need help with akai mpd 32

ill o.g.
im very new to the whole mpc thing but im really interested in the mpd 32 because of its low price... but does anyone have this thing? i got a few questions

-whats the difference between a mpc and mpd(is mpd for use on a pc?)

-because im new, im not really sure of all the things a 1000 or 2000 does, but can the mpd 32 do all the or partially all the things that the mpc's can? like record samples from turntables, and assign it to any key? can it record your beat and loop it? lol im noob....be kind

-can someone please tell me the disadvantages between having a 32 and a mpc (1000 or 2000xl etc.)

-do they have a simple learning curve?

-is the 32 strictly for use on a pc? and can i plug in my turntables to it to record samples?

any help is appreciated and remember im not planning on making amazing beats and selling them, i just want to get into it as a hobby i wont be in a studio, just using it in my room so its for a beginner/ hobby, now i found a very good deal on ebay and its very close to where i live so the shipping is about 14$ and its comes with free hip hop samples,and a free year subscription to remix magazine so anyway i think this is the right one for me so can anyone help me out thanks..

found a review on youtube

and here's the ebay link
http://cgi.ebay.com/AKAI-MPD32-MPD-...ryZ38069QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

also the mpd 24 is alot cheaper, like 185$ brand new so that one also good for me, let me know

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
the MPD is used with a program like Reason or Fruity loops or w.e its compatible with idk about the 32 but i have the 16 so im not sure if u can plug anything in it like a record player but there are soundcards with inputs for a record player to be plugged in in the computer

the Mpc is its own sequencer no computer is required its samples and got many options but its on a little screen but that doesnt really matter..its a very fine piece but if u like using software like reason then the mpd is perfect cuz u still get that live feel from hitting the pads which are the same pads used on an MPC..
if you dont like using software and wanna work with just one piece of equipment then go with the Mpc which i believe does have inputs for you to connect a record player in it..the mpc depending on what u get ranges from 1200 up do 4500 and a mpd are in the hundreds..

i prefer the mpd because i feel i have more options cuz i use reason with it so and its capable of so much and i like looking at a moniter than a little screen like the mpc has

the mpc got its own distinct groove or swing to your drums but the new reason has a function where u can adjust what kinda swing u want which is great..

it may sound like im being biased but i just like the MPD more but im not taking anything away from the MPC cuz its great and u can make great music on either one its really just preference...

T

The Arkitekt

im like 99.9999% sure the mpd is just a controller and can't be used as a standalone sampler. it needs a sequencer/software to be used as a sampler

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
im like 99.9999% sure the mpd is just a controller and can't be used as a standalone sampler. it needs a sequencer/software to be used as a sampler

it is u need a sequencer on the PC like reason or fruity loops or w.e

ill o.g.

so if i ripped samples from my tables to the pc and put the ripped audio into the program(fl,etc) then i could assign one of the pads to the sample i choose?

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
its quite easy. just do not mix up a midi-device with a sampler. a midi device (like MPD32) controlls other stuff. it does not "sample". you sample with your computer and controll it with the mpd32.
you have software installed (like this one http://www.modernbeats.com/images/battery_main.jpg) on your pc, load a sample into the software, then press a pad on your mpd32, and the mpd tells your computer to play the sound.

with an MPC you do not need a pc, the pc is allready inside.

both ways to work have benefits and shortcommings;

MPD+PC
+cheaper, more freedom with editing samples, faster, more effects
-you have to learn the software, sound is weaker, good soundcard is important

MPC
+better sound, more fun, fame and respect
-editing samples can be a pain, importing sounds takes more time, expensive

id say, if your in it for fun, you can afford it and youre not into music software, get the mpc.

even better: get the mpc1000 or 2500. they come with usb and midi
so, once you discover the power of editing sounds on the computer and then playing it on your mpc, you have the perfect combination.

ask if the pads are allright, when getting a 1000, they like to break
have fun

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
so if i ripped samples from my tables to the pc and put the ripped audio into the program(fl,etc) then i could assign one of the pads to the sample i choose?
exactly

edit: you need 2 kinds of software on your pc (as relic and fury mentioned)
1. sequncer software (fl, reason, cubase, acid etc.)
2. software sampler (battery, guru fxpansion etc)

ill o.g.
ok thanks alot guys you've been extremely helpful, i think im going to go with the mpd for now and if i get good at it i might consider buying an mpc, the reason is because i dont want to spend the 1000$+ and get an mpc and its hard to use or i dont find it fun anymore or for any other reason, i'd rather waste 300$ instead of 1000$ but i think im going to like producing and i dont think i'l be wasting my money

members online