No user upgrades for Maschine

1. Fade

Fade

VIP Member
    Beat Scientist
    Administrator
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    With the announcement of the Maschine MK3, I've seen a lot of comments on various sites about whether or not current MK1 or MK2 owners can get an upgrade option.

The answer from NI is - nope.

Now, of course it's business and businesses are trying to make money - I get that. Some may argue that it's a new product so if you want it, you have to pay full price for it. Sure, I understand.

However, what I don't understand is how there's no upgrade option at all. I know it's both hardware and software together, but it's still the same product line: MK1 --> MK2 --> MK3.

But check this out:

reason.jpg

From the Reason website, it clearly shows that if you currently own Reason and want to upgrade to version 9, there's an option for that. They're not forcing you to buy the full version all over again.

With Native Instruments, there is no option at all. Maschine is a hardware unit plus software, and even if the MK3 comes with a different version, it doesn't matter. It's still on the same product line, so essentially it should be an upgrade. I've seen on their forums where many are saying, "it's only $599". Hold on. That's U.S. pricing. In Canada it's $799. Plus there's tax. Shipping. So for me it could cost over $900! How is that fair?

Anyway, I just wanted to vent about it because I think NI should give their customers upgrades.

What do you think about this? Not just with NI but with any company that doesn't give upgrades?

Drago Zetić likes this.
  2. tomkillsjerry

tomkillsjerry

ILLIEN
    Battle Points:
    Yea that's some BS. FL studio is free updates for life.
    You buy it once.
    Now they are just going to abandon updates for everyone who bought the Studio or mk2 ?
    I wasn't planning on buying a new one anyway. Now I think I might. But an MPC instead.
    I'll definitely never buy a keyboard from NI

Drago Zetić likes this.
  3. Fade

Fade

VIP Member
    Beat Scientist
    Administrator
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    Shit, I didn't know FL was for life!? That's dope.

NI never had upgrades but I just think with their huge user base that they would, in order to keep customers happy.

If you mean updates to the software, that they give you, but I'm talking about a new product, which I think should still qualify somewhat as an upgrade.

4. OGBama

OGBama

Beatmaker
    @Fade this is why I'll never mess w/NI period. @tomkillsjerry I wish FL had a Mac version.

5. thedreampolice

thedreampolice

blue is greener than purple for sure...
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    But you are talking about hardware here. Should you get an discounted price on a new MPC because you had an old one?

NI has great upgrading pricing on all their software. But hardware upgrade pricing makes no sense to me.

6. Fade

Fade

VIP Member
    Beat Scientist
    Administrator
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    See that's the argument everyone has that since hardware is involved there shouldn't be an upgrade price. I think their should be given that it's the same product line using the same software. From what I saw on their forums when someone said that they jumped all over them like it was blasphemy lol.

Let's say someone bought the MPC Studio and then the Studio Black came out. I think it's fair that they get an upgrade or at least there should be a buy back program of sorts.

7. thedreampolice

thedreampolice

blue is greener than purple for sure...
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    If you keep the old hardware you do get upgrade pricing on the software. I think that’s pretty fair.

8. wrightboy

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    agreed

9. tomkillsjerry

tomkillsjerry

ILLIEN
    Battle Points:
    @OGBama idk what the deal is with then getting it out. Probably apple not being too helpful with debugging. I just can't do Mac's myself I build my owns systems and apple doesn't like you messing with the stuff you bought. Oh well

10. Fade

Fade

VIP Member
    Beat Scientist
    Administrator
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    I think it would also be fair if they gave customers the option to buy only the hardware!

11. Ovacean

Ovacean

Just call me Ov.
    Im gonna get the Mk3 and sell the Mk2. Boom.

The upgrade from Maschine 1 to Maschine 2 was discounted for those that already had the hardware. I'm not going anywhere anytime soon because everything i make in maschine or anything else NI is drag n drop when i dj and wanna load up my remix/stems decks. AND F***************CK serato. lolol. thats a whole different story

12. DJWIDEBODY

DJWIDEBODY

man Akai still hasn't fully released the 2.0 version for around a year now and i think you are going to have to pay for the 2.0 as well if u ahave the 1.8

13. tomkillsjerry

tomkillsjerry

ILLIEN
    Battle Points:
    Damn. They're all getting their money before we hit the producer saturation point and it all collapses