Mixing/Mastering in Reason

Erik

Battle Points: 8
Alongside technology changing workflow is changing and I have a question regarding workflow and mixing.

I work mostly in Reason8 Using a MPK49 to trigger various synths and occasionally use a software sampler to flip some of my own stuff.

As far as mixing goes... I kinda mix as I go. What I mean by this is that a lot of VST's have plugins already applied to create a certain sound (combinator patches, etc...). I also mean that after I record MIDI data, I'll often go in and apply any plugins or automation. I like to build piece by piece and I like to make sure things are sitting properly before I add another layer. If I was recording audio, I'd record as flat as possible and process after the fact, but with MIDI, I can switch any mixing on/off easily and all the information is right there.

From what I understand, this isn't the "right" method to go about it. My question is, why?

Once I record the MIDI, can I process that information like I have been or should I bus the stems and process the audio? If I am supposed to do the latter, why? What am I gaining opposed to processing the MIDI data?

I hope that makes sense... Any input would be a huge help!

Def Starz

If i got your question right. You are asking if you should mix straight away in your daw with all the vst's, samples and everything you used or should you export them in wav (stems, trackouts) and then open a whole new project where you would start the mix. The only difference is that the second option saves CPU, so if you tend to mix with a lot of plugins that use a lot of CPU that your sistem can't handle, then yes you should export it, but if you can mix in the original project without any trouble then that's fine too. I do it that way to be honest, even thou the common practice is to export stems and then mix everything.

Btw. it's normal to add automation and mix as you work on your song, i think that is a good preparation for a proper mix, just don't forget to do a "proper mix" after you are done with production. Honestly sound selection and the way you program the beat is of vital importance to a good mix. Simply put if you play all your instruments in a similar freq range then it will be hard to make the mix sound good

Spuntastic

cinephile/beatmaker
Battle Points: 82
even thou the common practice is to export stems and then mix everything.

Really? Besides the lower CPU usage, I don't see why (like Erik obviously). To me this sounds like a very inefficient method. What if I want to change some sounds in my drums AFTER I mixed with all the wav files? Like I said in the post before, I often change the sounds of my instruments after mixing the track because (for example) the hihat just doesn't fit with the melody or something like that. So if that happens I have to create a new hihat, export it and import it into the "wav-mix"?
I can see why people do this but I wonder why this would be the 'common practice'.

Def Starz

I can see why people do this but I wonder why this would be the 'common practice'.

I mix in the same project that i programmed the beat/song in, just like you. I think the "common practice" is due to several reasons. It might be that people did it that way before computers waren't powerful as now and the practice stayed with them to this day. It's also how mixing engineers get the tracks from their customers, so they don't have to have the same VST or DAW etc. just load the stems and go to work lol.

I actually think it's a good practice to do it that way if you ever plan on mixing for other people in the future. That way you learn how to deal with some problems in the mix without being able to "change" it in the production process of the track. That being said, i'm on the same boat as you, i like to fix the problem at the source of it and i think that's the best thing to do.