Manual Digging vs. Internet Digging

DaWorldFamous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I was on a blog the other nite and the blog's author who has dug up alot of hot and rare records made a statement on one of the posts that said "If u loop something u should find the original because sampling mp3's is wack." I thought "Hmmm, that's funny." I loop from mp3's all the time from my personal rips and what I found from blogging. I have downloaded a song to sample even if I had the originals because most of the mp3's are cleaner sounding and if u edit them in soundforge ect...u can do neat tricks with the left right waves(the same as with records tho). I have over 7000 albums. I am a purist of sorts too, but I deal with technology and if I can find some dope shit to loop on the net, what is the problem? Just because I don't own the original record? That's bullshit to me. I love the bragging rights of having an original sample in the vinyl form, but who cares where it came from as liong as it's hot. And I have some shit that niggas won't find, just like he does. I'm from a time where we would black out record titles with a marker and never show the album covers to other dj's/producers as a matter of secrecy to keep those from looping the same stuff I had. And he is putting his rare shit on blogs? What the fuck?

So I guess the question is "Is it wrong to loop up mp3's that u find on the net or should u be a good boy and find the originals before u use them?"

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
I don't see a problem with digging on the internet or in person, especially if a record has a ridiculous price tag or hasn't been reissued or hard to find. If an album is available for cheap as a reissue or repress however, then there's really no excuse for downloading... just my opinion.

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
i do a lot of production from stuff i find on the net. i dont have a problem with it "by definition". but i do find the sound of sampling from records is ten times better. FLAC comes very close to it.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
^^ indeed, from vinyl is better, i started out checking blaxploitation.com which is a good resource for dope sample material but 90% is hard to find here so soulseek is my best friend...i mean, nothing should keep you from being creative and quality is a priority but if a dope sample is only available in one quality (either shitty on vinyl or even more shitty on mp3) i'd still use it.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
who cares where it came from as long as it's hot.
u answered ur own question... i too, was one to check for vinyl as well... but then i started listening to some Hip Hop albums, and they dont sound very impressive to me as far as sound quality... besides, like u also said, there's a few things u can do to spice up an mp3 or wav file, so who gives a fuck... if u dont like what i made, keep it movin! the next person will... im gonna sample whatever i get my hands on, and try to make it sonically better as much as possible.

da relic

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Get what you get......who cares where you get it from?

DaWorldFamous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
^^ indeed, from vinyl is better, i started out checking blaxploitation.com which is a good resource for dope sample material but 90% is hard to find here so soulseek is my best friend...i mean, nothing should keep you from being creative and quality is a priority but if a dope sample is only available in one quality (either shitty on vinyl or even more shitty on mp3) i'd still use it.

Yeah i fiuck with blaxploitation too....nice shit

ess vinyl

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
i do a lot of production from stuff i find on the net. i dont have a problem with it "by definition". but i do find the sound of sampling from records is ten times better. FLAC comes very close to it.

worrd up. ... when that raw wax is goin through ur speakers u can tell the difference back to back between that and an mp3. mp3 is compressed audio so your losing a little sound. if it's a good rip (you can always tell if it came from the vinyl) on mp3 you can always definitely get by, but the quality is slightly betterr straight off the record

SirSedric

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Ill sample anything but vinyl will always be my favorite

I agree with that. When it comes to composition and actually writing the song though... who cares what format you're using as the basis?

If I can sample the original cut from vinyl, great. If not though, I have a few plugins that emulate vinyl and/or tape saturation for that type of sound that work pretty well and sometimes even better...

There's also something to be said for audio degradation on older/heavily used vinyls... It can be the best sounding thing ever, or it can sound like shit.. just depends.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
You have these so called hip hop purist who think you can only sample or make beats one way. Like your not putting in the effort and time into finding sounds. Some people dont have the access to a vinyl record shop, or the time.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Regardless.....

Hip-hop "purists" are setting these "guidelines" so they can be looked at as some heirarchy in the game...

Of course.....that's corny..

It's called "advancements in technology"

It's the same mofos that talk on cell phones, access email and their calendars on their blackberrys....They take advantage of technology as much as the next dude....

They don't want the next dude who dug up the same ol records an easier way succeed the same way they did when they had to dig up the record themselves.

soulmarauder

ill o.g.
yeah ill sample from anything really. Mostly i'll stick to vinyl but if I find something else that sounds good and no one else has used it...

Before I got my turntable and started sampling records I started out with simple loops off the internet, and then progressed from there with chopping etc. If you hear something in a sample and you can make something dope out of it, then go ahead. It doesn't matter where it comes from, as long as you put in effort and make something original out of it.

ill o.g.
This is especially an issue when it comes to people that want to sample from international records. I'm in Korea right now and I went to a record store to find some dope sounds, but most of the 1960's and 1970's psychedelic rock records (which is the genre hip hop producers look for when digging for records in Korea; for example, the drum outro in DJ Shadow's "The Number Song" was from a Korean psychedelic rock group named He 6) are over $50 here. I could find the same songs on the net for 50 cents a song (using a Korean song sharing program). If you're digging for records on the net, you're still digging aren't you? You're just not using your fingers to flip through records, but rather to type the right words to get to the right tracks. Lots of effort on both ends, regardless of which option you choose.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
I'll have to disagree that 'digging' applies to the internet. It's more of a 'search', and I can tell you first hand that the effort it takes to find an mp3 file is not quite as challenging as finding a record. The internet makes things easy. I can understand why you would pay a small fee on the net as opposed to buying a 50$ record, but, that's part of digging. You have to dig deep to find the things you want for a good price. The internet provides a resource for finding music, sure, but I can hardly call downloading a song from the internet 'digging'. Part of the magic of digging is the stories and memories that are shared with finding records. This 'magic' applies to the whole music process in my opinion. I can hardly remember half the shit I d/led off the net, but I can tell you exactly where I got each and every single one of my records and how each record sounds.

I'm only speaking about 'digging' applied to the internet here, I don't care what people sample, but the application of the word 'digging' to finding songs on the net just doesn't make any sense in my opinion.

In any case, I stand by my previous post in that it doesn't matter where you get your samples from, that is irrelevant.

members online