Excellence

Burpman
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    I have "when it all falls down" on vinyl too ...ahah it was cheap and has an acapella version , so I was like "why not?"