Major or Indie?

P_1

One of THE OG MEMBERS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 38
depending on the price and the type of deal, i would definitely go with a major. but being with an indie label when you're just starting can have its benefits too. maybe you can demand artistic freedom when you sign with an indie if you have enough following.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Its great to aspire to be signed by a major as in house producer, there is a lot of glamor, maybe little too much especially if you are barely paying bills doing it, by signing with a label as with anything there is risk but you are severely limited and sometimes have to make the music the way they want or for the project.......the best set up IMHO and from knowing a few people with production companies, its best to run your own business/production company, secure publishing deals and provide tracks on either a contract or X amount per project and deal with multiple labels without being locked in to only working with one.......if you can successfully weave yourself in with some labels doing this I think it is much more promising than if you get directly signed to a label......plus because of intellectual property and being signed to label you get a salary and percentage of publishing and points.....but the label more often than not get all of the rights to the music you created......but as with running any business you need your marketing and business management hot on getting you work and politiking.....with a label in house they have that covered you make the beats dont worry about the marketing etc....

Honesty

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Major...

I look at it like this...

Even if I'm signing as an in-house guy...etc... it's only going to be for a limited time 3-5yrs. After those 3-5 yrs, I'll have a better chance of having a big name and consequently I'll be able to charge more and have more options.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
major no doubt.... . more exposure .... more top level artists within reach.... easier access to a wider spectrum of music (r&b, pop, movies,) basically more connections quicker than if you went the independent route... basically like the post above me is sayin... a couple years signed in house and after that you can do whatever the fuc u want plus by now u might be famous/sought after and have some clout to demand HUGE paper per track like dre,neptunes, mannie, rich harrison, and other superproducers...... cats clearin 100g's per track AND have creative freedopm.......thats crazy .... independent defintitely has its strong points too though but i would like to picked up by a major.

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Major...if I make music I want it to be heard!

jclay12345

JClay
ill o.g.
I might say Indie with major distribution. Of course it is a lot harder to get stuff going with an Indie, but once you do and you are at the top of that company, you get more money than most. The down side is Indie are poorly funded when first starting off and are usually managed bad. With majors you can learn a lot on house business is done. You will also get a lot more exposure fast and won't have to sacrifice what is in your pocket most of the time. Radio airplay is a lot easier to get too. But I still say Indie with major distribution. Don't get me wrong though, if they right major deal came along, I will take it.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
I've pretty much dedicated my life and all my resources to the growth and preservation of the independent market.
My personal preference is to have 200% control over what my artists are releasing and the artistic integrity/freedom of the music.

I love the fact that I could have my artists make a "Boom Bap" album and rhyme like
Tek and Steele, not have ONE radio single and still make a million and a half dollars.
Underground fans are the most loyal, and the most knowledgeable, and if you are a smart businessman and a good artist, you can release albums every year until you're 50 without having to lie about your age (like all major artists do!)

The #1 hip hop site in the world is an underground site. (ughh.com)

The Wake Up Show has broke more new artists that became household names than any other radio or tv format (The Source is probably neck-in-neck with them though).

Would I consider distribution from a major label?? Hell yeah, but at the end of the day,
you don't gotta make an album that sounds like NY hip hop 1995, but I shouldn't have to make a "club song, thong song, and thug song" if I'm not feelin that shit!

Independent all day!

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
^^^word...

in the words of the immortal EL-P and Co Flow...

"INDEPENDANT AS FUCK...!"

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Indy man, self sufficiency is the key to all, it just takes more effort but then it's all under control, your controls.

nonie

Kohie
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
You guys are sharing some good views on this.

I'd also rather go Indie, but if THAT Major deal was in my reach then I'd go for it because I mean with Indie, its hard to get people to hear your voice and to listen to your message while if you were signed to a Major, it would be easier for people to recieve that image you're trying to portray. I mean like people like 50 Cent, Kanye, etc. they all have mad people following them and so it makes it easier for their fans to recieve the image trying to be portrayed and for me, that's what I want, for people to know what I stand for. Word.

And I agree with you jclay, being on a Indie label with Major distribute would be dope.

Honesty

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
But an Indie label w/ Major distribution is an oxymoron... the point of an Indie label is to be Independent of Interscope, Warner Brothers et al... right?

jclay12345

JClay
ill o.g.
Honesty said:
But an Indie label w/ Major distribution is an oxymoron... the point of an Indie label is to be Independent of Interscope, Warner Brothers et al... right?

no the point to me of having an independent label is to have creative control. and to also have control of where your money is going. some rappers get 3 points on an album. 3 points. that's not worth it to me.

members online