Need software better than FL Studio.

H.Quality

ILLIEN
I've been using FL for over a year now, and honestly, I like it a lot, but my version has too many bugs & glitches, its driving me crazy, I need something more reliable (Anything!)

Today I was just getting started making a beat, I had my piano chopped up, and I was laying out some drums, then suddenly - computer crashes (this happens a lot, only when Im using FL though. Its just this blue screen that says its restarting to protect the computer or something) and I basically lost half of what I'd done. I was able to revert back to the last autosave but I lost the drums and the project started going weird, so I just scrapped it.

Now I've never had any problems with Reaper (A couple with Cool Edit, but nothing this major)

Anyway, my question is, where to I go from here?
I can't afford to buy it, and I'm sick of using it. Is there another software out there that runs smoother?

I love FLs basic, super efficient interface, I don't want to step down to something that completely sucks
I tried ableton but I can't get the hang of it.

Reason looks good, but I want to be able to use my vsts and sound packs.

(Oh and btw sorry If I'm messing up words, or coming of as a dick. I haven't slept)

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Well FL should not be crashing like that have you updated to the newest version? What about the latest drivers for your audio interface? What version of windows?

I would say that the most reliable software on the planet by far is Reason, but I don't know that I would switch for that reason alone. It seems like you have something wrong with your rig. What are the specs?

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 170
Try another version. the problem may be with your particular version, not the brand. Or maybe your computer. check those two before u give up on FL . When u find a DAW that fits your work flow, that's priceless right there.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Honestly, I can't ever recall FL Studio crashing on me in the 10 or so years that I've had it. If you like FL, but frustrated because of the problems...I would suggest upgrading your computer over finding another DAW and having to re-learn it.

If you can't afford to do that and you are familiar with Reaper, then go with that. I've read some really good reviews on Reaper and a lot of producers worry because it's an extremely small program (2mb I think...) but Reapers developer/s are extremely committed to improving it (a lot like NI is with Maschine) and that means a lot.

Also, If you didn't like Ableton, I don't think you'd like Reason even more, they're nothing alike but I've tried both and neither where for me...no hate, just my opinion.

I'm just guessing here but I think you're crashing issues will go away if you upgrade your RAM and it's pretty cheap. I went from 8gb of RAM to 16gb for under a hundred bucks at Best Buy.

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm still all over Podium. They have a free version and their 'pro' version is only 50 bucks.

I'm still writing an article about it but you can check 'em out @ http://www.zynewave.com

You can see it a little bit is some of my videos, more so in Keys x Pads 1 and everything I've actually put out thus far has been with Podium. I still make beats in Reason as well as Podium and Geist, i want to eventually get my hands on Groove Machine and check that thing out.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I've never had an issue with FL studio like that....

I dont' think I've crashed with it....

Is this a legit copy? =x

jstoddart

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
A blue screen error is a hardware problem. Not your software bro .m

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I will agree that the blue screen is a hardware issue.....

Did you just recently install new RAM?

H.Quality

ILLIEN
Sorry about the late reply..been busy, forgot about the thread

My specs are..

28argyg.png

I'm using FL Studio 10 (Not a legit copy, I can't lie. Money is tight)

My interface is a Scarlet 8i6 by Focusrite. (Latest drivers installed)

The blue screen only comes for a few seconds so I don't get lot of details

"check newly installed hardware and software"
"disk space"

could either of those be relevant? I don't know a lot about this stuff haha..

I've always had problems with FL Studio, its not just this. (Although this has been the most severe) workflow always felt kind of awkward with it, a change is probably for the best.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
IDK man, other than that CPU sucks. Maybe run a ram test off a bootable CD to see if there is any ram issue.

http://www.memtest.org/

But there is a bunch of great stuff about FL that you will miss. Live or Reason probably make the most sense in that context. Reason 6 is all but impossible to pirate. Live you could maybe get a hold of, but I hate the idea picked a software based on pirating it. Spend the cash and buy it when you can.

But yea test the ram.

H.Quality

ILLIEN
IDK man, other than that CPU sucks. Maybe run a ram test off a bootable CD to see if there is any ram issue.

http://www.memtest.org/

But there is a bunch of great stuff about FL that you will miss. Live or Reason probably make the most sense in that context. Reason 6 is all but impossible to pirate. Live you could maybe get a hold of, but I hate the idea picked a software based on pirating it. Spend the cash and buy it when you can.

But yea test the ram.

I've got so many issues with it that it really rather just cut my losses and rebuild. I've been using it for less than a year, so change won't be a huge deal. My dude got Reason, everything I've read about it sounds good. Apparently FL users find the transition difficult, but I don't mind that. I like a challenge haha

Oh and I simply don't have the cash..I'm still in school, and I'm not about to ask my fam for 500, thats a lot where I'm at.

Thanks for the heads up on the ram though, ill check that out. Would that be directly related to CPU? My whole system has been running pretty shaky as of late. CPU is always in the 64-100 range.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
It's your RAM! you've got a bad card. My computer was doing the exact same thing! I changed my cards and my graphic scheme to Windows basic and it hasn't done it since.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Take it to Best Buy (dp hates them...lol), and have them put you a new stick of RAM in there. Shouldn't cost more than $50. It's a 5 min fix.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
Dac, this is bad advice. Test your ram and find out if there is a bad stick before doing anything! And taking a computer to best buy for repair is like taking your car to wallmart for repair. They cant afford a employee who knows what they are doing. And most of the time will leave it in worse shape than when you brought it in.

Also there are MANY different things that can cause a Blue Screen. There is no way of knowing if it is bad ram or something else. In fact I would say only 10% of the time when I encounter it, is it bad ram.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
I told you, he hates BB...but my thinking is...you've got to really try hard to screw up installing RAM! You don't have to be on the Geek Squad to do it. But ok, find a local Computer Repair shop to do it.

And...excuse me, Walmart does great oil changes! I take all my cars there for that.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Wally World doesn't do repairs.

You can't condemn the world for what one man does...plus dude is in school and on a budget, he just wants his ish working. You can do the test, update your drivers but changing the RAM is like changing air filters, you take the old one out and put the new one in...that simple, 5 mins. tops...the only reason I said go to BB is because they warrant their work, if it messes up, take it back...just like anywhere else.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
why does this end up with cars again lol

Like stated by DP, AMD is a gamer's choice...Intel is the best for running your daw.

You should be able to test ram with the OEM software, mostly they come with a hardware test you can run from bios. From my experience, bad ram is mostly not even recognized by the OS.

FL is fine, i agree with dac that ive never had a BSOD due to FL.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
but changing the RAM is like changing air filters, you take the old one out and put the new one in...that simple.

No, no it is not like this. This is bad advice!

You can't condemn the world for what one man does.

Huh? Best buy has sucked in every town I have lived (That is three best buys and three geek squads with multiple techs) in and is nationally known at being terrible at what they do.

See

http://helpdeskgeek.com/random/why-computer-repair-services-like-geek-squad-sucks/

http://best-buy.pissedconsumer.com/geek-squad-sucks-20120111288221.html

http://geek-squad.pissedconsumer.com/geek-squad-sucks-20110907260366.html

http://forums.techguy.org/reviews/396958-geek-squad-incompetent.html

Geek squad is an insult to the work real techs do and make the entire industry look bad!