Reviews Monie Love - A Look Back

• beat this! voting starts in...

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
R-1740098-1252411610.jpg

In the late 1980's when rap music was blowing up to the point of waking up music executives, making them realize that this genre wasn't going away - Monie Love got noticed. In 1988 she began her career in the UK by teaming up with DJ Pogo, Sparki, and MC Mell'O to form the Jus Bad crew, where they released their first single "Free Style/Proud" on Tuff Groove.

Back then it was pretty rare for a woman to be an MC, and to be a popular one was even more rare. However, in 1989 she hooked up with none other than Queen Latifah on "Ladies First", a hugely popular single that to this day is still one of my favorites.

Monie also appeared on a Jungle Brothers' track called "Doin' Our Own Dang", and of course who could forget De La Soul's "Buddy". That apperance alone led her to a recording contract with Warner Bros. Records, which at the time was a huge accomplishment not just for a woman, but for a British act.

With the success of her collaborations with members of the Native Tongues, she eventually joined them, which featured a number of acts that were positive-minded, including A Tribe Called Quest. Her debut album "Down To Earth" led to her having two Grammy-nominated hits, "Monie In The Middle" and of course, "It's A Shame", both were the biggest hits of her career.

One of her most slept-on tracks was "Work It Out" off of the Boyz N The Hood movie soundtrack, which summed up her style perfectly with a fast track and even faster vocal delivery. Not only was Monie Love fast on the mic, she managed to maintain a good flow along with it, something you don't hear much or at all today.

Her second album was released in 1993, "In A Word Or 2", in which she collaborated with Marley Marl for most of the production, and also Prince! This album wasn't as popular as the first but that was obviously because of the lack of hit singles on it. She then released her last album, an EP in 2000 titled "Slice Of Da Pie".

Discography:

• Down To Earth LP - 1990
  • In A Word or 2 - 1993
  • I Can Do This - 1988
  • Grandpa's Party - 1989
  • Ladies First - 1989
  • Ring My Bell - 1990
  • Monie In The Middle - 1990
  • It's A Shame (My Sister) - 1990
  • Work It Out - 1991
  • Full Term Love - 1992
  • Never Give Up - 1993