Now that i've put my beats on CD, how do i get Artist(Rappers) to check them out?

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I'm an inspiring music producer, I want the BIG BOYZ to check how I get down with beats...Where do I start? TAXI ? Record labels A/R Depts.?

K.O.

Watch out 4 the KnockOut
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
i wish i knew the answer to that question. Holla at me if you find out. Maybe you could mail demo's but everyone does that and they probably get trashed without being listened to. i think you gotta know the man that knows the man that knows the brothers sisters husband who is the man to get put on and be known now a days

Knock Out

Rap's Genious
ill o.g.
LoL

What up K.O. - nice name, I've had mine for a while now. I can't believe you two are seriously asking how to get people to use your beats... if they're hot, what's the problem?? I produce for 4 of the NICEST kids I've EVER even heard rap. (I'm 17, these kids are like 19-22.) Not only do these kids thinks of ME as thier only producer, but I get down on tracks and do my thing too. BUT, saying that doesn't mean shit. I'll definently have full tracks posted all through-out this summer, I've got the ill hook for studio time. ($10 an hour, and all copies and shit free.) Watch out for Down & Out productions this summer ya'll...

The difference between me and ya'll, is the fact that I'm beyond this internet shit. I'm actually workin' hard, gettin' my shit out to the public. We're planning a show in like 2 weeks for the Chance here in NY, and about 2 months ago me and some of my boys won 2 school talent shows. We're doin' aight for ourselves.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Decalion, I've always said that there are a few ways to do this. One would be to hook up with local MC's in your area and have them spit over your tracks and you can put out a CD like that (as full songs) which will give you some exposure.

Another way is to somehow get your product to the A&R's of record labels because they're the ones looking for producers for their artists (I got this from Wendy Day herself). Of course sending your material to them through the mail will only get it sent back or thrown in the trash. The best way would be to get your lawyer to send it for you, which basically tells the A&R that you're important since a LAWYER actually took the time to send/bring your demo to them.

There are so many other options such as doing live shows with some MC's, etc.

milLion

buildin'
ill o.g.
the first place really to start would be on the street -- get out there and network -- let people see you -- and hear your music -- go to local record stores to help you solicit your material -- build it from the ground and make the A&R's come after you

HaZwaiOh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
congratulations knock out. i´m glad to see you are making it big. but apart from glorifying yourself your post did not really answer dacalion´s answer. what ever ...

I think local rapper´s are a good way to start out and spread your name and work. (I don´t believe in people that have been making beats for 2 years and now are making beats for Nas) I would not limit myself to just one artist, but try to work with more of them and work your way up there. Just some ideas and good luck!

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Thanks for the advice Fade, HaZwaiOh, milLion and K.O...I guess that i'm going for the whole 9 here...I want the major league to check me out. I've produced tracks for many local rappers and up until this point, only one group has actually went on to make CD's and they ended up breaking up after the 2nd album. I feel that beats and rapping are 2 different entities. When the A/R groups hear a song, they hear a somewhat finished product which means that the rapping part could be wack and your beat could be the next triple platinum hit (with the right Artist spitting on it). But it's not judged that way, from my past experience your work is judged as a TOTAL product. In my little dream world, I would search for producers and Artist separately...that would eliminate the the chance of just being lucky enuff to find the right combination of lyrics, music, image and all the blah blah blah that goes with making it BIG ! :)~

P.S. Knock Out, I want to congradulate you on your success too. But I think you missed the part when I said "BIG BOYZ". Nevertheless, I hope you BLOW UP.

holla back--ONE dac

inrctyhoodmusic

Muzik Militant
ill o.g.
The best way to get your beats heard by the big boys is to get a manager....I tried it without a manager and none of the big boys accept unsolicited material...I've been to atlantic records Def Jam
and J records when it first got started and all of them told me the same thing the only luck I had was a Elektra records because my homeboy was nailing the A&R of the R&B department but she found out he was married and wont talk to him any more

T-Dash

Fo-net-ic-ly Spee-kin
ill o.g.
Ayo...if you gonna be sending your shit to record labels, make sure its copyrighted....you don't wanna see no thread come up here at illmuzik.com in a few months titled "Anyone hear Swizz's new beat"...anyways, just be careful and build ya name up like everyone is saying. Sell beats online like Rockwise, Soleternity, JC, etc, send out tapes to record labels, try and get with local rappers and do shows, etc....the usual....just gotta get a hustle together....peace!

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Ahhhhh, more helpful advice. Thanks inrcty and T-Dash. Thats what I'm looking for...i'll keep you all informed of my progress. Good looking out !

--dac

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
The Swizz beats argument continues here, i wouldnt be surprised if T-Dash's last name was Dean, but anyway in this day where Every bodys the fuckin CEO of their bedroom u cant believe anybod but your goddamn self, get in peoples faces get your shit out there on your own fuck a lawyer fuck the mailman do it youreself, if u in New York which u arent (Dac) its the easiest thing to get in these peoples faces if u have the patience to sit around for hours but it may be worth it, they have a list of every important contact in the industry, see if u can get your hands on that i hears its pretty expensive though (12 pages), travel get out of north carolina, or hook up with somebody there, nowadays north carolina kids is gettin 4 mics in the source (little brother), u gotta make sure these people know your nameand your face, cuz they have jobs u need them u cant sit back and wait for phone calls harrass these cats yo, and if Swizz Beats steals yo shit then he REALLY aint shit (welcome to the club) Just Jokin.

K.O.

Watch out 4 the KnockOut
ill o.g.
Im mad that this Knock Out guy has my name!!!!!! newbies man why do they do it? then gonna say he had his for a while.....your a newbie youve only had it this month.....dont make my name look bad thats all i ask.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Guevara, You are off the hook bro...hahahaha. Thats the radical approach. Check this out...i'm feeling what you're saying! Thanks for the good advice.

holla--dac

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
Guerilla shit dunn....thats why its Guevara (CHE) yeah no problem, if u dont do it somebody else will

members online