placing the hooks in protools

B.Hawk

THE PRIVATE
ill o.g.
what is the easiest way to do this so all u have to do is copy and paste. I guess im asking what are steps to copying and pasting the hooks so it all flows?!?!?

E

Equality 7-2521

Erm, control + c then control + v?

Be more specific if possible. What exactly is the problem?

Iszazial

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
find out the original BPM of the beat that was made then set your tempo to match in protools then change the snap to grid. use markers to identify your hook spots in the beat and CTRL + D is the fastest that i know. it will replicate the highlighted file, copy it and paste it directectly right after where the first one left off.

hope that helps

p.s. rta's

get some get some unoffical digidesign effects

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
and it's important to experiment, each song is unique and should be treated as such. though when straying from the 16bar verse 4bar hook be consistent throughout yoru song so there is structure.

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
Iszazial said:
find out the original BPM of the beat that was made then set your tempo to match in protools then change the snap to grid. use markers to identify your hook spots in the beat and CTRL + D is the fastest that i know. it will replicate the highlighted file, copy it and paste it directectly right after where the first one left off.

This is the best bet, if you're not gonna do it all live. It's nice to have live hooks, but only if the emcee is consistent like that. I always look for quality shit like that. Like, if I have a guitarist, I'd PREFER him to play all the way through the track instead of copying n pasting, but like I said, only if he's nice.

For all other times, I do like Iszazial said.

To find the tempo of your song and map it out:
If you imported your beat from FL or some other software, and forgot the bpm... Use "tab to transients" and find the beginning of the kick, and select almost 4 complete bars. Hold down shift and hit tab so it selects exactly kick to kick, exactly 4 bars. Now go to Identify Beat I think it's Ctrl + I (Apple + I on mac). Tell it to go from 1/1/001 to 5/1/001. This will select exactly 4 bars and your tempo will display on top. Now, make sure your kick is exactly in the beginning of the session, or exactly on one bar... Undo the tempo change (the tempo will be mapped out ONLY for that 4 bar stretch, and you have to do it for the whole session). Go to Midi --> Change Tempo... Tell it the tempo that read out when you did "Identify Beat".

Now your tempo should reflect at the top. Put the session in Grid Mode. Now you can copy your hooks exactly on the bar, and then paste it later in the session at the same corresponding bar. Sometimes it's good to select everything, like if there are a few "uh uh uh's" right before every hook, you may wanna select those as well. Just make sure if you copy right before the drop of the bar, then paste right before the drop in that same spot later in your session.

I'm REALLY spellin shit out here, sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Hypnotist said:
This is the best bet, if you're not gonna do it all live. It's nice to have live hooks, but only if the emcee is consistent like that. I always look for quality shit like that. Like, if I have a guitarist, I'd PREFER him to play all the way through the track instead of copying n pasting, but like I said, only if he's nice.

For all other times, I do like Iszazial said.

To find the tempo of your song and map it out:
If you imported your beat from FL or some other software, and forgot the bpm... Use "tab to transients" and find the beginning of the kick, and select almost 4 complete bars. Hold down shift and hit tab so it selects exactly kick to kick, exactly 4 bars. Now go to Identify Beat I think it's Ctrl + I (Apple + I on mac). Tell it to go from 1/1/001 to 5/1/001. This will select exactly 4 bars and your tempo will display on top. Now, make sure your kick is exactly in the beginning of the session, or exactly on one bar... Undo the tempo change (the tempo will be mapped out ONLY for that 4 bar stretch, and you have to do it for the whole session). Go to Midi --> Change Tempo... Tell it the tempo that read out when you did "Identify Beat".

Now your tempo should reflect at the top. Put the session in Grid Mode. Now you can copy your hooks exactly on the bar, and then paste it later in the session at the same corresponding bar. Sometimes it's good to select everything, like if there are a few "uh uh uh's" right before every hook, you may wanna select those as well. Just make sure if you copy right before the drop of the bar, then paste right before the drop in that same spot later in your session.

I'm REALLY spellin shit out here, sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

Yeah this probably is a good theoretical but I have done a lot beats that I had to place a copied hook and it depends on the emcee, there is not going to be a mathematical placement of exactly where a hook should come in, some hooks come in right at the tail of what the emcee is doing sort of blend and some you have a small pause, so for me the ear is the best bet to place a hook even though I do believe this method will get you in the ballpark but you take into account and the pure analog mind that an emcee has that either do a lot of ad lib or not right on queue this is not going to get you 100% and if so not every time on the placement so you gotta do some manual manipulation too....just my 2 cents though....the variable of the emcee and the way the hook is formed or written will put a wrench in this theory.

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
Yea, this is true. I've worked with a lot of emcees who don't do it on time. For that, I try to direct them a little... but some just don't have the talent to get it every time.

As for the consistency, this is for when it's actually ON time. For when you actually DO correct it and manipulate it so the ad libs drop on beat, etc. THEN you copy the hooks and it'll be right on every time, the way it was performed, or the way you manipulated it.

B.Hawk

THE PRIVATE
ill o.g.
i know that the hook comes after the verse, i mean when recording, you record the hook one time, now in order for it to sound the same for the second, third and so on times you have to copy and paste the hook and place them in the correct spot. how do u do it with ease especially if you are using a mouse? Lemme know if i need to clarify this some more. Thanks for the help!

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
well first off you need to select every track that has the hook, you can copy and paste like someone said but in order to move it you need to always have all of the tracks if you have layers that make up the hook, then as has been said you can slide them appropriatlely or like has been said use the formula or shortcut in your program, whether it is protools or fruity loops....is that what you're looking for? if not then yeah you need to clarify more what you want because I think everything in the thread appears to address the way the original question was posed...

Iszazial

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
B.Hawk said:
i know that the hook comes after the verse, i mean when recording, you record the hook one time, now in order for it to sound the same for the second, third and so on times you have to copy and paste the hook and place them in the correct spot. how do u do it with ease especially if you are using a mouse? Lemme know if i need to clarify this some more. Thanks for the help!

do you not have a regular keyboard? cuz there are tons of shortcut keys. CTRL-D (this will duplicate the file and place the duplicate directly after automaticly), CTRL-C (copys the file) CTRL-V (pastes the copy you have made with ctrl-c).
this is as easy as it gets but you have to make sure you have the curser selected which is called the "selector tool" found to the left of the curser that looks like the hand or else you will have trouble pasting the flie. thats why i like ctrl-d

if your just looking for a fast easy way of doing it then all i canreally say is practice with the program more then you will just get use to it.
also you can use markers to reference specific spots in the beat, such as the first kick in a beat of where you want the chorse and record from that marked spot so you know exactly where the timing is going to be after you copy and paste it to the next place.
another hint is to use the ZOOM so your placement is much more precise for timming!

B.Hawk

THE PRIVATE
ill o.g.
Chrono you are a smart ass, but thanks to everyone else for the help!!!!!!!