Madlib - SP-303

ill o.g.
I know youve all heard people talk about Madlib usin the SP-303. I got a couple questions though:

-I read the Article he did in SCRATCH, it didnt say, but, does Madlib actually do his final production beats on that? Or does he just come up with rough drafts of them on the SP-303?

-Does anybody have a link of a place i can go and here some of his SP-303 music?

Also, anybody who doesnt know, check out this link and go to the sequencer video:
http://rolandus.com/products/details.asp?CatID=4&SubCatID=0&ProdID=SP-303&PageMode=15

ill o.g.
Yea, thats the one.

Whatever works for you. He said he just didnt like how you cant tell when the pad got hit, when you hit the pad on the SP-303 it lights up and and you can feel the pad go down. I understand where he's comin from when he says that, but i know most people would disagree.

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yeah madlib does the whole beat on the 303 than records it to a digital mulitrack or a tape.
he then deletes the samples and makes another beat.

if u wanna hear what his 303 beats sound like then listen to madvillian or jaylib cos all the beats he did on those two cds were 303 beats.

MaximeRobin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I like the pads that lit on the sp. It's save times to play a sequence and see the pads that were used. I don't really know why AKAI don't tho that on there pads.

Hectic

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I agree with a lot of views on this. I got an SP 202, it's an earlier, more scaled down version of the 303. Overall it's a good sampler especially with how you can tell what pads are playing, where on the MPC you have to do that through memory, but it doesn't have a sequencer and you can't really compose a beat on it unless you just hook up a loops or something.

I haven't tried the 303 but I've read about it and it seems pretty much the same thing. The only good thing on it is that you can program when to start recording a sample (something you can't do on my Korg ES-1). I tend to first sample onto the 202 and then record it onto the ES-1.

I didn't know Madlib used a 303 though. That interesting to know. I thought he just used an SP1200 to do everything.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Ok I used the 303.....owned a 505.... the Fantom S and the SP 808...all which use about the same type of pads & spring configuration....None of these pads have the same responsiveness or real drum feel as the MPC....sorry about that.....now I think that madlib might take his pre chopped samples and possible make tracks..........but I have seen an interview where he states this is one of his main samplers to produce a lot of his work.....but with the right creativity I am sure he has some method of maximizing that little box to make something dope.....if you listen to his work a lot of it is straight ripped loops and phrases which is what the sp303 is....a phrase sampler...so it is possible to compose high quality work with it.......

ill o.g.
This shit is crazy. Im def gettin this once i get some more money. Im goin to Cali in a couple weeks, im gonna have a lot of spare time. If i get this before i leave, im gonna be havin a good vacation.

mArkoFdAbEaTz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
dnt said:
I like the pads that lit on the sp. It's save times to play a sequence and see the pads that were used. I don't really know why AKAI don't tho that on there pads.

why would u want light on your pads for the mpc other than just to give it a queer guy for the mpc makeover??? u got 16 pads and 4 banks on the mpc w/ 4 programs u can use at the same time and most of the time i just build up 1 program for each beat to keep everything organized and i dont really need more than 2 banks for a beat, i dont really see the logic behind your comment.. but hey whatever floats your boat i guess. lol

MaximeRobin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I don't use only 8 pads for my beats.... (cause they say 16 pads for the sp303 but 8 are internal memory and 8 the smart media) the internal momery is very limited...). Why be so aggressive about a little detail like that?

mArkoFdAbEaTz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i wasnt talkin about the 303 i know why they have it or any other mini drum machine for that matter like the zoom one but on an mpc???

DJ Reflex

Turntablist, Producer
ill o.g.
I got an sp-505 and i love it man! I really love the layout of the buttons in two rows of 8. It seems that bit more sensible than four rows of four. Plus the sp-505 has amazing features like pitch shift, which means u can pitch a sample across an octave and then play the pads like a keyboard! thats right theres amazin stuff. Plus the screen on the sp-505 is nice and simple. I just wished the pan was better, at the mo its left/center/right. I wish u cud adjust each pad more accuratly and also i wish u cud apply different effects to multiple pads! But then again the pricetag is sweet compared to an akai sampler! Anyways a great machine!
Peace out!

DJ Reflex

Turntablist, Producer
ill o.g.
sorry just though id add this - features of sp-505:
• Compact sampling workstation with onboard sequencing and effects
• 8 voices of CD-quality sampling, expandable up to 128MB via SmartMedia*
• Chop function divides loops and maps individual samples to pads
• Pitch function for playing back samples at new pitches as on a keyboard
• BPM Sync function instantly matches up to 16 phrases to the same tempo
• 64 onboard Tones with drums, bass, keyboard, synth sounds and more
• 4-part Pattern Sequencer with Quantize for easy song creation
• Intuitive graphic LCD (with waveform display) and three knobs
• 26 effects like Tape Echo, Isolator and Vinyl Simulator with resampling and realtime control
• Imports .WAV/AIFF files via SmartMedia*
• Coaxial/Optical Digital inputs
• *SmartMedia cards must be purchased separately; SmartMedia adapter or PCI adapter card required for .WAV/AIFF conversion.

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
DJ Reflex said:
sorry just though id add this - features of sp-505:
• Compact sampling workstation with onboard sequencing and effects
• 8 voices of CD-quality sampling, expandable up to 128MB via SmartMedia*
• Chop function divides loops and maps individual samples to pads
• Pitch function for playing back samples at new pitches as on a keyboard
• BPM Sync function instantly matches up to 16 phrases to the same tempo
• 64 onboard Tones with drums, bass, keyboard, synth sounds and more
• 4-part Pattern Sequencer with Quantize for easy song creation
• Intuitive graphic LCD (with waveform display) and three knobs
• 26 effects like Tape Echo, Isolator and Vinyl Simulator with resampling and realtime control
• Imports .WAV/AIFF files via SmartMedia*
• Coaxial/Optical Digital inputs
• *SmartMedia cards must be purchased separately; SmartMedia adapter or PCI adapter card required for .WAV/AIFF conversion.

could you use it as a module, 4 part sequencer is not enough!

ill o.g.
G-French said:
Are people really trying to compare a 303 to a MPC????????????

This must be a joke!!!!!!!!!

No, we aint comparing em like that. We all know the MPC could kick the SP's ass. We're just comparin the pads. Somebody the MPC should have the lights on the pads. And everybody kept on talkin from there.