Love Reggae, Love Digital Digging

SupaStar

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I have had this site on my favorite for quite some time, didnt want to share til i actually bought something from it.. I recently purchased some vinyl I am experimenting now w\ sampling but as always I am looking for my own flava.. so I decided to go with Reggae classics...these guys sure do deliver....its like an archive from the birth of reggae and ska til today...the only downside is that is guess game...no opportunity's available for you to listen though...but when you talk about massive this site really fits the cake

Check It Out
http://www.ebreggae.com

SupaStar

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Being honest all reggae are classics to me..but to really be specific you got to listen to records when reggae did not become corporate, 1989 going backwards to days of ska.. love was real then you know.. people married young and stayed together forever..you could feel that in the songs of those days that made them classics...
Gregory Isaacs, John Holt, Dennis Brown, Peter Tosh, Jimmy Cliff, Freddie Mcgregor, Ken Boothe are just a few if you really wanna go way back check out the Skatalites........Theres just too many...there really isn't a definitive history of reggae anywhere like what were chart toppers what I understand reggae was an underground music when it started and was considered evil like hip hop when it started so most of the artistes didnt gain recognition til after death...they were no charts to climb, or tally for the sales of records, there were no international radio or means of marketing their music...so the artistes really became classics by preference of the dj - if you were the one with "big chune" you got more spins...so the reggae artistes dont become classics by being number one in sales, they became classics because they sing the songs we loved and kept in our hearts forever.....so I rather tell people to stop by a record shop pick up an album and just listen...its not the artiste really its the songs

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Mindstate said:
What would you say are some of the most classic reggae albums (not including Bob Marley)?

Don't discount Bob Marley, he's got some incredible pre-island stuff that's been compiled by various record labels throughout the years.

As for good albums... lets see. For Ska, anything by the Skatalites, Prince Buster All Stars, Baba Brooks Band, even though alot of musicians works inbetween different artists... for Rocksteady and early reggae, guys like Alton Ellis, Slim Smith, Ken Boothe, Heptones. For Roots, can't go wrong with guys like Yabby You, Ras Michael, Prince Far I, Abyssinians, Johnny Clarke, etc... for Dub, well, there's alot, Tubby, Jammy, Errol T, Hookim Brothers... for Dancehall, there's Sugar Minott, General Echo, Barry Brown, Little John, Early B, Michael Palmer. Anyways that's just some of the names, I can't remember them all because there's too much, like Krzy said. Just research, you'll find something you like.

I'd check out some record labels like Pressure Sounds, Blood & Fire, and Auralux, who have released some top material. Don't be afraid to go into the digital era either, there's some great stuff there too.

veon

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
unfortuneatly i have dial-up and cant afford the time to lose on digital diggin on the net, i digital dig cd on this market who sell one cd for under 1$. love it. i hate when i cant find somethin nice. sheesh. alsaw i got a lot of 12" but have nothin to play them on.

members online