Mixcraft vs. Pro Tools

yungboss

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Which is better and why. Try and give a brief review of each and the reason for your preference.

I've never used Pro Tools but I hear it's pretty good. Most proffesionals use it. My main dillemma with pro tools is its outrageous price...the cheapest one I've seen is 200 dollars (yea thats a big hit in the pockets).

I've used Mixcraft which is a lot cheaper (only 70 bucks) and from what understand does the exact same thing as Pro Tools. It has a smooth interface, recording is a breeze, and if you're a half assed producer, it even has loops you can use to put together half assed beats (please do not use these loops). Better than most, Mixcraft even works with VST Plugins meaning AUTO TUNE (please dont kill me).

My trial for Mixcraft ran out so now I have to buy the program........but I dont know which would be the better investment.

Any suggestions?

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
What are you goals in regard to music? If you want to work in a studio or with anyone else I would learn Pro tools and $200 is really not that much to get started I have seen Pro tools rigs as high as 200k of course they are going in a multi million dollar studio.

yungboss

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I guess Pro Tools sounds like my best bet but why does everyone dick ride Pro Tools so hard? I mean I understand its the industry standard but there are a lot of cheaper programs that do jus about the same thing.

What makes Pro Tools so special?

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
Well I am not the biggest PT fan but like 99% of all top 40 songs are recorded and mixed in PT. It is super nice just to take an external hard drive to a studio and just open the Pro Tools file and start working. It also has some very cool features that other programs dont have. Of course you can search for the thread I started called "Pro tools makes me want to shoot myself in the...." to see the negatives. But I would probably just get to work with it. If you have no money get ACID Free, Audacity, and Hammer head. All of those are free and if you cant make great beats in those getting other software wont help.

Quality

Godson of the Clapper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 19
I've never used mixcraft, but I would recommend pro tools because it is easy to use and has a lot of capabilities... I took 2 classes in pro tools and I still don't know everything you can do in that program. Everything from mixing to recording to even producing..it just allows a lot of creative freedom..

yungboss

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Well I am not the biggest PT fan but like 99% of all top 40 songs are recorded and mixed in PT. It is super nice just to take an external hard drive to a studio and just open the Pro Tools file and start working. It also has some very cool features that other programs dont have. Of course you can search for the thread I started called "Pro tools makes me want to shoot myself in the...." to see the negatives. But I would probably just get to work with it. If you have no money get ACID Free, Audacity, and Hammer head. All of those are free and if you cant make great beats in those getting other software wont help.

I use FL Studio...and my beats are pretty good but the guy at Guitar Center said that I might want to upgrade to Pro Tools. In the back of my mind I'm setting that as my next move but honestly, I fucking luv FL. No need to really upgrade that program. The program I do need to upgrade though is Adobe Audition (fucking hate this program) Thats why I was lookin at PT but I remember Mixcraft (the first program I used) was the unltimate of ultimate for me. When it comes to recording it gets no better than Mixcraft. Unfortunately I never used PT to have a solid opinion about it. The only thing I know about it is that the cheapest one is like 200. Who really wants to pay that much for a program?

But ultimately it looks like PT is gonna have to be my next move. Thanks for the advice

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
why do you feel like you have to 'upgrade' from fl?
why would you feel it's an 'upgrade'? (forget the gc employee 'advice')

pt isn't going to make your tracks better and it might slow down your progress due to learning a new software, even if pt is easy to learn (maybe less so for those use to pattern base sequencers). personally, i can't stand making tracks in pt (composing, beatmaking, scratch tracks, etc), it's too clunky and it's midi is still behind imo, but as far as tracking and mixing, i like it a lot (not as much as cubase).

if you make that move remember that you can rewire fl into pt

yungboss

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I dont want to upgrade FL/// I want to upgrade Adobe....cant use any VSTs with it. Honestly I dont even want PT....but if its what I need to enhance to the next level, I'll get it.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
"(forget the gc employee 'advice')"

I second that, its usually bad. Again if your goal is to work in the industry as a freelancer, you MUST know Pro Tools. It would be like a graphic designer not knowing Photoshop. If you want to make great tracks use what ever clicks with your brain. For me that is Reason/Record. I am Pro tools certified because I do work with other musicians/different studios, and I still record bands every now and then.

yungboss

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i'm not talking about upgrading fl, i'm talking about your interpretation of pt 'upping to the next level'.

again, why do you feel getting pro tools is a move up? what exactly are you expecting from it?

I say up to the next level because the guy at Guitar Center said that I would need it when I'm selling beats. I am a rapper primarily but I do intend to sell my beats at some point so I jus need to make sure if I'm going to invest 200 dollaz on a program that its gonna be worth every cent.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
Two things first few GC employees dont have a clue about anything, PERIOD! Seriously I can tell you stories...

Second you have to get over this $200 thing I have paid more for a plugin! I know it may seem like allot but $200 is nothing for software, when you should sell your first beat for $200 you break even on your first sale! Look at Nuendo its $1800 http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Nuendo4/ and worth every penny. BTW what Pro tools interface are you looking at getting? Are you a student? Then you can get Pro tools for $229 here http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MBox2MiniEdu/

Seriously if you are not willing to put some cash in to this dont expect amazing results. Not saying you have to burn tons of cash, but really $200 to do production is NOTHING half the people on this board started with an MPC at over $1000 in cost to them.

yungboss

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I was checkin out Nuendo,,, how is it? I dont really like the interphase. My problem isnt the amount of money um putting into a program...but if I am going to put 200- 1800 dollars into something....it better be 100% perfect

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
I dont want to upgrade FL/// I want to upgrade Adobe....cant use any VSTs with it. Honestly I dont even want PT....but if its what I need to enhance to the next level, I'll get it.

as of adobe 3 which came out over a year ago, you can use VSTi's with it and it always supported vst effects.
also i believe you cant just get pro tools and have it work without any of the hardware that supports it, ie: digi 002 or the mbox. if you think all you have to spend is the $200 your in for a surprise. if your not willing to spent the 200 on just pro tools it is better to just stick to what you have.

http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/

yungboss

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
this aint even a comparison. PT ALL DAY!!!!

and i use all my vst's/plugs rite in FL. i produce/create in FL, i arrange mix and edit it PT..... and record, cant forget that...

U record in FL!?!!?!?!?!?! How can you stand that interphase?? lol

yungboss

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
O iite cool...well I put Auto-Tune in audition so I'm happy. I dont need to buy any programs..umma jus stick with Audition for now. Another question I have is...are there any recommendations for Mics? I have a TASCAM TM-78 and it makes my voice sound deep when I record, it's just not natural. I don't know if it's because um not EQing rite or its jus the natural sound of my voice but my recordings sound too synthetic. Any suggestions?

members online